Prop problems???

• mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

The other day out on the river, my motor started to rev while my boat started to slow down. I backed off the throttle and the motor slowed down to were it should be, then I pushed it back up until the motor started to rev again. I went through this several times and each time I had to give it less and less gas. Basically stair stepping my speed/throttle down slower and slower, eventually getting to the point were I was almost idleing just to keep moving.

Anyway, I anchored on a wing dam and played around catching a few white bass, the whole time hopeing that I wasn’t going to have to use my trolling motor to get back up stream to the launch.

When it was time to go, I fired up the motor and to my surprise everything seemed fine, until half way back and it started all over again, eventually idling to the dock.

I’m not sure what’s going on here but, I suspect that the rubber fitting that connects the prop casing to the prop shaft fitting is shot and slipping when it warms up. I’ve put my spare prop on to test this theory but, haven’t had time to hit the river. So I guess I have two questions.

First, if this is the problem can it be fixed or do I need a new prop? (If so, my wife will kill me!!!)

Second, could it be something else?

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Sounds like you spun your hub. Just take it to a prop shop and they’ll put in a new hub for you.

No new prop needed!

Jami

jerry b
    western WI

I second that, had a couple turn loose for me, kind of a scairy thing the first time it happens. If memory serves me right, it’s only about $40 to replace a hub. jerr

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Thanks guys!!! That’s what I thought and was hopeing for, just didn’t really know if it could be repaired. I’ll have to track down a prop shop in the morning.

You’re right jerr. The first time is kinda’ scary. Actually the first and only other time for me was when I was a kid and “borrowed”, my dad’s boat while he was out of town. I don’t remember which was scarier, the high revving motor or trying to replace that prop before he got home!!!

jerry b
    western WI

Had to go change my pants the first time-WOT @ 65mph, I can still hear it hitting the rev limiter– – jerr

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.