midwest wireless alltel

• gregory
    Red wing,mn

Anyone else havin poor service since alltel took over? i’m droppin calls, no service where i used to have full? they told me i needed a new phone so i resigned and got a brand new worked great 4 2weeks and same crap so they gave me a new with some haggling and 2 weeks later same crap i’m about ready to cancel my service

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Exact same experience here. Alltel’s coverage is horrible compared to Midwest Wireless prior to the buy-out.

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

Was wondering if my phone went bad. Also having the same problem – real irritating where we are deer hunting as we have lost our signal there completely. I had heard from someone else that Alltel did not renew some contracts to use additional towers. They also are charging both ways on text messaging now because of losing revenue after allowing agreements with other networks to expire. Whether or not any of the above is fact, the service is the worst I have ever had in 25 years of having a mobile phone

gregory
    Red wing,mn

yeah i’m thinkin to switchin back to t-mobile,i have had midwest wireless for 6 years and its the worst its ever been but i don’t know if i will like t mobile i had them before and they weren’t very good but i think there service is a lot better now?

bigdawg

I’m having the same problems also. The guys in the Rochester store have told me that Alltel is having unexpected problems getting the towers switched over, whatever that means. I took a phone in for repair in June when it was still Midwest and haven’t got it back yet. I was told a few weeks ago that Alltel is about ready to throw all the phones that are in for repair in the trash and give those people new phones, no charge. I’ll see what happens when I stop in next week to check on this. I’ve given them a couple extra weeks on this issue. I do have one friend that checked on this and Alltel reset the programing for the roaming feature on their phone and that took care of most of the problems they were having. That may be something you could have them check on your phone.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Dont jump on the NEXTEL bandwagon,

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I overheard a guy that is high up in the food chain at our local telephone company, that also is a midwest dealer, and he was saying something about putting some code into your phone and it does something with the signal that is put out, I think something about the analog signal either Alltel or midwest puts out. Not real sure, as I haven’t had any problems with the reception on my Midwest phone. Might be worth asking your dealer about.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

yeah they tell you turn it off and back on again, then they tell you to dial like #222 something like that , seems like alot of run around i want it to work not stand on one foot while holding the phone in the other hand
    yeah no nextel here

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

yeah they tell you turn it off and back on again, then they tell you to dial like #222 something like that

I have Alltel and I update my software on my phone often.

Dial *228 then press the SEND key

Here is more info: Upgrade Info

Sully

gregory
    Red wing,mn

yeah i shouldnt have to do that daily or weekly never had to that in the past?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I have Alltel and I update my software on my phone often.

Dial *228 then press the SEND key

Here is more info: Upgrade Info

Sully

I did this as well and it did help with my reception. A friend of mine told me that an Alltel Manager and an Alltel tech told him that Alltel does not have as many towers as Midwest did that Midwest rented most of there towers. Supposedly Alltel is working on acquiring more towers.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

They also are charging both ways on text messaging now

Midwest was also charging both ways and I believe all carriers are doing this now, that’s why I have all text messaging blocked on all my phones, don’t need it, don’t want it.

danno
    Central MN

Midwest Wireless had a contract with Verizon to use their towers. When Alltel took over that contract was void and now the second provider on the priority list is Sprint, so those are the towers your phone will roam to when it can’t get a MW tower.

The *228 is a update to your PRL (Preferred Roaming List) and is exactly what I was speaking of above (Verizon/Sprint tower preference).

Alltel is gearing up for providing better data services and Sprint’s network is fairly good for data if you can get a tower, and that is why they are using Sprint for the PRL.

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I had the same problem as all of your guys. Sucky thing for me is I had a loaner working great and then get a new one and it doesn’t work at all. Went through so much BS it wasn’t even funny, but finally get a new phone that was supposed to work. Ended up calling the main CS# (*611) to set the phone up. All kinds of numbers were messed up in the phone. Something to do with how they get service from the towers and such. After about 15 minutes on the phone with them- my phone worked great and has been ever since. Back to what it was before alltell.
    The people at the stores in roch. had NO CLUE what to do or how to help you!!! NONE!! They were SO WORTHLESS!!
    From what I remember here are a few things they can check for you:
    SID and PRL Version. Both of those are under Phone Status in your menu.
    You need to call CS with a different phone than the one you are having problems with. Explain the situation and they will probably ask you to go check those areas out. But if they don’t- mention it to them. Those were the two main things we got correct on mine and it made ALL the difference.
    Good luck- I know I was ready to blow up the company when my phone wouldn’t work in downtown Rochester or anywhere else.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

Good luck- I know I was ready to blow up the company when my phone wouldn’t work in downtown Rochester or anywhere else.

thats the way my phone is in Red Wing

gregory
    Red wing,mn

anyone else still droppin calls like crazy with the “most reliable network”

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

The only problem I have had is, sometimes when people call me my phone won’t ring or even show that I had a voicemail. At my house I get a full signal and my wfie called me 4 times on her way to work and my phone only rang on the 4th time she called. I’ve called and talked to their operators asking why this is happening and they basically told me they didn’t know why, but they would make a note of it. They basically wanted me to keep calling them when things happen so they can figure out if there is something wrong with the towers I use.

spence
    southern mn

not to be mean but glad i’m not the only one that’s experienced problems. My phone started to turn off whenever it wanted. This was when my wife was 8 1/2 pregnant and i was not happy. they sent my phone in and sent me a new one no charge. it’s been 3 months and it’s starting to do it again. not to mention about every 10 calls there is one where either me or the person on the other end has “robot voice.” hang up and call back and it’s okay. what a pain in the

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.