Fight For Hunter’s Point

• jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

I just got this off of Hunter’s Website:

As some of you may know Hunters Point has recently applied for a new conditional use permit to cover all of the new houses we have taken on since the closing of neighboring resorts.

We are now asking for your help in this issue. Neighboring residents are petitioning to deny the permit thus would mean we would have to cut summer storage down to only 44 houses. They are writing letters into the county accusing the resort of being unsanitary, noisy, and overcrowded. We have tried to compromise with these residents by volunteering to put up no parking signs, removing all fish houses off the properties looked near George & Linda’s old house and by agreeing not to add anymore house to the resort. They still continue to fight us.

Hunters point strives be your home away from home. We enjoy being the place where you teach your children how to fish, enjoy campfires and play in the snow. We have worked for the past 11 yrs to make the resort as enjoyable for you and your families as possible. We hope you enjoy seeing us as much as we enjoy seeing you. Our customers are not customers to us, you are like our second family and we never want to see that end.

We ask that you PLEASE write letters to Mille Lacs County Commissioner letting them know your position on this issue. We need your help in fighting to keep Hunters Point, the Resort we have come to know, we would have to close down our summer storage and say goodbye to good friends/customers and we are trying our best to see that it doesn’t happen, hopefully your letters and support will make the difference.

Thank You!

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

Letters should be sent to:

Frank Courteau
    District 5
    10654 390th St
    Onamia, MN 56359
    (320)532-4627

birddog
    Mn.

“They are writing letters into the county accusing the resort of being unsanitary, noisy, and overcrowded.”

LOL…Can’t really argue there, can we?? Not so sure about the “unsanitary” part, unkept might be better. The same can be said for MOST of the other lakeside resorts as well. These three reasons are the EXACT reasons we didn’t go with a lakeside/resort seasonal site. And we looked at just about every resort on the entire lake before making the decision to stay the heck away from the lakeside resorts…overcrowded, noisy and unkept.

It doesn’t sound like the neighboring property owners are out of line or off base here. Put yourself in their shoes, would you want to deal with what seems like a circus on weekends?

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Hunter’s Point has my support and I will send a letter. There is a strong trend that is going on in MN. and that is to drive many resort owners out of business, high taxes, developers buying the property and so on.
    My point is I want to have a choice in the future for my children to enjoy a get away. Slowly in MN. the choices are disappearing.

redneck
    Rosemount

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I would have to side with Hunters. I would bet that they have been there much longer than the complaining neighbors. It is pretty common anymore for city slickers to move in next to a farm and then complain about the smell—same principle.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to add my thoughts on this even though I have only been to Hunter’s 2 times. From what I have seen, it is one of the cleanest resorts in the area. The cabins, shower facility, launch, and bar/restaurant are all arranged and in excellent condition. George, Linda, and Staff do a great job.
    I wouldn’t have went about speaking my opinion quite like Cassie did (well a year or so ago I would have ), but I do agree with what she says about the upper class people trying to mold the world around their desires. It happens everywhere and people need to stand up for themselves

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

I moved my fishhouse to Hunter’s BECAUSE of the of what George has done to the resort. Upgraded restaurant, bar and cabins. Resort grounds are kept up nicely and the crew that works there provide a quality service. Sure it’s a busy resort but there is a reason it is busy…. Everyone has an opinion I guess but it’s pretty rare to hear and read anything negative about Hunter’s Point Resort.

birddog
    Mn.

Holy crap! Eaaasssy trigger!

So are you a spokesperson for the resort? I’m a little perplexed, you use, we, they, us, them? Which is it, are you a spokesperson for hunters, a family member or just a concerned citizen? I hope for the resort owners sake your not a “spokesperson”, because the way you come off isn’t good business. I have been to the resort 10+ times over the last 5 years for drinks, launching, dinner, after your comments, we won’t be back. And that was NOT the case 10 minutes ago. I can’t believe if your a hunters worker or owner that you’ll come on a public forum and act like an absolute child. Your childish attitude makes the establishment look terrible!! After your words I truley wonder who’s trying to work with who here? Sounds to me like maybe the resort is being hard to deal with if your part of the crew?? Hey, that’s how you come off and if your speaking for the establishment it doesn’t make you (hunters)sound that pleasant!

There’s more to the story than what was originally posted and more to the story than the bright words of wisdom you’ve enlightened us with. There is also the property owners side which has yet to be put out there. 2 sides to every story. As long as were in this, what EXACTLY is the permit for? What changes does the resort want to make?

