cranks, spinner baits, worms……..

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Here is a good question that I challenge the best to answer.

When starting off in the day chasing bass (small or large).

What makes you choose between starting with a crank, spinnerbait, or worm. I would understand using the worm once you figured out the fish are in a neutral pattern. But what time of the year do you use the three baits.

Also, when you cast cranks, are you throwing minnow baits, or wobblers??? Again, what dictates???

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

When starting off in the day chasing bass (small or large).

hey gary,
    why would you ever want to start off your day going after small bass???

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I nearly always start with spinner baits in the morning for bass. My thought is they will be shallow and tight to shallow water structure in the early morning. I start with a spinner bait to cover more water quickly, and I’m less likely to pull in a bunch of weed than with a crank. If they’ll hit the spinners, no need to switch to anything else. I do think Spring is the best time for spinners. Summer probably calls for plastics but I would still start with spinners in the morning. The exception to the rule might be on lakes that get heavy pressure. I think those bass probably have seen so many spinners buy June 15th that your best off throwing anything else…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Mother of all Questions, no doubt.

Okay, usually I will start off by checking in-depthangling and see what is working for others even if they’re in a different location. This usually helps to narrow down what the fish are responding to. Bait shop owners are usually glad to give advice as well, although some are just shilling for whatever inventory they’ve got to push, so be careful there.

If I go in ‘cold’ then conditions dictate. If I’m after fast current smallies, I’ll usually start with either a spinnerbait or a jig/plastic swam aggressively cast from downstream. If I’m on a lake, I’ll usually start with a spinnerbait if I’m looking around the weeds, a crankbait if I’m around wood or rock. Either of those baits allow me to cover a lot of ground quickly and should provoke a reaction strike if fish are in the area.

If I find the fish and the aggressive bite slows, I’ll switch over to a plastic worm 7″ or bigger on a carolina rig. Same thing if I never find the aggressive fish, switch up to a texas or carolina rigged plastic worm.

One more thing: If I miss a fish on a fast moving bait like a spinnerbait or a crank, I will toss back with a slow-moving bait like a plastic jerkbait or worm. If the fish never got the hooks, then he’ll follow up the initial strike sometimes.

Oh yeah: wobblers.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

have you tried to locate a calm area in the lake or a weedie area and try a buzz bait. I also use a little inline spinner right above the weeds. I also cast up to the weedline with a little inline spinner and bring it back to the boat. have gotten many strikes that way also. just depends on what you are comfortable tossing to catch fish with.

shane

Don Hanson

One of my best producers is a topwater lure. From early spring throuhout the summer there is always some type of hatch. Usually with no wind in the early mornings topwater baits are the way to go.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It’s tough to beat topwater lures in the early morning.

Gator Hunter

bassguy
    MANKATO

HI GARY,
    WHEN I AM FISHING A LAKE, I ALWAYS START OUT WITH A WORM OR LIZARD TEXAS RIGGED AT ALL TIMES OF THE YEAR. I BELEIVE THESE BAITS ARE THE MOST CONSISTANT LURES TO CATCH THE BIGGEST FISH IN THE LAKE. IF THE BASS ARE ACTIVE, THEY WILL HIT THESE BAITS ON THE FIRST FALL OR FIRST HOP. ACCURATE CASTING IS A MUST IN SHALLOW WATER. TWO TO THREE HOPS AND THEN I CAST AGAIN,COVERING A LOT OF WATER. IF I DON’T CATCH ANYTHING, I THEN SLOW WAY DOWN AND/OR FISH DEEPER WATER. I USE SPINNERBAITS IF IT IS SUPER WINDY AND TO DIFFICULT TO USE PLASTIC.

RIVERS, I START OUT WITH A CRANKBAIT TO LOCATE ACTIVE FISH, THEN GO BACK TO PRODUCTIVE SPOTS AND THROW PLASTICS OR JIGS FOR BIGGER BASS.

newt
    Pillager, MN

75% of my time is spent throwing a worm/lizard rigged Texas style or a jig. That last hour or so of sunlight I love to chuck a topwater or a spinnerbait. The fish always seem to get more aggressive just before the sun sets. A few weeks ago I located some hungry bass on a deep weed edge and caught them using a worm….just before sunset I went back and fished it using a buzz bait and caught 10 bass in the last hour of light . talk about fun!!! Fall is also a favorite time to use a spinnerbait.

bassguy
    MANKATO

NEWT, THAT IS SOME FAST ACTION WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR BUZZ?

newt
    Pillager, MN

I like a black skirt and an orange blade. Not real traditional colors but it seems to work. I began trying this color comination after a taxidermist I was talking to mentioned that most of the big bass he has seen have had big bullheads in their stomach. So I tried to “match the hatch” so to speak. In the spring I like to throw anything bright (white, yellow…).

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I’m often fishing alone in the boat and at last count I’ve got 19 rods rigged and ready. Twelve are ready for Bass alone. Just the thought of alway’s starting out with a particular bait or style goes against everything that I believe in. Only TOW & openminded thinking will determine whether it’s spinnerbait, top water, Cranks, jigs… first thing in the morning. {John}

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I agree Newt. Black skirt/orange bladed spinnerbaits are my go-to colors on a cloudy day, or at night. 3 of my biggest bass have come on that color. Last night, I was after muskies. Raised 2 on a musky candy spinnerbait in those colors. One of the muskies was a big one… close to 50″.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Black skirt n orange blade guys? That’s a new combo to me. Definately going to file that one away in the ol’ memory banks and give ‘er a try. Really appreciate you guys sharing these suggestions. Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.