ON BOARD BATTERY CHARGERS

• maaonvermilion

EITHER I AM JUST PLAIN LAZY, OR GOD FORBID TO OLD, I AM GETTING TIRED OF TAKING OUT THOSE TWO BATTERIES AND CHARGING THEM AFTER EVERY TRIP….ANY SUGGESTIONS ON TYPE, MAKE, MODEL, AMPS PER BANK FOR AN ON BOARD CHARGER.. I HAVE A MINN KOTA 70LBS THRUST SO I DO NEED A 2 BANK.. I AM NEW AT THE GAME SO ANY SUGGESTIONS BY YOU WISEMEN WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I have a Minn-Kota 3 bank charger. Can’t be hooked up wrong as it automatically determines how you batteries are wired. I bought the three bank to keep all three batteries charged all the time and maintained in the winter. Works great and never had a problem. It may not be as fast as some other units, but it always has a full charge when plugged in overnight.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yepper vote #2 for a Minnkota 3 bank. Time to check out Jolly Ann and the great deals Wade has.
    Jolly Ann

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

I HAVE A MINNKOTA TOO AND I LOVE IT. 3 BANK ALSO

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Magic,

The MK 220 would be my suggestion. It has a $25 rebate too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Again, I have the three banker from “Sudden Service Wade”. I’m old (and lazy), plug it in and forget about it. Keep your batteries in your boat all winter (plugged in). Just don’t forget to check the water levels and contacts at least three times per year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m a fan of Guest chargers. Had one for years. Used customer service once and it was great.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I had a Guest 2 bank that quit working last year. Replaced it with the Minnekota 3 bank from Wade. 10 amps per bank. I think it was the MK330. Works great so far.

GNFISN

MK220 Minn-Kota . Happy as heck with it

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Go with the lowest amp unit, it will take longer to charge but its better for the batteries.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I have a min kota, but a 2 banker. Love it, but wish it was a 3 bank. No brainer, and can’t wire it wrong unless you try real hard to do so.

So ‘git one!’ You won’t be sorry.

aanderud

The rebates on the minkota chargers make them slightly more attractive than they normally are, but I still think they’re over-priced at $280+tax for the 330 (3 banks, 10 amps each).

I got the Cabelas brand “ProSport II 20 Plus” charger last year. It’s currently $180+tax. This is “only” a 20 amp charger, but it is still 3 banks, and it will split the 20 amps among the 3 banks intelligently. Since you don’t run the starting battery down, it’ll provide only an amp or 2 trickle charge to that battery, leaving like 18 amps to split for the other 2 batteries (9 amps per battery instead of 10 with the minkota) on a 24 volt trolling pair. Note that this charger is smaller, lighter, than the old-fashioned minkotas that haven’t been redesigned in 10+ years. With this newer design and smarter charger, in theory you could hook up just 1 battery and get all 20 amps out to that battery, if you needed a faster charge for some reason. This is a really neat feature that the older minkota chargers simply don’t have.

Cabelas doesn’t just magically manufacture everything under the sun. The “Pro Sport” chargers are rebranded “ProMariner” chargers, which are very good chargers.

Check some reviews, I’ve been happy with mine, had it for a year. It gets 4.8 out of 5 stars on cabelas out of 24 reviews, same as the mk330 gets but with 5x the reviewers.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve had some Guests and they’ve worked all right. I recently purchased a 3 bank Cabela’s Pro Sport 20 Plus for the Crestliner, and it’s workin real well. I don’t care if you call me lazy or not….on boards are the only way to fly!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.