Fish Pictures?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you hadn’t noticed Rob did not have very good lighting in that picture. Half of stacy’s face has a shadow on it and the fish is in a shadow. Do better next time Rob.

When taking photos keep those fingers and hands out from in front of the fish. You want to see the fish not your hands.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would like to add one more thing…

A picture is better than NO picture.

The last thing I would want to see is someone not posting a photo because their arms aren’t bent…ect.

Lots of good points…now if I can remember ONE of them next time out.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The number one rule for me is SMILE. Actually… SMILE DAMMIT! You just caught a photo worthy fish and you pucker up like you sucked on a lemon or stubbed your toe?!

After that it’s all good in my opinion.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wear bright colors (not white).

Are you saying no more White Bikini Pics????

Good Thread Catdadmn!

AHHH let’s not go there you know darn well you need the white bikini pics…unless she has a new one this year???
    This is one of the best pics I have ever seen taken right here.

soooo…. things look bigger if they’re held way out in front????

Love to Troll

I can only wish I had a white bikini-clad hottie to fish with me in my boat! That being said, since I generally fish alone I’ve found that the timer function on my digital camera has helped me take some pretty decent self portrait pics on some of my solo excursions, you just have to make sure you fit in the frame (or crop the picture on the computer if you and the fish aren’t centered). Here’re a few examples…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Whoever suggested shooting upward is a great point. Whenever I take photos of anything, I like to do that. We are used to looking at things level, so when you shoot up it adds interest because it isn’t a perspective we are used to. It also makes the entire photo have a “larger” feel.

The other thing I would suggest is always shoot more than you think because you can always crop it. You give yourself the opportunity for the ideal composition.

BomberA

Quote:

The number one rule for me is SMILE. Actually… SMILE DAMMIT! You just caught a photo worthy fish and you pucker up like you sucked on a lemon or stubbed your toe?!

After that it’s all good in my opinion.

Thank You!!!

I always see pics of these big burly guys who look just irrate that they caught a fish. Anytime I catch a bass over 3 pounds or a muskie over 3 feet long, I am giddy like a little school girl. Heck, some days I am just happy to catch a fish

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Check your Will-eye’s post picture to compare what a little editing can do.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve been telling these cat guys to stretch out their arms to make the fish look bigger…as you can see in Gary’s photo…they just won’t do it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not much of a smile either…

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

looks like more of a grimis, like he is really afraid of the $#!^ that he is going to get from his buds when they find out that he caught a mud-dog

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Zach..For that…I’m going to use a walleye the same size as in your avitar for bait tonight.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Zach..For that…I’m going to use a walleye the same size as in your avitar for bait tonight.

Oh yeah Mr. Sparty-pants?!

Go ahead and use a big walleye for bait tonight. It’s not like you’ll catch any fewer flats than you’ve been catching lately.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Oh yeah Mr. Sparty-pants?!

Go ahead and use a big walleye for bait tonight. It’s not like you’ll catch any fewer flats than you’ve been catching lately.

ooooohh….good one!

Sounds like Bk’s got a skunk in the boat.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Sounds like Bk’s got a skunk in the boat.

Still?????? That things been in there since begining of April. Is that the same skunk that bit him in the nose????

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I think holding fish way out and not smiling is the absolute worst way to take fish pictures. I don’t always smile in my pictures, But I like to have a pleasent look on my face and not look cocky either. I try to have myself and the fish take up most of the picture, with the head of the fish on top (or in the top corner) and the tail of the fish on the bottom (or bottom corner) I love getting good scenery in the background, it is a natural element, but I don’t enjoy revealing spots. You may notice by my pictures, that I don’t like to hold the fish out. My elbows are always bentand holding the fish in close to my body. It isn’t where you are holding the fish, it is where/how you are holding the camera. Take pictures closer up and you won’t have to look like and idiot basically bending over to hold the fish out as far as possible

I want the fish to look natural, and when I catch big fish, they look like big fish, because they ARE!

Just wanted to get my point out, you don’t need to hold the fish out to get a nice picture and make the fish look big. This fish was 18″ and held right tight to my body and it still looks huge!

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Maybe the DNR guys know what to do?

(I had to crop some guy out because I don’t know who he was).

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

I’ve noticed I’m a little late on this topic…
    As I read thru all the replies on taking pictures and looking at most of your pictures there is one more tip that is a very good way to get a good lookin shot of your trophy…whether it be a fish, girlfriend, wife, etc…. If your camera is equipped with a fill flash function use it even if it’s a nice sunny day. If you look back at some of these day time shots there always is some parts that are shadowed whether it be part of the fish or the person. This fill flash function will fill in those shadows. If you camera doesn’t have a fill flash function (Yes, guys… that means you may need to get out the manual ) then I’m sure your regular flash will work just as good. Heck guys… everyone shoots digital cameras now a days…try it and see what ya got…it only takes a second to see. You do know there is a LCD screen in back of the camera to review your shots??? Right???

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quick question. How do you crop pictures? I have some that I just want to down size the picture to cut out the back ground. In the edit mode on my computer I can put a box around what I want to keep and then cut it out and paste it in a new photo. When I do this there is still a white border around it where what was cut out used to be. Anyone know how to fix this. Other wise I will just need to take closer photos.

Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quick question. How do you crop pictures?

What editing software are you using?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Microsoft paint. It came with the computer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with that product.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Mike,
    I can swing by next week and show you, if you want.
    Ron

amfyoyo1
    Iowa

Quote:

Microsoft paint. It came with the computer.

Mike once you paste it on a new page, you need to reset the margins to get rid of the white border.
    Question. Are you downloading your pictures from a digital camera? If so, most programs have an edit function which can size/crop your pictures before saving them to paint.
    I posted “enhance your pictures” a while back. There is some info there that might be helpful.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

well.. you can always invite a professional photographer to go fishing with you.. then when you catch a big fish.. the photos are guaranteed to be great! lol
    but pros dont work for free ya know.. ya gotta have beer.. lots of beer….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any time you want to go Ken give me a call. Can it be cheap beer.

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.