What are you buying a Toyota now?

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Ford Quality

2008 F-250, F-350, F-450: A couple issues
    2007 F-150 fuel leak
    2007 F-250 and F-350 brake failure
    2007 F-150 several issues

And there are plenty more for other years, but the point is all cars and trucks have recalls.

My favorite still is when a Ford isn’t even running, it starts on fire and burns houses down. I guess that would be a more concern than a tailgate!

Are you actually going on to the Tundra site looking for issues? I guess it is better than watching the Bears.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Ouch!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

but the point is all cars and trucks have recalls.

Yes they do. The nice part about having a GM, Ford, or Mopar product is it can be fixed in any small town in the sticks whereas the foreign vehicles have fewer dealerships and parts aren’t as common in the parts stores. So being stranded with a Toyota, Honda, etc. is worse off than their American counterparts.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

Ford Quality

2007 F-150 fuel leak

And there are plenty more for other years, but the point is all cars and trucks have recalls.

My favorite still is when a Ford isn’t even running, it starts on fire and burns houses down. I guess that would be a more concern than a tailgate!

Are you actually going on to the Tundra site looking for issues? I guess it is better than watching the Bears.

That is the newest one for toyota I can go back and get the 5 others from this year. Their sales of their trucks have gone WAY down which is funny.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

So being stranded with a Toyota, Honda, etc. is worse off than their American counterparts.

Being stranded with a Honda? It doesn’t happen!
    (I probably just jinxed myself there )

superdave
    NE IA

Quote:

Ford Quality

2007 F-150 fuel leak

I think you just got owned !

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

That is the newest one for toyota I can go back and get the 5 others from this year. Their sales of their trucks have gone WAY down which is funny.

Funny, but apparently not true. Do you have any facts to give besides saying their sales are WAY down? Here is some info I found. Sure, their sales don’t compare to the American trucks, but they are making an impact. I see more and more on the road everyday. Sorry for the long read.

When comparing current Tundra sales against its former, smaller self, only the first two months of 2007 were lower than their comparable periods in 2006. Then, starting in March, Tundra sales exploded, and were up over 120% (i.e., more than double) in May, June, and July compared to the same period in 2006. In fact, if Toyota sells just 18,518 Tundras in August 2008 (it sold 23,150 in July), it will have already matched its total sales for 2006. Through the first seven months of 2007, Toyota has sold an average of 15,141 Tundras per month; extrapolating that through December 31, and Toyota is on pace to sell 181,692 trucks, which is almost 46% more than it did in 2006 (but short of its sales goal of 200,000 trucks in its first year). However, if Toyota can sell July’s total of 23,150 trucks per month for the rest of 2007, it will have sold 221,740, and blown away its goal. I don’t see any signs of the juggernaut slowing down; sales have increased in each month the truck has been on sale, so meeting their goals – which seemed laughable in the truck’s first few months – seems almost inevitable now.

Against its competition, the Tundra’s sales are even more impressive. The full size pickup segment is down 4.7% so far in 2007, and every competitor is showing negative sales year to date but Toyota, which is up 56.5%. It’s a tough market in which to sell a full size V8 powered pickup with the housing market slowing down and high gas prices, which makes this feat even more impressive. So, whose lunch is the Tundra eating, if its sales are way up in a falling segment?

GM Vice Chairman of Global Product Development Bob Lutz, when asked about the Tundra’s likely impact on the domestic pickup market several months ago, speculated that the Nissan Titan would bear the brunt of any sales increase from the Tundra. It turns out that so far, he was partially right; year to date Titan sales are down 12.9%, which is the worst drop among competitors. The Ford F-series is down 12.2%, while the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado cousins are down a combined 6.9% so far. The Dodge Ram, in spite of a truck about to be redesigned, is the only competitor whose sales dropped slower than the segment’s sales.

