Pop Up Adds

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well, I got myself into something…getting a lot of pop up adds…NON-STOP!! Does anyone recommend something to eliminate these god-forsaken things?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

my son got me into pop ups big time when he was last here… something he downloaded… I went to http://www.tucows.com and got lavasoft adaware…..

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I got a neat little freeware program called “Pop-Up Stopper” (or something) made by Panicware. It works awesome… but for pages with pop-ups from links (like the EFN Classifieds for example, you need to hold down the control key while you click.)

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I got a neat little freeware program called “Pop-Up Stopper” (or something) made by Panicware. It works awesome… but for pages with pop-ups from links (like the EFN Classifieds for example, you need to hold down the control key while you click.)

I have Never had a pop up add from Any EFN page or link! Neither here at home or on several other PC’s I use to access this site.

I have to believe you have a poor ISP or some sort of Bug.

Curious…what kind of adds pop up?

Jon J.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Oh I know it’s not from EFN. That is for sure !!

My girls have been on the computer downloading music and getting lyrics for songs…playing card games on yahoo…stuff like that….

the adds that are poping up are for free screen savers,vacation destinations…junk like that….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

the one that really busts my chops puts up tons of pop-ups… then has the audacity to proclaim.. “tired of pop-ups? Then buy our software that prevents them!”… kind of like extortion if you ask me!…. geeee thats a nice computer you have there, it would be a shame if it burned to the ground… you need some protection! (from us)…

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Thats not what I meant Jon. If you go to the classifieds, go to a section, and click on an ad, a small browser window “pops up”, with the ad details. The software thinks it’s the “normal” pop-up ad that we are tired of experiencing. Thats why you have to hold the control key down while clicking, otherwise the details of the ad will never show up. I was just using it as an example… for those who may try this software, and wonder why some things never show up when they click them.

Jeez… try to help somebody out, and you get jumped on.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Ah, the intricacies of the written word over a verbal conversation. No jumping on intended!

I thought you may have had a problem with pop ups originating from this site, and that is not the case. Sorry for the confusion.

J.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

RiverEyes,

Did you download that from their website or purchase it by mail ? How long did it take to get if your ordered it by mail ?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

EC,

I can bring you a copy of the Adware this weekend if you want. One of my techs got another one that I think is even better. I’ll have to find out what it was and I’ll post after he gets into the office.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

My apologies to Jon. I guess I was a bit testy yesterday, according to my better half.

kooty
    Keymaster

EC,

After doing some evaluting, I would say you need to run two applications, adware to clean the pc and pop-up stopper to protect in the future. I would also run Ad-ware once a month just to keep you pc clean.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

EC… I downloaded it from the internet….. I have DSL so that was pretty quick… and Ive tried a number of these programs… the newest release of adaware was the most effective… though Im checking out the other stuff people are talking about… in the war against pop ups you can never have TOO much fire power…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Waterfowler,thanks,,,I see you this weekend….

RiverEyes,downloading is easy with cable modem too…Did you purchase it off of twocows ?

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

We have something called Ad-aware6 that seems to work well. it cleans up your computer of cookies and junk like that where pop-up hide? I’m not very computer literate. You do have to re-run the thing from time to time and I think its free. Good luck

jardan
    Cedar Rapids Iowa

Hi Folks
    I have 3 free programs that I like to have on my pc.These sites can be accessed from your favorite search engine (google,ect)They are Spybot search and destroy,Ad aware and Panic Ware’s Pop-up Stopper.They protect you from pop-up adds,unsolisated cookies and spyware.They are all free and they are all free from spyware. You can download them right off the internet so you dont have to go out and look for them. Some of them ask for donations,just to help them.But I have found that the free versions work just as well.I hope I have been able to be of some help.
    Jardan

herb
    6ft under

Hi jardan
    thanks all

kooty
    Keymaster

The Ad-ware program should only run when you “tell” it to. Did you click on the “check for updates” before running the program?? I’m assuming you told the program to check the whole c: drive?

I’ll have my laptop this weekend, I’ll show you how I have mine configured to run. I don’t believe it should leave anything running in the background unless you are cleaning your pc at the time.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I look forward to spending some time with you om this one waterfowler

bonbon
    Baldwin County, Alabama

Hello ecnook. This is my first post, so forgive me that it’s not about fishing. I just read about your problem this evening and thought I would add my 2 cents. There is another free download site ( http://www.download.com ) where you can get “ad-aware” and “spybot”, along with “pop-up stopper”, “zone alarm”, “armor2net” and multiple other downloads not associated with pop-ups or hackers. And they are all free. The only thing about the pop-up stoppers is that they will disable some of the free sites that your kids may use for downloading music unless you have that program running when using your ad busters ( and if you download music, you know to which site I’m referring ). But there are alternatives to the ad sites for downloading music, but I’m trying to avoid lawsuits, so I better not disclose them here.

Also, if anyone is having trouble with the messenger pop-ups like Rivereyes mentioned, there is a simple fix for that. Unfortunately, that messenger service is a legitimate program built into Windows XP and 2000 for “programs that rely on internal networking” ( according to AOL ), but it has become one more target for spammers to get their junk mail to you.

To Disable the Messenger Service Manually:
    — Click on the Start button in the taskbar
    — Open Control Panels
    — Go to “Administrative Tools” (XP users may need to go to “Performance and Maintenance” first, then “Administrative Tools”)
    — Double-click on “Services”
    — Scroll down to “Messenger”
    — Double-click on “Messenger”
    — Change the Startup type to “Disabled”
    — Click “Stop” to stop the service

To Re-Enable Manually:
    Follow the above steps, but change the Startup type to “Automatic,” then click “Apply,” then click “Start” under Service Status.

Note:
    You must be logged on as an Administrator for the automatic fix to work.

And this was also according to AOL.

I hope this helps, and sorry so much info. Can’t seem to stop myself sometimes. I just keep going, and going, and going……..well, you get the picture.

pool2fool

welcome to FTR gwg ! don’t worry about going, going etc. nothing like a fishing site to really stretch things out

bonbon
    Baldwin County, Alabama

Thank you P2F. And it’s great that one is able to wax long and not have to worry about space on which to wax.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Its been a while since I looked through the posts, so I’m probably a little late on this one. I have a program on my computer called popup killer. It works a lot better than popup stopper, as i’ve used that too. With popup killer, you can add the popups that show up to the “black list” and then it will get rid of them right when they show up on the screen. Another positive to it is that you don’t have to hold down ctrl to surf the web and visit your favorite sites. I downloaded that program from kazaa and its worked great. The only problem I have had with it is when I was messing around with a bunch of settings on my computer and accidently deleted the black list i already had , so I have to build it back up again. If anyone wants to know more about this program, drop me a line and I’ll tell ya more about it.

David

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.