Columbia river

• lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I’m planning a trip to the Columbia river next year to catch some walleyes and was wondering if any members have been there. Would appreciate any info that you might have about guides, techniques, and the best time of the year to go. Thanks guys.

Gator Hunter

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Check out the Columbia River forum. DanOr should be able to provide some very useful info. He doesn’t post a lot, so be patient. Wish I was going with you.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

DanOr e-mailed me with some useful info. Thanks.\

Gator Hunter

rjimenez2300

Hey Gator Hunter, There’s a lot of river out there, what part are you keying on? As was stated above, DanOR from what I understand fishes it as well as anyone. Listen to him if he gives you advice. I am not personally familiar with anything below Rufus Woods but hope to be this fall. The area from below McNary dam down to the Boardman,OR area seems to be popular with those boys in the fall and spring. There was however a tourney a couple of weekends ago below Bonneville dam out of Camas,OR and some huge weights were pulled, 50-high 60’s Lbs. for 2 days, and thats with a slot limit!! I fish the upper river, Rufus Woods up through Roosevelt Lake system, and also the reservoirs of that area, Potholes,Moses Lake,Banks and they can be very good when they want to. Let me know what area you’d like to concentrate on or what time of year and maybe we can point you in the right direction for info. I’ll be happy to do what I can. Feel free to email me if you’d like [email protected]. See ya and good luck, RJ in Montana..

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Welcome to the board RJmontana! Good to see more guys from the western states here!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I’m not sure what area or even when I am going for sure yet. I’m just trying to collect as much info as I can so I can make the best choices. DanOr and I have been in contact via e-mails. He has given me some great info. Thanks guys.

Gator Hunter

cfwalleye

Rufus Woods is my favorite place to fish. Its incredible in February when the bald eagles migrate through there. Banks has been rough this year. We had a rough tournament in May and it hasn’t really turned on ever since. (You were at the tourney weren’t you RJMontana?) I’ve managed a few out of there but nothing great. Potholes has been fairly consistent. The bite has moved around alot but the number of fish caught has been pretty good. Moses is hot for 10 minutes and then off for an hour….typical. I haven’t fished Roosevelt lately, but I know that Don Hall and Gordon Steinmetz who usually guide on Banks have been driving up to Roosevelt for their trips. I’m heading to Banks in a couple weeks. Its been almost 2 months because I’ve been spending every available minute on the Columbia. RJ: If you’re ever over and see a cranberry ProV 1890 with walk-through (used to be Don Hall’s and then Kimo’s) stop me and say hi. The winning weight at Camas was actually:

1st Place: Mike Davis and John Legg with 11 fish, 4 over 24 inches, big fish Saturday was 12.45 pounds and big fish for Sunday was 10.39 pounds for a total weight of 73.99 pounds.

2nd Place: Bobby Jones and Nick Puryear with 11 fish, big fish on Sunday was 8.71 pounds. They had 4 fish over 24 inches and weighed 60.41 pounds.

3rd Place: Doug Allen and Dave Gallagher weighed 10 fish with a big fish of 8.87 on Saturday and 10.60-pound walleye on Sunday and had 4 fish over 24 inches. They weighed 58.30 pounds for third place.

4th Place: John Grubenhoff and Steve Hockaday weighed 9 fish, 3 over 24 inches including an 11.40-pound walleye on Sunday for a total weight of 48.73 pounds.

5th Place: Dave Wolfe and Gerald Cochran weighed 8 fish and only two fish was over 24 inches including an 8.88-pound walleye on Saturday and a 12.18 pounder on Sunday for a total weight of 47.27 pounds

6th Place: Ron Fear and Kurt Sonderman weighed 9 fish and had 4 over 24 inches with their big fish of 6.50 for Saturday and 9.46 on Sunday for a total weight of 46.69 pounds.

7th Place: Brett Sorenson and William Pyper weighed 7 fish of which 3 were over 24 inches. Big fish on Saturday was 9.86 pounds and on Sunday 11.36 pounds for a total of 46.66 pounds.

8th Place: Jeff Warila and Robert Warila weighed 6 fish, 3 over 24 inches with a 9.67 pounder on Saturday and a 10.0 pounder on Sunday for a total of 46.56 pounds.

9th Place: Cal Burkhardsmeier and Larry McClintock weighed 4 fish all over 24 inches with a big fish of 11.59 pounds on Saturday and a 12.94-pound walleye on Sunday. They got 41.5 pounds, second big fish on Saturday and big fish on Sunday. 4 fish: 41 lbs. Thats how you do it

10th Place: Dave Chambers and Sandra Paine weighed 6 fish all on Saturday with a 10.48 pounder but unfortunately they could not get a fish on Sunday. They had a total weight of 39.08 pounds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.