Another angle to compare might be the market share that each truck has. The biggest gainer in market share (comparing 2007 market share through July 31 against 2006 market share through December 31) was Toyota, going from 5.6% to 8.5% (up 2.9 percentage points). The biggest loser in market share during the same period was Ford, going from 36.1% to 33.1% (down 3.0 percentage points). In other words, almost all of the Tundra’s sales gain has come at the expense of the Ford F-series. Time will tell if this is only a temporary phenomenon, as an all-new F-150 is due for the 2009 model year, but half of the F-series lineup (the Super Duty F-250 and F-350) were recently re-done as early 2008 models, and the new Super Duties aren’t propping up F-series sales enough to offset the Tundra’s gains.

danno
    Central MN

“It’s the truck that’s changing it all” ?????

Bad tailgates

Broken camshafts

Cracked engine blocks

Questionable trannys

Must not have changed enough!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I am confused??? I have owned 5 ford 4X4 PUs and 7 Chevy 4X4 PUs…none of them were made in the USA…either Mexico City or Windsor Ontario. Aren’t Toyotas made in Kentucky and Illinois?
    I have run a 2006 Tundra for guiding this past year…I have loaded my Quad on that tail gate hundreds of time w/o a problem. I slid a 5′ high Pallet of hardwood slabs over the same tailgate(I was sweatin that one )…no problem.
    Dont know about the 2007s but the 2006s were at the top of the Consumer Reports PU Truck ratings…in fact the current loan value of my truck is $26,500(according to the CU) I paid $26,000 for it over a year ago.

My next truck? It may be a Ford , Chev, or another Toyota…they have all been good to me. If the new Chevy Vortec really can put out 315 bhp and get 20mpg (thats what they advertise)how can you beat that?

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I am confused??? I have owned 5 ford 4X4 PUs and 7 Chevy 4X4 PUs…none of them were made in the USA…either Mexico City or Windsor Ontario. Aren’t Toyotas made in Kentucky and Illinois?

I have run a 2006 Tundra for guiding this past year…I have loaded my Quad on that tail gate hundreds of time w/o a problem. I slid a 5′ high Pallet of hardwood slabs over the same tailgate(I was sweatin that one )…no problem.

Dont know about the 2007s but the 2006s were at the top of the Consumer Reports PU Truck ratings…in fact the current loan value of my truck is $26,500(according to the CU) I paid $26,000 for it over a year ago.

My next truck? It may be a Ford , Chev, or another Toyota…they have all been good to me. If the new Chevy Vortec really can put out 315 bhp and get 20mpg (thats what they advertise)how can you beat that?

Exactly. I have an 04 Ram with the Hemi. I believe it was mostly made in Mexico. I don’t want to speak for Honda or other Toyota bashers (or I suppose any foreign automobile manufacturer), but I’m guessing it doesn’t matter that they are made in the USA because they are not using UAW workers. It is only a worthy vehicle if it is union made!

IMO, ALL of the trucks are high quality and they ALL are going to have problems. I actually think the Tundra is doing pretty good with the number of issues they have seeing it is a brand new truck. If people are scared to get a Tundra because of a few issues, well they certainly won’t be getting a Ford (I’m only picking on the Ford since Honda is in love with his so much)! Actually if you are concerned about issues, you might as well walk.

Honda, this is the second time you started a thread to bash the Tundra. What is your purpose? Do you think you are going to changed someone’s mind who was thinking about getting a Tundra? Are you just taking an opportunity to bash Toyota?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

but I’m guessing it doesn’t matter that they are made in the USA because they are not using UAW workers. It is only a worthy vehicle if it is union made!

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

I am confused???

Dont know about the 2007s but the 2006s were at the top of the Consumer Reports PU Truck ratings…in fact the current

loan value of my truck is $26,500(according to the CU) I paid $26,000 for it over a year ago.

Consumer Reports? The most biased publication out there that will give the best ratings to the company that pays them the most? Well, good ol’ C-R is retracting their recommendations for the Toyota trucks now that the real truth is coming out after they’ve been in service for a while, compared to their showroom floor review where they proclaimed Toyota as the best truck ever created.