I’m more than willing to discuss this in a grown up manner, keep the childish (censored), judging others, crystal ball crap out of it, it’s a joke and looks and sounds terrible. You know nothing about myself, my family, my past, what I do and where I go! But you sure like to act as if you know me?? If you work there, maybe you do know me? After all, I have spent some money at the resort!! If all it takes for you(hunters) to fly off the handle is a discussion on the net it has to make some think twice about spending their money with you.

Yes, the resorts are crowded and loud, it’s a given for a Mille Lacs summer. Yes, the shanty towns all around the lake look unkept, even hunters. They’re stacked in like cord wood. This is a opinion. I cast no judgment on you or the resort, unlike yourself. You seem to cast judgment awfully easy and in a negative manner. Childish! Actually makes me want to make call after call tomorrow to the name listed above…against the permit…but I won’t, your post doesn’t seem to be helping the cause. Now, had you come on, explain LIKE AN ADULT what’s going on, maybe you’d have changed my opinion? And others opinions.

Let me clarify…”unkept” since that’s the ONE word that has you ready for war…I’m talking the shanty town(s), they just look “unkept”. I’m not talking the resort, bar, ect…they’re very nice. Nice, one of the reasons we have made regular stops at “your” establishment. Unfortunatly, those pit stops are over because of your attitude. That’s unfortunate. I should also clairify, after speaking with my wife about how often we have stopped at your establishment, she says at least 5 times a year the last 5 years, she does have a better memory than I so I trust here math. Does that make you feel better? Do you like business??

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

Did you bother to read my post? Never said Hunters was a bad place?? Geesh! I said I spend money there and visit often. And that business you obviously don’t care about. This is fine, you don’t want our business, we won’t bring it. My money’s no good?? There are plenty of places to give my business to. So much for appreciating the business, rather, we don’t give a hoot about our customers! The unfortunate part of this…your words…your attitude towards a paying customer is terrible and will more than likely cause a few others to think twice about spending their money with you.. Keep talking out of the wrong end, with every word you look worse and worse. If your goal is to drive away business…congrats, you’ve accomplished that! Smart, good business sense!

BIRDDOG

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Whoa slow down here guys! This post was not posted for a bashing on Hunters it is to bring to everyones attention the situation Hunters and the neighbors of Hunters are in. You can either be on one side or the other,the contact info is displayed above submit your inquiries and opinions there and lets keep IDA clean from the post wars..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Cassie, you are attacking a person, and not the problem. That is unnecessary. I have a lot of love and respect for your parents, and think they have done an admirable job with Hunter’s Point! I have seen the charitable side of Linda and George that many may not see. These are truly folks that would give you the shirts off their backs. That being said, your post does not relfect that attitude. I understand that this is a highly charged topic for you and your family. But how about taking the emotions, and clearly stating the obvious in a logical manner. George and Linda have garbage cans outside each cabin, and Porta-Potties at the launch, as well as inside restrooms. They built brand new cabins and fish houses That have truly enhanced the resort. They have built berms along the highway to hide from view fish houses that are being stored. During tournaments, Hunter’s staff has been parking vehicles in back lots, away from neighbors houses, and shuttling them to the ramps. George and Linda have surveilance systems in place to monitor activity within and around the bar. I know for a fact, they do whatever it takes to keep peace with the neighborhood. I know George has offered reduced rates for neighbors to use the boat launches, etc. Hunter’s employs a lot of local people, and brings a lot of money to the local economy (Including other resorts!) by hosting major and lesser known tournaments. Personally, I believe George and Linda should be commended rather than condemmed! If patrons are unruly, or if parking is an issue, then there are laws on the books to address that. Anyone is free to have their own feelings about this issue, or Hunter’s Point. And that is fine. For that very reason, I am not going to lock this post, or edit your reply. I recommend you read Birddog’s post again, and see what he is saying, and address the issues. There are two sides to every story. And there will be a resolution. One thing for sure is that when everything Hunter’s Point has done to enhance the area, and the services they provide are brought up to a responsible group of people, there can be but one outcome.

Darn it, I was almost asleep, and this post kept creeping back into my mind! I had to say something.
    G’night.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Hunters does not need people who don’t appreciate all the work they do to make there customers happy

That’s right folks…if you aren’t appreciative of the work they do, they don’t want your money!. You heard it here first. “I’m so appreciative I get to spend my money at hunters today, so excited!!”?? You probably want to believe that’s why people come there. Appreciation is NOT the reason!

**News flash**
    We’re spending our money with you because YOU provided a SERVICE, not because we’re “appreciative”! Nothing more, nothing less. You do something for me and I’ll pay you…SIMPLE! Service! That’s right! Serve my drink, do my dishes, clean the ice house, when we’re done I’ll pay you for that service. Do I appreciate it? Not really, it’s your JOB, your getting paid!! Do I expect appreciation when I do a job? No, just want to do a good job, make the customer happy, get paid and move on to the next one,…can’t cash appreciation!

