plastic baits

• Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey guys,

i could use a little help, I have a ton of plastics, I kinda have an idea on how to hook them but dont’ have a clue on how to use them. does anyone know or have had great success with plastics. can someone tell me what colors to toss on a semi cloudy day, or a cloudy day, if the water is clean or dirty. that kind of stuff. I was thinking of hitting some deeper water tommarow and looking for milfoil spots that are thinned out, hopefully i can find some fish. any suggestions?

thanks for the help

shane

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Shane,

Chartruese, White for clearer water, brighter days.. darker colors for deeper water, dirty water, and darker days… I believe the two best techniques fishing plastic are the twitch and the drop. Pick ’em up and let ’em drop, or twitch ’em and let ’em drop… nothing looks so inviting as injured prey. Give ‘er hell!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

thanks for the tip, i will give that a try tommarow and let you know how i did.

shane

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Shane,

I think everyone has a little different approach. I like dark colors in clear water and brighter colors in dirty water. Depth doesn’t really changed my color choice. I personally think the biggest thing is confidence. The more you have in any lure, the better you will fish it. Starting off I would pick something that has worked for you and fine tune on it. For example when I started with bass jigs I started deep, than mid range, than shallow docks. Next it was an easy transition to Texas rigs in the same areas when the jig bite wouldn’t go. That’s why they call it fishing!!!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

MFO

I have had really good luck on the mepps spinners i guess you would call them for the bass. and i have boated a lot of em off of coon with them kinds of lures. just running it along the top of the milfoil weeds in about 4′-6′ of water. I do however have a lot of different plastics, like tubes, ring worms, 3″ plastic baits, and even some power baits, worms and crawfish in different colors. I am kinda wondering if they would work running them under the canopy of the milfoil. letting them sink tot he bottom and then walk them back to the boat. would that help me with catching some of the bigger bass. the tourney winning sized ones, or is my thought process all messed up?

thanks

shane

bassguy
    MANKATO

SHANE, FISHING IN DEEP WATER, I HAVE A LOT OF SUCCESS USING AN 8″ RIBBONTAIL BLACK AND BLUE FOR ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS. I ALWAYS USE A RATTLE AND I RIG ONE ROD TEXAS AND ANOTHER WITH A CAROLINA WITH ABOUT A 27″ SNELL. SOME DAYS THEY WANT ONE OVER THE OTHER. OVER 12 FEET OF WATER, I PRESENT AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE WITH NO MOVEMENT FOR UP TO A MINUTE. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW MANY BIG BASS WILL LOOK IT OVER FOR QUITE SOME TIME BEFORE TAKING IT. CAST DEEP TO SHALLOW, THEN TRY CASTING FROM SHALLOW OUT TO DEEP. YOU CAN CATCH A LOT OF BASS YOU MISS.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I follow you with your technique………..My only question is how do you keep the sunnies from tearing up your plastics?

I’ve been on Minnetonka and attempted to use plastics, only to feel consistent tapping, as the sunnies were tearing the plastic worm apart………

What am I doing wrong???

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey jeff,

thanks for the tips, i will have to give that a try, I have done will with little inline spinner baits.

shane

bassguy
    MANKATO

GARY, THAT HAPPENS TO ME SOMETIMES ON CERTAIN LAKES ALSO. I ALMOST ALWAYS USE 8″ WORMS AND THAT HELPS A LITTLE TO DETER SUNNIES. AFTER A WHILE, I CAN IDENTIFY THAT THE BITES ARE SUNNIES, AND GENTLY PULL THE PLASTIC FROM THEM TO PREVENT RIPPING. SOME PLASTIC WORMS RIP A LOT EASIER THEN OTHERS. YOU COULD TRY A DIFFERENT BRAND ALSO. RECENTLY, I’VE TRIED THE STRIKE KING 3X LIZARDS. THEY ARE INDESTRUCTABLE , AND CAN GO A WHOLE DAY ON 3 OR 4 BAITS. THE ONLY THING I DONT LIKE ABOUT THEM, HOWEVER, IS THAT YOUR HOOK POINT COMES THROUGH TO EASILY AND SNAGS WEEDS OR WOOD IF FISHING HEAVY COVER.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.