Apparently some of those Toyota checks sent to C-R must have bounced or something to make them change their view on the ‘Yotas… Or, maybe they finally came out of their Japanese manufacturer induced trance like everyone else is in and realized they really aren’t cracked up to what everyone wants to believe they are.

Consumer Reports isn’t worthy of lining the floor of my dog’s kennel.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I am confused???
    Dont know about the 2007s but the 2006s were at the top of the Consumer Reports PU Truck ratings…in fact the current
    loan value of my truck is $26,500(according to the CU) I paid $26,000 for it over a year ago.

Consumer Reports? The most biased publication out there that will give the best ratings to the company that pays them the most? Well, good ol’ C-R is retracting their recommendations for the Toyota trucks now that the real truth is coming out after they’ve been in service for a while, compared to their showroom floor review where they proclaimed Toyota as the best truck ever created.

Apparently some of those Toyota checks sent to C-R must have bounced or something to make them change their view on the ‘Yotas… Or, maybe they finally came out of their Japanese manufacturer induced trance like everyone else is in and realized they really aren’t cracked up to what everyone wants to believe they are.

Oh, that must explain why Ford is not on top of the Consumer Report list. After their $12 billion loss last year, there was no money to pay them off!

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am confused???

Oh, that must explain why Ford is not on top of the Consumer Report list. After their $12 billion loss last year, there was no money to pay them off!

Funny but still sell the most trucks on the road for 30 straight years and have more trucks with 250k or more on the road than any other brand.

Here is a quote off of another waterfowling website I am a member of that works for ford.

Wow I’d like to know what #’s you are reading!

Ford’s F’series are #1 and have been for the last 30 years!

The Toyota Tundras have been taken off Consumers digest as a “best buy” vehicle. Seems their quality has taken a big dive they are not even in the top 50% anymore. They have more recalls then new vehicles sold this year. I think the shine is starting to come off the Toyota brand. They are also down year over year in new vehicles sold this year.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

How do they know they have more trucks with 250k miles on them than anybody else? I’ve always been curious how they figure that out. Seems like it would be a hard statistic to prove.

I’m a little confused …was everything at the bottom a quote from some guy that works at Ford from the waterfowl site, or was some of that yours? I don’t think anybody said Ford trucks are not the top selling vehicle? I know they are. What do you mean by Toyota has had more recalls than new vehicles sold? That doesn’t make any sense??

I would be a little skeptical of numbers given out by a Ford (or any car maker) employee. I’m sure they get lots of propaganda about how great they are doing (as I’m guessing anybody who works for a huge company does). Never mind the losses last year, the loss coming this year, and the loss in 2008 (the company has said they will lose money until 2009). Here again is a little market analysis. Who knows if it is correct or not, but the Tundra seems to be doing pretty good where as the other guys are slipping (and the market is down overall).

Quote:

GM Vice Chairman of Global Product Development Bob Lutz, when asked about the Tundra’s likely impact on the domestic pickup market several months ago, speculated that the Nissan Titan would bear the brunt of any sales increase from the Tundra. It turns out that so far, he was partially right; year to date Titan sales are down 12.9%, which is the worst drop among competitors. The Ford F-series is down 12.2%, while the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado cousins are down a combined 6.9% so far. The Dodge Ram, in spite of a truck about to be redesigned, is the only competitor whose sales dropped slower than the segment’s sales.

Another angle to compare might be the market share that each truck has. The biggest gainer in market share (comparing 2007 market share through July 31 against 2006 market share through December 31) was Toyota, going from 5.6% to 8.5% (up 2.9 percentage points). The biggest loser in market share during the same period was Ford, going from 36.1% to 33.1% (down 3.0 percentage points). In other words, almost all of the Tundra’s sales gain has come at the expense of the Ford F-series. Time will tell if this is only a temporary phenomenon, as an all-new F-150 is due for the 2009 model year, but half of the F-series lineup (the Super Duty F-250 and F-350) were recently re-done as early 2008 models, and the new Super Duties aren’t propping up F-series sales enough to offset the Tundra’s gains.