We as consumers are paying YOU and WE should be appreciative?? What a JOKE! You are VERY confused, might want to rethink that one. Judging from the fact you don’t want my money, your business plan is working as intended.

You may not want my money, that’s fine, you won’t get anymore ice trips(several the last 5 years), no more launches, lunches, drinks or cabin rental for my bro…or it seems from quite a few others judging by my PM box and email!

Keep running that mouth, it’s surely doing wonders for the business? Can you hear all the new customer banging down the door??

And to think, it’s all cool had you replied like a level headed adult, better explained..eerrr.. explained at all and answer questions as to what’s going on! Rather than insulting your customers try that word you used…appreciate them.

I can no doubt find a resort that wants MY business. Most of them do want the business but there’s the few out there that don’t really care, are insulting and maybe just to big for their britches??

BIRDDOG

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alrighty then…what was this topic about?

Oh yeah…

Quote:

I just got this off of Hunter’s Website:

As some of you may know Hunters Point has recently applied for a new conditional use permit to cover all of the new houses we have taken on since the closing of neighboring resorts.

We are now asking for your help in this issue. Neighboring residents are petitioning to deny the permit thus would mean we would have to cut summer storage down to only 44 houses. They are writing letters into the county accusing the resort of being unsanitary, noisy, and overcrowded. We have tried to compromise with these residents by volunteering to put up no parking signs, removing all fish houses off the properties looked near George & Linda’s old house and by agreeing not to add anymore house to the resort. They still continue to fight us.

Hunters point strives be your home away from home. We enjoy being the place where you teach your children how to fish, enjoy campfires and play in the snow. We have worked for the past 11 yrs to make the resort as enjoyable for you and your families as possible. We hope you enjoy seeing us as much as we enjoy seeing you. Our customers are not customers to us, you are like our second family and we never want to see that end.

We ask that you PLEASE write letters to Mille Lacs County Commissioner letting them know your position on this issue. We need your help in fighting to keep Hunters Point, the Resort we have come to know, we would have to close down our summer storage and say goodbye to good friends/customers and we are trying our best to see that it doesn’t happen, hopefully your letters and support will make the difference.

Thank You!

ole1855

Wow, this is a little high charged!! I too have no dog in the fight other than to say……Look around the lake, there used to be alot of fishing/family resorts. How many do you see today? These resorts have always been the average joe’s place to go to enjoy themselves at the lake. Over the last 25 years, the average joe has lost alot of their old traditional resorts to go to.

I guess my point is I think we all need to support the few resorts we have left because once they are all gone, where are you going to go? Between the sky rocketing lakeshore prices and the tribe buying up so many of the resorts around the lake, many of us are loosing a place to go and enjoy time away from work!!

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

I know there are a lot of people out there that feel the same way I do, and I am sure there are some that disagree with too. I have been going up to Hunter’s along with many others on IDA for years now and love the atmosphere and everyone around there. The reason that I posted this was just to inform the people that do go up there and enjoy all that this resort has to offer of the situation at hand, and ask for a little support and help to try to keep a good thing going.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

And thanks for doing so Jason. We as patrons need to do our part as well, and be sensitive to the fact that there are other people living around Hunter’s. That means respecting their property when you are up there, and behaving as you would at your own home. I know that 99% of folks do. But that 1% will get all the negative attention.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

A few thoughts after having read this “highly charged” thread…

1. Anytime you are dealing with government and the public, you need to carry a high level of professionalism and check your emotions at the door.

2. While the request for a CUP is going through the system, the petitioner needs to be aggressively courting county staff and the commissioners OUTSIDE of the meetings. This means getting together with county staff during business hours to find ways to mitigate potential complaints that are going to come from the public.

3. Consider inviting neighbors to meet with you and county staff in order to reach compromise positions on the most contentious issues.

4. Once you get into the public hearings, county staff and the commission should be in your back pocket already because you have done your homework and addressed public complaints beforehand.

You do these things, your odds of success climb dramatically.

Just my two cents worth.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I don’t recall what this was orginally about now, but I’m pretty sick of reading the BS from both sides instead of talking about the issue at hand.

