Making a differance

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Back a few years ago while working for a Corporation, I came up with what I called the Star Fish Award. I used it at meetings to show appreciation of an employee, a customer or even a supplier that constantly tried making a difference in a positive way to people. Giving out the Star Fish Award was a highlight of my career.

Here’s the story behind the Star Fish Award based on the story by Loren Eisley…

The older man awoke early, as he often did, just before sunrise to walk by the ocean’s edge and greet the new day. As he moved through the misty dawn, he focused on a faint, far away motion. He saw a youth, bending and reaching and flailing arms, dancing on the beach, no doubt in celebration of the perfect day soon to begin.

As he approached, he sadly realized that the youth was not dancing to the day, but rather bending to sift through the debris left by the night’s tide, stopping now and then to pick up a starfish and then standing, to heave it back into the sea. I asked the youth the purpose of the effort. “The tide has washed the starfish onto the beach and they cannot return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun rises, they will die, unless I throw them back to the sea.”

As the youth explained, the man surveyed the vast expanse of beach, stretching in both directions beyond his sight. Starfish littered the shore in numbers beyond calculation. The hopelessness of the youth’s plan became clear to him and the man countered, “But there are more starfish on this beach than you can ever save before the sun is up. Surely you cannot expect to make a difference.”

The youth paused briefly to consider the mans words, bent to pick up a starfish and threw it as far as possible. Turning to the wise old man… he simply said, “I made a difference to that one.”

The man left the boy and went home, deep in thought of what the boy had said. I returned to the beach and spent the rest of the day helping the boy throw starfish in to the sea.

I don’t have an extra $75. to donate to this cause but I do want to make a difference. What I’m asking for is sponsors. Sponsors that can make a difference to 5 kids in MN that have SMA-1 which is a genetic disease that attacks the voluntary nervous system, leaving the infant paralyzed from the nose down.

If I can raise $75. or more sponsor dollars, I’ll be out there in my golf shorts, (like I own any lime green shorts) shirt and IDA hat. All donations will go directly to the Brandon Rolen Foundation…100%.

Help me throw back some star fish, make a difference…and turn a good guy into a silly golfer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the thoughtful story BK. I’m in for $25. Although all the money goes to SMA-1 and the Brandon Rolen Foundation half of my motivation for donating is so you’ll have to show up in your golf shorts and take a few hack-swings in front of a crowd.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I really hope they have a good grounds keeper…

Sampson said I can use his shovels…err…clubs.

Thanks James! 50 more to go!

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

I’m in for $20 you in golf shorts I want Pics .LOL
    Its a great cause

PM me where to send check

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I’ll give you a Hamilton just for posting pictures of your golf game in action on IDA

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

We would be happy to cover whats left. Looks like $30.00

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’ll give you a Hamilton just for posting pictures of your golf game in action on IDA

Looks like we just sponsored us a golfer, guys!

Of course that should NOT stop people from donating further. Actually I think anyone that donates $25 or more should be able to request a “stupid human” trick from BK that has to be done on the course during the event.

For example… hitting from the tee box, hole #6, blindfolded. Playing an entire hole with nothing but the putter. “Putting” with a pool cue. Driving while wearing his infamous dress. Stop a fellow golfer mid-swing to “hold my pet bullhead.” Use his catfish mailbox as a head protector for his driver. Etc., etc.

For my request… I want a copy of your score card, posted here on the site after the fact, please.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I request he sends a stand in so no one has to look at him in his golf shorts

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I tell you what… I, as well, am in a bit of a financial bind. Will cost me a minimum of $75 just in gas to get down there and back… Anyone willing to help out a great cause… I will donate my aweful golfing abilities and STILL show BrianK up. So, anyone willing to donate to this AWESOME cause… I will cover my gas money… you assist me in sponsoring the donation and I will make sure to come back with pics of BrianK in the most hillarious of poses as he “attempts” to swing a golf club. Come on… who’s in?

hey Brian… feel like pairing up with me?

(for those of you that want to donate to this most important cause, but don’t have the time or as much monetary abilities to donate… this is an AWESOME opportunity… If nobody donates, I will commit to covering it somehow, someway… quite a ways from where I live… but I can’t imaging a world where people are not willing to take on these challenges. If if means me taking it all on… well, I know who I answer to in the end… and, broke or not… I hope to be on HIS list )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Let’s get this out of the way first…

Please make checks payable to:

The Brandon Rolen Foundation

18863 Englewood Circle

Farmington, MN 55024 USA

Please place Briank in the memo line.

James…THEY KEEP TRACK?!

You do realize that I’ve never touched a golf club in my life?