So I ask again Honda, why are you so against the Tundra? Japanese company? Non-union American workers? Or are you just informing the public of issues because you care about Tundra owner’s getting their trucks fixed? If Toyota is a crappy truck with no sales, why would anybody at Ford even care about them? If there isn’t a demand, they will just go away.

honda75
    Iowa

they have proof of the 250k or more by vehicle registration look at their website and watch the commercials. Also toyotas they are non union workers, the trucks are only assembled in the us not made in the us. So many things on the the truck copy the big 3 auto builders in the us. A toyota truck couldn’t handle the work that our trucks do on the farm. That is just a start.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

they have proof of the 250k or more by vehicle registration look at their website and watch the commercials. Also toyotas they are non union workers, the trucks are only assembled in the us not made in the us. So many things on the the truck copy the big 3 auto builders in the us. A toyota truck couldn’t handle the work that our trucks do on the farm. That is just a start.

I looked on the website and couldn’t find anything. What do you mean by registration? I don’t recall putting the mileage down on my truck when registering it?? Anyway, I suppose they would have the most trucks since they sell the most trucks. Maybe someone should do it by percentage of trucks, so if ford had 100 trucks and chevy had a 100 trucks, then Chevy’s percentage of trucks with 250k would be higher. That would be more realistic, but I understand Ford is using it as marketing.

For your other points:

As it was pointed out earlier, the US made trucks are made and assembled in many places outside the US. My Ram was made in Mexico. Here is the list from Cars.com (not that they are the expert or anything) of the most American made cars/trucks (um…I don’t see anything from Chrysler on there…)
    1. Ford F150
    2. Toyota Camry
    3. Chevy Silverado 1500
    4. Chevy Cobalt
    5. Ford Focus
    6. Toyota Sienna
    7. Chevy Malibu
    8. Pontiac G6
    9. Ford Escape
    10.Toyota Tundra

I’m not sure what Toyota is copying from the US automakers, but I’m pretty sure the US automakers copied from each other also. Maybe because the Tundra was designed in the US? Or are you sure the American trucks are not copying Japanese technology? I bet a lot of those engineers ford has are not even American!

For the farm, are you comparing the Tundra to an F250 or higher, or are you saying the tundra can’t do the same work as an F150? In my opinion as a non-farmer, I bet ALL the trucks in the same class can pretty much do the same job. If you comparing the tundra to a Diesel F250, umm yeah I would expect the Ford would do better. Maybe you can compare that when the Tundra 2500HD or 3500HD come out.

Lucky for me, I don’t have to worry about how it handles on the farm. I mostly use my truck to pull my boat and load it up with camping gear. Sometimes when the wife gets on me, I need to use it to haul stuff.

HenryPF

Please stop posting about how much you hate the Toyota truck.

Quote:

Every fall I will pull at least two loads of corn to the coop with my truck. 2 500 bushel brent wagons behind the f250. It is a grunt going up hills but that is why you get a run for it. right around 100000 lbs. with the trailer weight and all. Thank the lord for electronic brakes.

You have no credibility.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Quote:

Every fall I will pull at least two loads of corn to the coop with my truck. 2 500 bushel brent wagons behind the f250. It is a grunt going up hills but that is why you get a run for it. right around 100000 lbs. with the trailer weight and all. Thank the lord for electronic brakes.

You have no credibility.

Trust be told,
    someone here has “no-math” skills.

Corn weighs approximately 56lbs to the bushel. 56 x 1000 bushels (2 wagons at 500 bushels each) is 56,000. Your truck and 2 wagons don’t break 10,000lbs.

“ANY” farmer knows this. Basic common “smarts”. I haven’t been on a farm in over 15 years, yet I still know this.

As far as a pickup pulling these wagons down a road.
    2 factors here:
    1) It is illegal to pull 100,000 on a road, because of weight restrictions.
    2) IF your truck could pull 56,000lbs of corn down the road, so what…HOWEVER, I’ve NEVER seen this ever in my day. So please post a picture for me, a doubting Thomas, that is saying this isn’t true.

