the best boat

• lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I know that I am opening a very large can of worms with this one but here goes; I am buying a new boat this winter and I am not sure if I am going to buy another ProV or another brand. I just thought what better crew to debate the pros and cons of the different brands than with you guys. I would like to hear what models you run and the good and bads points of them. I currently run a 1992 1775 ProV with a 150 Johnson and it has been a great boat. It is just getting worn down . Thanks guys .

Gator Hunter

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Check out the 1800 Pro Vs at Smitty’s Marine in Lake City. Nate sure loves his and the features are really nice on this boat. Ask for Kenny [Smitty] and tell him Nate and Bill Cadwell sent you. Thanks, Bill

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

I would have to agree check out the 1800 pro v I have been running this boat this summer and love every feature about it the new IPS hull is fantastic probely the smoothest and dryest ride I have ever had. ok maybe the smooth ride is because of Brett Kings Smooth moves Seats but this boat is perfect for every way I fish the river I know I will be running another 1800 Pro v next year
    Check out Smitty’s Marine in lake city the best prices and service around.
    Good luck and make sure you get what you want.
    now before you ask about motor brands………..
    just skip the questions and go with the true red white and blue nothing compares to the Evinrude Ficht.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Thanks guys. I know the guys down at Smitty’s well. I’m not very pleased with their service. I don’t know if I would buy another boat from them.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I thought that you were fishing in Iowa Bill????

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Am heading for Iowa Monday am for the week. We decided to wait as that is a big tourist attraction and will be swamped with people all weekend. As for Smittys, seems like everybody drops off their boat expecting it to be fixed right away. Any real busy dealer is going to have a 2 week waiting list to get boats fixed. You will hear that from any dealer that does the volumn they do. They always try to get to it as soon as possible but they are only human and only so many hours in a day. Many many nights I have driven by there when they are suppose to be closed yet I’ve found people working on boats trying to get the customers back on the water as soon as possible. I don’t see that at other dealerships I drive by. When it comes to Smittys I have seen both sides of the coin so to speak so I know what they go through and have to put up with in order to try make a customer happy. We have checked their prices against everyone elses in newspaper, magazine, and monthly sales in the Outdoor News for years and Smitty’s prices have always beaten the others. I have known this dealership for years and have also been with my Dad when he use to buy from other dealers many years ago before finding Smittys Marine and we have stuck with Smittys ever since we first did business there and have been very happy with them. That is why we may sound like a sales pitch sometimes because we are very happy Smitty’s Marine customers. Thanks, Bill

ps. You guys catch a few eyes for me while I’m gone.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I bought my current boat from Smitty’s. Their prices are hard to beat without a doubt. In my opinion, their service center is another story. A couple of years ago I brought my boat in for some engine work in the early summer. Two months later they finished it right before the Frontenac Sportsmans tourney. I called them to confirm that the boat had been tested and was running good because I did not have time to run it before the tourney. When I got to the tourney the boat was running the same as when I brought it in. I couldn’t even get the engine above 2500 RPMs. I brought it back in to them and they told me that their man must not have tested it. This was in August. When they finally got my boat fixed right it was March of the next year. Granted, this was when OMC was going through bankruptcy so parts might have been hard to find but I called them every other week and all Gene ever told me was that the Boat would be done next week. I might have been the exception as far as their service is concerned but I’m not going to chance it again.

Gator Hunter

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I my self am going to buy a Ranger because you cant fish the RCL in a TUFFY.
    But if I could I would!!!

I have beat the urine out of that boat its a 99 and its unstopable its been beached, banged, and beaten to heck yet it still takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! Plus it sparkles LOL

Once you give a glass boat a shot you will think twice before buying aluminum!

Tuffy is a very TUFF boat and you definately get your money worth!!!

Just my opinion but trust me you will not regret it!

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

You can argue the merits of aluminum vs fiberglass all day but it is very important if you are going to buy a new boat. There isnt a heck of alot of price difference anymore and as we all know most of the cost is in the motor. Water test both your aluminum boat of choice and a comparable glass boat and I think the fiberglass ride will win you over. Good Luck
    Chris Beeksma

Don Hanson

There are no doubt some very fine boats out there. I have fished out of Lund, Ranger, Stratos. I have owned Elgins, Alumacraft, Crestliner.
    One thing that will make a difference is service after the sale. If you are thinking about Crestliner let me know and you can test drive mine. See ya on the water, Don.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

gator,

I was at the state fair this last weekend and found the boat that I wanted to get. I will bring the book with me on Saterday and show you. I liked what they had at the fair and price wise, it wasn’t to bad niether.

shane

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.