Jet Ski Accidental Death

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

There has been a lot of talk on a number of fishing forums complaining about jet skis and the like. I thought I would share this story from this weekend and maybe you can share this with others who enjoy PWC. The short of it is there was a tragic accident in Omaha, NE this past week. An 18-year-old kid was following a boat who was pulling a knee-boarder behind. I suppose he was jumping the wake from the boat. The kid on the knee-board fell off and the Jet Ski landed on him, breaking his neck. This was my father-in-law’s friend who was pulling the knee board and it was his son who was injured. While we were up fishing in Ottertail my father-in-law got the phone call that they took the boy off of life support and he died shortly after. So, now this boy is dead and the 18-year-old on the jet ski has to live the rest of his life thinking about this. Personally, I think it’s very troubling. I post this hoping that we continue to promote safety on the water. If you know people with PWC please remind them of the dangers. Those of you who are parents or grandparents, you have a responsibility to teach your children safety.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Prayers for his family

herb
    6ft under

Senseless

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Sounds to me like the 18yr old on the jet ski was negligent in operating this PWC. We really need to be diligent when it comes to watching out for others when we’re playing.
    My prayers for the family.
    Steve

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Steve,

I think it was very negligent on his part. It made me think about how many times I see a PWC following a boat and skier. If you’re pulling your children on skis it’s something to watch for. The traffic on some of these lakes is just crazy. If you’ve ever been on West Okoboji on a weekend you know what I mean. I’m amazed more people are not killed or injured with the number of stupid human tricks I see on the water. It’s one of the main reasons I hit smaller, far off lakes – to get away from stupid people. I’ll stop ranting now, but it is very disturbing to me.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Wade,
    I just saw west boji over the weekend. Unbelievable! I would not put a boat in that lake for love or money!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade,I see all kinds of stupid things on the water of West and East Okoboji as you know.It is very hard to believe that there isn’t more accidents of this nature.It is very sad to hear about things like this.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.