What this boils down to Honda is 2 things:
    1) You are a farmer and You are a troll only here to “stir the pot”.
    2) You are not a farmer, because a farmer has more smarts that what you have displayed here. Which means you have lost credibility.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You have no credibility.

Trust be told,
    someone here has “no-math” skills.

Corn weighs approximately 56lbs to the bushel. 56 x 1000 bushels (2 wagons at 500 bushels each) is 56,000. Your truck and 2 wagons don’t break 10,000lbs.

“ANY” farmer knows this. Basic common “smarts”. I haven’t been on a farm in over 15 years, yet I still know this.

As far as a pickup pulling these wagons down a road.
    2 factors here:
    1) It is illegal to pull 100,000 on a road, because of weight restrictions.
    2) IF your truck could pull 56,000lbs of corn down the road, so what…HOWEVER, I’ve NEVER seen this ever in my day. So please post a picture for me, a doubting Thomas, that is saying this isn’t true.

What this boils down to Honda is 2 things:
    1) You are a farmer and You are a troll only here to “stir the pot”.
    2) You are not a farmer, because a farmer has more smarts that what you have displayed here. Which means you have lost credibility.

Figure your math again there brother. I see you guys done got some good edumacation in miniscrotom

superdave
    NE IA

You may be able to pull it, but I guarantee unless you have some pretty wet corn your no where close to 100,000 lbs. Theres no way you could pull it in the field, maybe on the road.

Let’s see some pics

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Theres no way you could pull it in the field, maybe on the road.

He will tell you that he was in the lowlands pulling those loads and the ground was saturated from 30″ of rain last week and the truck was in two wheel drive with no posi.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

You have no credibility.

I forgot about that post. I went back and took a look at some of the past post.

Quote:

toyota = cheap non union workers all in the us most can’t speak english

Quote:

SO what are you saying all union employees are idiots because they are ruining cities???? My dad has been a UAW member for 30 years and my brother has been for 5 years. There is a reason you buy a union made vehicle outside of the name to support the union employees and their families.

Quote:

Sorry I just think if you are going to build vehicles in the US you are part of the United Auto Workers union. Also the Toyota is NOT E85 so how does that support any farmer in the heartland???????? It doesn’t.

At least now I remember what Honda’s motivation is for bashing the Tundra. I can’t blame you Honda. If my family was in the UAW (my dad was in a union for the paper industry), I would have blinders on too. No point continuing this conversation.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Time to ban pro-union / anti-union bashing posts too!!!

Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!

FRIVERS2

Gary,

how can someone be a troll that has almost 600 posts; just curious.

As for trucks, at least those with spark plugs, I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado and absolutely love the truck. I have had one sensor replaced under warranty and all four tires. The tires were replaced at about 23,000 miles, at no cost to me.

For you Silverado owners the tire manufactuer sent GM a bulletin that authprizes replacement, but only if uneven wear is noted or the customer complaints.

2catch1

I work on GM’s, I am not part of the UAW. All cars, and trucks have issues. Some more than others. I own 3 toyotas and love them. After owning a Tahoe and having it 3 years and putting over 5k in parts in it I bought a used 2002 Sequoia. I love it. I have all the records and since new and 67k it has been repaired twice….a recall for ball joints and 1 stabalizer link. They make descent products.

The Tundra is new so it will have issues…..look at the 2007 silverados….they have issues, just like every new model ever made.

The UAW is killing the auto makers. These people are WAY overpaid. Its just a matter of time till the US loses all its manufacturing. To think a guy that putts nuts and bolts on makes more than the people like I that have to fix the cars, and we need to know A LOT, not just a simple parts replacement. Good God a new Tahoe has 25 modules/computer on it!!!!!

As for E85 the foreign car makes are always conservative with this stuff, if it works for the us maker they’ll make it better…..the 1st electric car was a GM…EV1, now who builds the best hybrid….TOYOTA.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.