Crank Bait Knots to Use?

• gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

When using super lines (like fireline)what kind of knot should I be using? I’ve also heard some tie directly to the eye and others to the split ring (not all cranks come with a split ring), which is correct? Thanks for any help.
    Moose

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I use Spider Wire Stealth and always tie the palomar knot to a standard #2 or 4 cross lock snap. I very seldom will tie direct, I know a lot of guys who do but I like to be able to change things out quickly when having to do so. Different strokes for different folks you know.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Ditto to what Dustin said.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Ditto on what BFD said !!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Palomar knot for superlines has worked great for me.I use a cross lock snap if you connect to the bill of the crankbait.If you have to tie directly to the crankbait then I don’t use a snap,I tie direct to the crank.
    Ryan Hale

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Hey guys thanks for the info. I kind of like the idea of the snap. I know I’ve at times kept a lure on longer than i should have just because i didn’t want to re-tie. So I’m assuming no one has had ill effects of the extra hardware for walleyes. I’ve got fishing partners who would argue the point that less is better (hardware). Do any of you also use a swivle along with the snap? Thanks again, I learning alot here!
    Moose

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I have never seen any ill effects of using a small cross lock snap. It doesn’t add any more to the profile of the bait and a walleye isn’t too finicky when they hammer a crank vs. when they tap and play with live bait.
    Usually when using a crank there is very minimal line twist so I don’t think a swivel is necessary.
    Just my 2 cents.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Moose,
    sorry I did not answer the second part of your question, I also use a cross lock snap, I do not think a swivel would let your lure run correctly.

gregemoose
    Taylors Falls, MN

Thanks again for the fishing tips. Got some cross lock snaps last night! (along with many things a didn’t need). Heading up to LOTW (Oak Island) on Friday.
    GREAT Forum! Moose

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.