I personally love spending time at Hunters and will continue to frequent the place on my visits to Mille Lacs. I think George is a great guy who truely tries to take care of his customers. Haven’t experienced that at other resorts around the lake. So George, you have my support, but remind me never to tangle with Cassie.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty, also remember never to go on a Cusssing Rampage at the TV either.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

“unkept” shanty towns? Is it the responsibility of the resort owner to tell someone they need to repaint or reside their ice shack because it “looks unkept”

George has taken on alot of houses that were left out in the cold when neighboring resorts have closed.
    We need to support the resorts as much as possible. Look at the west side. 7 resorts have folded in the last 10 years on the west side. And a 8th is in the process of selling its cabins.

These resorts keep folding and it puts a burden on the other resorts trying to keep everyone happy. There are builders chomping at the bit to get their hands on mille lacs lakeshore. I hope someday we arent all sleeping in our cars at the public access.

As far as Hunters being unkept, noisy and overcrowed.

Ive rented cabins and motel units from George many times. All were spotless, modern and very well kept. The only noise comes from inside the bar. Its a bar!!

If you currently have a fish house at Hunters, I’d be writing that letter… Or you could be storing your shack in your backyard. Most mille lacs resorts dont have room for private’s and some are getting rid of the fish house business all together.

Tigerlily55449

Out of respect for IDA and there website I have removed my posts. I am sorry if the issue got out of hand! Jason posted this topic to get support for Hunters and it seems that most of you are very supportive and we thank you for that. George and Linda have worked very hard to make sure that there customers enjoy there time at Hunters and hope to continue seeing you in years to come. This may be a business but its more like a friendship. IDA I am sorry for my posts (It does get a lil infuriating when someone does not support all your family has worked for) Promise no more!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Cassie;
    We are a small enough group where I think most of us understand your passion with the family business. Many people here are self-employed via “small family business”.

When a threat comes to take that away, the passion rises and expectedly so.

There is a lot of respect in the fishing industry towards Hunter’s resort. That respect was earned, not given.

I do believe many members and even our viewers would like to hear more information on this subject. Also, is this something that is becoming common with all the resorts around the lake? This challenge?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I must agree with Glenn Keller on this one. When you see a post like this go south it leaves a uncomfortable feeling in here. We are a large family with alot of people and alot of opinions. The key word is opinion, everyone has one. Unfortunately we all don’t agree with each others opinion. That’s when we have to use a little discretion and voice our opinion and respect others.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

You can write a letter to:

Frank Courteau
    District 5
    10654 390th St
    Onamia, MN 56359
    (320)532-4627

Or send an email to:

[email protected]

Or, preferably do both of these things in support of Hunter’s Point. As posted several times already in this thread, it’s not just George and H.P we need to worry about. It’s a disturbing trend we are seeing. I’d like to take a launch out with my Grandkids. I’d also like to rent a shack and be able to ice fish off of a safe, plowed road. If this trend continues, when I have Grandkids, there won’t be anywhere on Mille Lacs to do these things.

Tigerlily55449

Yes the disappearence of resorts has definatly become quite a trend on Mille Lacs. When several of the resorts around the area closed they came to George and asked him to take in their houses so they wouldn’t lose their spot on Mille Lacs.Hunters was never aware that the neighboring residents had any problems with the resort and when they started bringing their complaints to the county we sent out letters to ALL the residents telling them our intentions(we do not plan on extending the number of houses) and that we would do whatever it takes to work with them to fix any and all problems. Some residents have agreed to work with us some continue to fight.

Hunters does appreciate all our customers be it private fish house customers or the general public. Our customers over the years have become more than customers most have become good friends. Saying goodbye to the resort and its people would be saying goodbye to the group of friends we have come to know.

Like Mike said above. We are fighting to keep Hunters alive not only for the current fisherman but for future generations. We all want to be able to share the experiences of fishing on Mille lacs with our children and grandchildren.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

now that’s more like it! Good post! When driving around the lake 15 years ago, the first thing that struck me was these “shanty towns”, and how much they seemed to be out of place. I don’t know if I’m just a bit hardened or what, but the “shanty towns” are better maintained and there are noticably less of them. I know Hunters provides services, (a major income stream comes from ice houses) and the tourneys they sponsor and hold provides the region with a positive economic benefit. If the tourneys left, bringing with it sales tax revenue, wouldn’t the county be forced to raise property taxes? This is a bigger issue than just those neighbors within earshot. So often those decision makers are focused on the issues in front of them, they fail to see the larger picture.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Last I checked IDA was not responsible for supplying offical Government documents. So there were some gramatical errors and spelling errors by the owners kid or whoever started this thread. Sorry you feel that since there were some gramatical errors on a post from Hunter’s asking for our support that you feel that your going to put your business elsewhere. Sounds like you have a personal problem with Hunter’s “BIRDDOG” and shouldn’t that be two words? Bird Dog

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.