Angry Mille Lacs

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Here is a picture (Visual proof why they cancelled day 2 of the Wacker) of an angry Lake Mille Lacs.
    Sorry about the quality, it was through the windshield…

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

That kind of weather on MIlle Lacs can really kick some !!! Glad to see that you were on shore….

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

“The big lake they call Gitcha Goomie…” RR

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Looks like a very good reason to cancel it to me!

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

“The big lake they call Gitcha Goomie…” RR

Gitchigumi = Mille Lacs ?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ya know…From the song, “The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald…” The photo reminded me of lake superior. (I know Gitchigumi is not Mille Lacs …) RR

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

How about Getchaseasick.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I would guess it can’t be too much better out there today with the winds…what’s worse white caps or rollers?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Surf’s up dude

hawgstatus
    Moundsview, MN

What time was this pic taken?

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Ya know…From the song, “The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald…” The photo reminded me of lake superior. (I know Gitchigumi is not Mille Lacs …) RR

I had to make sure for myself………..

ole1855

I would have demanded my money back!! If I spent $1450.00 for a two day tournament, I want a two day tournament! Like someone else said if you take a look at the under weights places 10-113 had better under weights, now if they could have kept that up and tagged one or maybe even two over 28″, the final results would have been very different! Now if they would have said we have bad weather coming in around 2:00-3:00 and we are cutting it short on Fri. that would be a completely different story.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

But you didn’t fish the tournament, so why do you care?

ole1855

Did you miss the part where I said….If I fished the tournament? I’m sure the top guys were happy they called it but I would think places 4-20 would be a little upset?!?!? Permits to hold tournaments are free, as long as they moved it to Wed./Thur., why wouldn’t they get a 3 day permit in case weather was an issue??

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Didn’t miss it, my understanding is they had a vote. I think it was brought up on another thread that it is not common for any tournament to have make up days.

So I revert back to what I just said, why do you care? I could see you having beef if you were there, but you weren’t.

ole1855

No beef, just expressing an opinion, is there an issue expressing an opinion here?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Permits to hold tournaments are free, as long as they moved it to Wed./Thur., why wouldn’t they get a 3 day permit in case weather was an issue??

OK, Lets look at it this way:
    Lodging for every angler, most places are busy on Thursday night, costs money just to hold a place with less than a 24 hour cancellation. I heard that most anglers were without lodging for Thursday night, so would you want to sleep in your truck?
    Most anglers only took off Wed and Thur to fish, back to work on Friday. Now they need to call and tell work that they can not come in.
    Now what IF they cancelled it Friday morning also?

Now I am not bashing you: my point is the directors of the tourney did what they needed to do. I am sure that they did not want to make it a one day tourney but with the info that they had they made the right call.
    The anglers that fished this could be pissed or not at least everyone is safe, as all it takes is one wave.

Ron

ole1855

I will drop it for arguement sake but I know ALOT of the guys that are fishing this tournament and the no lodging is a weak arguement because alot of the guys have a place to stay on the lake or they live within driving distance.

I’m done.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Quote:

But you didn’t fish the tournament, so why do you care?

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

My, My aren’t we all a little testy today! I think we all need to go fishing!!!

jldii

Bottom line is the Herricks chose to make a decision based on safety, and the weather on Thursday was supposed to be worse than it was on Wed., and on Wed., after weigh in there were 3 boats that no longer had kicker motors on their transoms, and a couple that needed windsheilds replaced.

Thursday at weigh in time there were solid 3-4 footers crashing into the dock everyone had to go to for weigh in. Now which person would you want to be…..the man jumping out with the fish and trying not to get crushed between the boat and the dock, or the guy trying to control the boat with the lower unit buried past the cavitation plate in the sand???

They made the right decision, it was a good call..

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I echo Jack’s words! Between 3:30 and 5 pm., the lake was as wild as I have ever seen it, barring a major storm in progress. The weigh-in would have been virtually impossible in those conditions–during THAT time frame.

That all said, the wind/weather forecast for the day, (no matter what it was at 10 am. or whenever,) as predicted– showed no one in there right mind would have subjected themselves to the weather forecast REAL FACTS that were available at 7 am. The odds were HUGE that between St. Cloud and Brainerd, sometime during “mid-day”, the potential for some of the worst conditions in the past 20-30 years was VERY high. Therefore, the odds of getting a day in AS SCHEDULED, were bad at best. With NO WAY of changing the weigh-in schedule during the day depending on developing bad weather. There really was NO CHOICE but to call the day from the start.

Now…just a few of my 2 cents in this regard to the “posters” who are second guessing the Herricks and complaining they got short-changed…..YOUR WORDS MEAN NOTHING, BE IT HERE OR ON ANY OTHER SITE, WITHOUT YOUR FULL NAME, CONTACT INFO ETC. WITHIN YOUR POSTS!! YOUR VOICING THOUGHTS OR AN OPINION IN THIS MATTER IS FINE AND GOOD. BUT TO ME IT MEANS NOTHING IF YOU CAN’T STAND BEHIND YOUR WORDS FOR REAL, INSTEAD OF SOME SORT OF LABEL THAT IS AS GOOD AS DUST.

My solution to the situation is to have a “blow/storm day” in place. Will we ever need it? 22 years of Wackers…I think this would have been the first time. To say the least…a pretty good, smooth record by the Herricks!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Dido Steve’s remarks. Did someone have to get hurt or killed before everyone would agree it was good to cancel the last day? Then once someone did get hurt or god forbid killed would YOU want to be the one responsible for making the call to stay fishing?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I will drop it for arguement sake but I know ALOT of the guys that are fishing this tournament and the no lodging is a weak arguement because alot of the guys have a place to stay on the lake or they live within driving distance.

Good point Ole. However, ALOT of people including myself may have a place to stay or live close enough, but not EVERYONE. So they should have cheated the ones that could not stay or have other obligations on Friday?????

The Herricks made this decsion based on EVERYONE in the field, not most. Also, I actually think the 1st place team probably had the 3rd or 4th best slot fish in the field.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Thanks for the pic Chris…It is a scarey lake to be on in those kinda conditions..
    They made the right call by cancelling the tourney. It is a gamble any of us in tournaments take we all know mother nature has the final say whether it is going to be on or off. I for one would rather be out the money then be taken out of my families life because of a tournament and a bad call. They made the call and from what it looks it was a VERY GOOD call…

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Since I was the lead on the installation of the dock( It is my wifes sister & her husbands place & he was having back problems this spring) shown in the photo I’d just like to point out that the depth of the sand in Sylvan Bay is about 2 ft. That gives you the look of surf. I have seen NW winds blow spray over the 5′ rip rap walls and hit the windows of their cabin that is 20′ from the bank.
    Ii is Herricks tourney & their call. The wind was very impressive in Wahkon that day. I wanted to take our grandkids up to the hogback by Malmo and show them ML at its wildest but it didn’t work out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.