I’m off to google “tips from a golf pro”.

Open to request for donations of $25. or more.

Thanks guys! You too StickDad!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James…THEY KEEP TRACK!

If you get out of this without having to wear Sonny’s Stinkbait as cologne I’ll be amazed.

This post is for any of IDA’s members that have put up with one too many of BK’s BAD jokes or silly posts. It is time to get even PEOPLE!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Is there a fund raiser golf event going on ? or is this somthing brian is doing on his own iam confused. also is that auction somthing that can go on all of the time or is it over?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Actually I think anyone that donates $25 or more should be able to request a “stupid human” trick from BK that has to be done on the course during the event.

I am going to change my bid THEN. I am in for 25$ now.
    Anything to tell BK what to do for once.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Actually I think anyone that donates $25 or more should be able to request a “stupid human” trick from BK that has to be done on the course during the event.

…except for slider….

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I am in for $25. This could be good! I’ll give you two choices BK.

You can lead your foursome in the Star Spangled Banner on the 1st tee, or, also on the first tee, make a patriotic speech while the rest of the foursome is humming to America the Beautiful!

Dave, does your camera record sound as well!

Eric

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Dave, does your camera record sound as well!

Eric

If not, Sampson’s most certainly does.

Hey BK, do you know the words or are you going to pull a Rosie?!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

James i sent you a pm

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Let’s get this out of the way first…

Please make checks payable to:
    The Brandon Rolen Foundation
    18863 Englewood Circle
    Farmington, MN 55024 USA

James…THEY KEEP TRACK!

You do realize that I’ve never touched a golf club in my life?
    I’m off to google “tips from a golf pro”.

Open to request for donations of $25. or more.

Thanks guys! You too StickDad!

I’m in when we send it in do we suggest it is for someone to golf?
    BK, I’ll have to think of a stunt for you and ask someone to verify you did it!

sumerr
    Minnesota

Just put “Brian K” on the checks in the “memo” spot.

James,

I’m bringing my video cameras and still cameras… do you think you could hook me up by posting Brian’s swings, and stunts on the web… this is going to be FUN seeing this….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Actually I think anyone that donates $25 or more should be able to request a “stupid human” trick from BK

I am sooooo in for $25

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My tossing and turning in bed was justified I see…

When I read…”You can lead your foursome….” I was scared…when I read…. “in the Star Spangled Banner” I was scared MORE!

Denise, you be nice to me! Please keep in mind I have physical and mental limitations…some might argue more mental than physical.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Ok… I apologize, but after re-aggravating my back injury… I am going to have to bow out. I am in Ohio for work right now, and the seats on the plane were just horrible. Mixed with a little turbulance, well, I have been tossing and turning in pain all night and just realized now that there is NO way that I could swing a golf club on friday. I am back to the doctor on friday for another epidural… Sorry all.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Does IDA have a team entering? I think I might be able to swing it….

I think an IDA team would be great….Beside the whole BK thing….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That sinks Dave. Take it easy…you have a lot of holes to drill this year!

Calvin? You can be on my team…but you might have to hmmm in the background…

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I’m in for $10. With the way my summer is going, That’s about what i can spare for now. Good luck Tiger “Woosy” Klawitter!

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

My check for $25 is in the mail. Pics of BK in his hot pink golf shorts must be posted.

Hey Brian, do you even know what a tee is?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks I think…Chappy!

You know, I don’t know how many times my Dad and I would look out his picture window and poke fun at the people going by in there…”golf outfits”.
    My folks moved into a townhouse near a country club in Hutchinson.
    Dad would be quick to point out that nearly all these “golfers” were retired farmers who, 10 years earlier never owned a pair of shorts since the ’30’s when they were kids.
    He’d say “look at those white legs, they haven’t seen sunlight since the depression”…with a big grin on his face. They’ve traded in there tractors for golf carts.

Yup, on Friday, at 1 pm good old Dad is going to roll over in his grave…but I’m sure he’ll be smiling from above because what better ’cause to lose his favorite son to golf for?

I just recieved word that I could have two IDAers join me…just need one more to make a quartet or whatever they are called.

Remember, kick off time is 1 pm…if you can make it!

Favorite wife…I know you didn’t believe me this morning…this is why I’m breaking my religion. I’ll be home late as I’m not sure how long 18 holes will take. I’m guessing I’ll be home by early next week. Hold dinner!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m down for $25.

I’m sure the guys in “Nancy’s” group will let him swing from the Ladies Tee.

Here’s your clothing for Friday Brian.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Blue…Now where am I going to find something like that???

I was kinda hoping they have a bunny hill…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.