Dog problem?

• gregory
    Red wing,mn

I have a ten year old lab and she wont gain any weight so i took her to the vet and they charged me $200 dollars to tell me she has a peice of metal in her stomach ,they said they think they can get out in surgery but for like 300-500 dollars? now the problem is i’m stuck on what i should do with her $700 is a lot to spend on a ten year old lab ..

the_grump
    Le Center

Tough choice, my brothers older lab swallowed a golf ball, cost $1000 to take care of it. The dog died 6 months later from another illness.
    Good luck, tough choices ahead.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

The $200 is already spent, so you’re down to $300-$500. To me, that’s part of owning a dog. If she has no other problems and the vet feels good about long term prognosis, I’d go for it. You’ll feel better about it IMO.

Eric

dea
    Hixton, WI

I would check with a few other vets in the area. It will come down to: do you have the funds and will the dog have quality of life after surgery.
    Our dog developed diabetes and we had to give him shots. It ended up being expensive over the years, but he had quality of life until the end. He lived to be 14 years old.
    It is a very hard decision to make.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Depends if your animal is a yard ornament or a family pet.
    Like previously stated, you have already accepted the responsiblity to own a dog. Do what is “right” to ensure that no matter what, the dog doesn’t suffer.

My old lab lived to be just shy of 14. So, pending on the overall health of the dog, 10 can be young and it can be old.

Having animals grow old on a family is very tough business. Sooner or later, the time will come where you have to do the humane thing of putting your buddy down.

primary point here is don’t let your pup suffer.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

I agree ith Gary, my wife and I had a 12 year old yellow Lab that developed a thyroid probelm. We spent a bunch of money, but it came to a point that the dogs quality of life was not what she deserved. We had her put down at home and as of this day do not regret our decision. It was the toughest decision we both had to make as we had 2 young kids that adored that dog.

Good luck, I am sure you will do what’s best.

john

eddielee
    Dubuque, Iowa

Sorry to hear that, my GSP got into some plastic that would not pass after surgery he lost all his endurance. Very tough decision to make.
    Good luck

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

My Lab and I are really close. I would do anything to help him out. Gary’s point was a good one. Is it a yard ornament or a close family dog? Seems like that cost is well spent money for another year or few with a best bud.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I would get a second opinion. Is the dog in pain? Is her health deteoriating due to this? At that age, I would likely not spend $3-5 hundred dollars.

I’m a cold souled bast_rd when it comes to animals. I don’t get attached like I see a lot of people. I completely disagree with the “you owe” the dog. You have to decide what is best for you financially and emotionally. Good luck with your decision, I don’t envy you.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am in total agreement with Kooty on this. He stated exactly how I view animals of any kind, they are not humans and should not be treated like one.
    In the end, do what you think is right.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

My opinion is if you truley love your dog and it’s not unhealthy then go for it. Get it the help it needs. I know on the farm if a cow ate a hunk of metal we’d shove a magnet down and then maybe the peice of metal would pass through with the magnet. They make a special shaped one for just that.

Did they find out about the metal with Xrays? 200 bucks to tell ya that she has metal in her stomach? Maybe find another vet!

timmy

I am with Kooty and Wats on this one. I love my dog like another kid except…..she is a dog. 300-500? depending on your situation, it may or may not be a good call.

I don’t envy your decision – it sucks. Best wishes. I have opted out of expensive surgeries in the past and it was tough. Cried my eyes out, because I loved the dogs, but in the end I realized that they were not people – they were dogs. Done it before, will do it again – and it will suck every time.

Tim

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

If the dog is otherwise healthy…..I would do it personally. Yet again, I am also one that will pay to have surgeries done on my hunting partners joints or whatever if required (and I have). They are not human….but they are a part of our family and will be treated as such. Unless it financially harms your family…..

It boils down to personal choice. Some will do whatever they need to make sure their hunting partners are happy/healthy……others don’t believe a dog is worth that and would have it put down (or do it themselves).

Quote:

they are not humans and should not be treated like one.

What does this mean exactly?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.