Asian Carp Confirmed in Lake Pepin

• KirtH
    Lakeville

They need to track down all the people that brought that crap here and

I wonder if someone has thought about a class action lawsuit agianst those idiots, they are destroying the sport fishing industry, and then the cost to teh tax payers to try to control them, any lawyers/eelpout in the house

howler
    bagley wi.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I might be wrong, but I believe that most all of our carp were brought here around 80-100 years ago as pets for private ponds. I think that someone had a bright idea to let them go in our waters to help clean them up. Unfortunately, it might be hard to find someone to blame other than ourselves.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Bighead Carp Origin

Originally brought over in ’74 to control algea in agricultural catfish ponds. When the pods flooded our fisheries were doomed. Sure is an ugly fish.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

biggill… I am pretty sure carp were brought here for a fast growing sport/food fish when they were brought here and introduced to many waters(great idea eh).

I love how we keep getting these exotic species. If we dont introduce them ourselves, they get here in a cargo ship, etc.

So… when can we start filling up cargo ships with sheephead, bullheads, stunted sunfish, or anything else annoying to get back at some of these sources for funky species?

Its only a matter of time before “bumper boats” takes on a whole new meaning at lock and dam #3… Picture 200 boats in the spring being welcomed by 20,000 of these fish.

herb
    6ft under

The common carp was brought over as a ‘food’ fish about the same time as biggill stated. Not as a pet though.
    And the bighead was as catchand release stated.
    If anyone is to blame, I’d blame the U.S.D.A for allowing the invasive species to be brought here.
    A couple other examples:
    Asian lady beetles- brought over to control the aphids that were killing the hemlock forests on the east coast since our penchant for chemicals all but whiped out the native lady bugs that did the job naturally.
    Multiflora rose-brought here to be used as a natural livestock fence since it worked so well in England.
    Billions of $$ are and will continue to be spent to control this stuff, and in the meantime-what’s next?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

The common carp was brought over as a ‘food’ fish about the same time as biggill stated. Not as a pet though.
    If anyone is to blame, I’d blame the U.S.D.A for allowing the invasive species to be brought here.
    A couple other examples:
    Asian lady beetles- brought over to control the aphids that were killing the hemlock forests on the east coast since our penchant for chemicals all but whiped out the native lady bugs that did the job naturally.
    Multiflora rose-brought here to be used as a natural livestock fence since it worked so well in England.
    Billions of $$ are and will continue to be spent to control this stuff, and in the meantime-what’s next?

Don’t forget the brown trout and the pheasant!!!!! Dang invasive species!!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Oh, I almost forgot about the night crawler!!! Invasive pests they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crankbait

Quote:

Oh, I almost forgot about the night crawler!!! Invasive pests they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, they are! Bad Worms

There are some who believe the absolute worst, most invasive, devastating, destructive non-native force on a natural ecology is the oft cursed smallmouth bass infestation currently ruining the lakes in the BWCA/Quetico. Worthless scurge I tells ya!

Seriously though, these carp sound like a bad deal.

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Watch them on you tube (bighead carp). We have them in our river , some up to fifteen pounds . Do not release back into the river .

herb
    6ft under

Wow! I had no idea about the crawlers.

bigschtik
    Byron MN

There is more than just a few in Pepin. I ran into a school that exploded out of the water(4-5fow). This was the lower portion of the lake. I’d estimate 10-15 fish. Hopefully the population doesnt take over the system.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

There is more than just a few in Pepin. I ran into a school that exploded out of the water(4-5fow). This was the lower portion of the lake. I’d estimate 10-15 fish. Hopefully the population doesnt take over the system.

Time to invest in some bow fishing equipment and help clean up these garbage fish.

Illinois Bowfishing Association

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Quote:

Quote:

A couple other examples:

Brown trout and pheasant you cant be that stupid!!!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A couple other examples:

Settle down buddy. It was a joke, although both species were transplanted.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The sense of humor is the first to go.

Hey Len… a blonde, a lumberjack and a nun walk into a bar…

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Quote:

The sense of humor is the first to go.

Hey Len… a blonde, a lumberjack and a nun walk into a bar…

I’ll take the blonde and the nun and you can have the lumberjack…..

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Careful Lenny, the Blonde is from Sweden and the Nun is from Italy. They are clearly invasive species.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

Careful Lenny, the Blonde is from Sweden and the Nun is from Italy. They are clearly invasive species.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Well, it looks like I can’t throw them back then.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Time to invest in some bow fishing equipment and help clean up these garbage fish.

No, what you need is a shotgun! Did you see the video? That is Fish Trap, and I don’t mean the ice fishing shack!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’m all for that!! I’ll bring my Mathews. Might be a bit over powered but it’ll get em!

Quote:

Quote:

Illinois Bowfishing Association

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A couple other examples:

By the way lenny…I still have a bone to pick with you over Brian Griese…lol J/K…

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

No, what you need is a shotgun! Did you see the video? That is Fish Trap, and I don’t mean the ice fishing shack!

Steve plantz— Mr tuckner is right get the shotgun out not the BOW. If you really want to control these fish leave the BOW at home. I would use a 12ga myself,but if you want to be a little more sporting use your 410. Running down the the river shooting these flying fish would be a blast for sure! Wait just a flippen minute here. We will have to make this FAIR 4 the BOW hunters. So lets make some rules 4 our new found sport. Rule #1 DON”T shoot any of the really really BIG one’s. We will have to save them 4 the Blufflands Whitetail ASSocation Elite! Rule #2 Close the season to the gun hunter during the SPAWN! Rule #3 ONLY Bow Hunters can shoot–hunt during the SPAWN!! Rule #4 DON’T open the gun season until Dec. 15th. It will be too COLD 4 most of them to want 2 go out! The fish will be holed up in the thickest cover all day all worn out from the RUT—OOPS I meam spawn! Of coarse they are going to move only at NIGHT now,on account of all the PRESSURE from the BOW shooters!! Plus the Walleye,Panfish and Catfishing pressure. These fish don’t know that some of these Hunters–Fisherman are not really after them! Kind of like a DEER Doesn’t know that the Grouse,Squirrel and Pheasent hunter’s are not after them!! So they are going to go into there SURVIVAL MODE and stay put! Except to feed at NIGHT! Rule #5 Some of the ELITE can buy up some of the PRIME land—OOPS again I mean PRIME Lakes and Rivers and POST them! That way the ELITE can Hunt–Fish the way they want and then try to change the way the REST of us have to Hunt–Fish. To the way they think we should and WHEN we should!!!! One of the reasons 4 this is they Don’t think there is enough Big BUCKS—-OOPS I did again. I mean Large fish out there 4 them! But if you have seen the pictures in OUTDOOR NEWS 4 the last 10years plus—You will know that there are plenty of “Deer-Fish” out there. And if you do get one it is a real PRIZE! Maybe they want to have so many “Big Deer–Fish” that the ELITE will be sure to get one! Maybe they should change the name of BWA to BWGA the G standing 4 GREEDY——There new MOTTO could be we want to hunt the “RUT–SPAWN” all to ourselves!! That’s the way it is anyway! When the “RUT–SPAWN” is over we will let the gun hunter’s–shooters put their boats in. OH DARN, it is to COLD and the lakes and rivers are frozen. Oh well, the BWGA SPORTSMAN got to do THEIR thing!!!!! river rat randy– formerly known as Pro V

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

With all those “OOPS” in there Rat..I thought you had the hickups!

Hey, check your PM box!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Forget your old password, Brother mine?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.