Keeping the boat outside over winter?

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Guys, I am thinking about keeping my Lund stored outside over winter. This is the first year I’ve had this boat. I’ve never had a “nice boat” to worry about but even with my older boat I was able to store it in the garage most of the time. Now, with a new boat, I’m more concerned but I imagine other people have to store their boat outside as well. One of my concerns is that I would not be in the area to keep removing snow from the cover over the winter. I am looking for some feedback on what precautions I should take if I do this. I hate to spend a bunch of money to put it in storage and I don’t have access to my garage with it this year. But, if it’s a must I will. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mine has always been kept outside in the driveway and each time it snows I brush the snow off. I don’t like the idea of it being outside, especially the boat I have now but I don’t have a garage. Brushing the snow off of it is a must in my book so it doesn’t turn to ice and collapes the cover and fill the boat with snow and ice. Might look into storage this year as I just don’t like the idea of it being outside all winter. Too much money put into it and I plan on keeping it for along time. Missed hooking up with you at Okoboji Wade. But theres always next years ”Get Together” if you can make it. Thanks, Bill

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Bill. I decided to take my son fishing instead of going up to Okoboji. I am looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks from the site. Going to have to try to make a get together next year. I’ll have a little more time to plan this time around.

On the boat, I may look into storing it depending on what I hear back. My greatest concern is just what you stated. I would not be around to remove the snow from the cover. I’m planning to store it on the campground near Battle Lake, MN. I could keep it in my drive way here at home but it presents a real problem for snow removal in the drive and prevents me from moving in and out of the garage at all. I have a terrible drive way set up here.

If anyone knows of a cheap place to store a boat near Battle Lake, MN I’d be interested.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Wade,
    For about $200 you can buy a canope to put over it. I have two that I use for my boats. This way you don’t have to keep the cover on them all the time. You can also get them with sides so the snow doesn’t drift up against it. It’s just another option to look at.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I leave mine outside with only the canvas cover on it. I only have to brush the snow off a couple times each winter, but given the last few winters we’ve had, it’s only snowed a couple of times.

Most of the guys around town here in CR who’s boats sit outside all winter put a plastic tarp over top the canvas cover and wrap it up like a big burrito. I would think that for about $40 you could buy enough PVC piping, elbows, and a tarp to build a decent support structure to sit in the boat and keep it safe and cozy. If you do this, you need to insure that it is totally dry when you put it away because the plastic tarp won’t breathe.

If you buy a black tarp, I would think it should soak up enough sunshine to melt any snowfall less then about 4″.

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I keep mine outside in the backyard every winter, because I only have a 1-car garage. I do all the normal prep-for-storage stuff, and then cover it with the canvas cover and a heavy plastic tarp. I use enough support to “hump up” the covers to facillitate brushing the snow off, and have had no problems. You do need to make sure to brush the snow off, definitely. The other thing I do is remove the tires and set the trailer on blocks to try to help prevent dry-rot. It may not be necessary, but I had problems with an old sled trailer, and it just seems like not that much extra work for a little cheap insurance. Hope this helps.
    Greg

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I keep one of mine outside and use the PVC to create a nice peak I keep on the inside of the boat and throw the boat cover over. This way the rain and most snow run off. It cost me about $10 and worth every penny.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. I like the idea about using PVC to keep the cover up and also the extra tarp (black sounds good G.). I was thinking about the tires too. I hate to take them off but it sounds like a good idea. Again guys, thanks for the ideas!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If I may add a little input too.

What we’ve done in the past is make a “teepee” out of 16′ & 20′ 2x4s. It is very easy. This way, your boat sits underneath it. Lay the tarp over the frame and the snow will not build up. Also, I highly recommend that you place the tires and tongue jack on cinder blocks for two reasons. #1: Mice. #2: it will keep the tires from freezing in the ground when you have your early and late season freeze and thaws. The nice thing about the teepee frame is if you have a nice day during the winter, you can pull it out and hit the river. Use “sheet rock” screws and it makes it easy to dissassemble during the summer…

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade I kept the old Lund and the new Alumacraft outside.Always made sure I got the snow off as soon as I could.Also wrapped a extra tarp around it and a few blankets around the motor.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.