Naming my construction company

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Guys I need help naming my construction company. Everything I think of is either taken or doesn’t make any sense. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I wanted to stick with a name that has something to do with hunting. So far my top pick is Drake Construction. But there are some companies with very similar names to that.

Anything helps guys. My creativity isn’t working. Thank you very much.

John Sullivan

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

Not sure about any names, but i would suggest something that near the top of the alphabet if you are planning on advertising in the yellow book. Just because often it the first name on the list gets seen more often.

Just something to consider.

big_g
    Isle, MN

what kind of construction ? where is the company headquarters ? what kind of hunting do you like ? i will try to help, with a little more info…

big g

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

BFH “sometimes it takes a big one to get the job done”

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Big Ducks Construction

I could think of a bunch of smart azz punch lines too.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

How about “Sprig Construction”. That is if you liked to duck hunt.

I could help you advertise if you wanted to sponser my softball team.

showags
    Hastings, MN

Going out on a limb with this one, but it would be in the “A”s. Alpha Buck Construction

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I second Sprig construction as well just named my new 1 year old lab that last year when I got him love the name but hate explaining to everyone who does not hunt

ggoody
    Mpls MN

John K Sully Construction.

I think having your real name makes people trust you a lot more then some hunting company name and if you do good work your real name will work out better in the long run IMO.

my 2 cents.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I agree with Pier,, Gotta have the name in there somewhere. I also agree with the alphabet advertising thought. How about “Big Drake Sullivan Construction”

And as a bonus, you’ll get a nickname out of it. Your friends will start calling you “Big Drake” Heehee.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

John K Sully Construction.

I think having your real name makes people trust you a lot more then some hunting company name and if you do good work your real name will work out better in the long run IMO.

I will respectfully disagree. Being a General Contractor myself, People who name a company after themselves seem to be those who do not want to grow, I call it the “Trunk Slammer” mentality. All they own is a vehicle, and there warranty is good right up until the Trunk Slams at the end of a job. I also think people who name a company after themselves want themselves be known (egocentric) by everyone.

If I were doing it, I would go with something that stresses quality of work.

Integrity Construction
    Superior Craftmen
    All Class Construction
    Merit Builders

Or something like that. Make it easy to remember, and back up your work.

Good Luck,

Brent

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks guys. I will be mostly doing remodeling and additions out of Savage, MN. I wanted to stick to waterfowl hunting but I might have to use my name now.

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks guys!

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

OK… I’ve gotta get this off my brain so I can get my work done.

Broadhead Construction
    Nimrod Construction
    Akita “Great Hunter” Construction
    Vital Construction
    Big Cock “you know, like pheasants” Construction
    Crosshair Construction
    Deke Construction
    JUGSAH Construction (Just Us Guys Swinging A Hammer)

Alright, I’m done… Back to the grindstone.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

I respectfully disagree with FarmBoy. If you name a company after yourself it is possible you don’t want to grow? But if you name a company after yourself wouldn’t you want good things to be said about you and your company? Just because you are a smaller company has nothing to do with quality. Usually the bigger the company the more expensive – A lot more overhead. Plus, all they do is pass you on to someone else to talk if you have a problem. These smaller contractors take more pride because they need a good reputation and rely on small jobs. We are currently building a house and I love talking to the “Actual Boss” of a company – But everyone’s different. That’s my 2 cents.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Sully Inc.

Wait, wasn’t there a movie.. Monsters Inc ?
    Popular, wasn’t it ?

John K Sully Inc ?
    Theodore Nugget Inc ?

Just go to where I used to go when I couldn’t think of a band name…

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

Type in your keyword & it’ll generate some funny stuff. Gives you ideas.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Usually the bigger the company the more expensive – A lot more overhead.

That is not the truth, as the larger the company the better pricing you will get on materials, ie Economy of Scale. I cannot buy the plumbing supplies for what my plumber can, as he buys a ton of it, and I don’t. He gets better pricing then me. And most labor costs are about the same.

Quote:

Plus, all they do is pass you on to someone else to talk if you have a problem.

If this is the case, you have worked with a less then quality contractor, or company.

With all that being said, and having my own individual biases after working in the industry for 15 years, I can honestly say I prefer larger companies. The reasons are mainly buying power, scheduling, and quality of work. Large companies do not get large by doing poor work.

But it is all personal preference. I know some people who much prefer to talk to a carpenter about a job, and others who would feel uncomfortable if the guy was not dressed in a suit.

Good Luck and as I said before, stand behind your work, even if it takes you all night, and you don’t see your family. One bad reference will offset 10 good ones.

Brent

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I just typed in Hunting and Construction

It gave me…

Sensible Hunting And Construction of the Almighty Umbrella
    Afflicted Hunting And Construction
    Bizarre Hunting And Construction
    Hunting And Construction Mojo
    Hunting And Construction of the Pebble
    Hunting And Construction Roadkill
    Hunting And Construction Urge and the Flannel
    Shaving Hunting And Construction (Shaving )
    Wise Hunting And Construction and the Panting Crutch

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your post but those are goofy. Ok, maybe I’m no help.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Archway construction.

col._klink
    St Paul

How about Stranglehold Construction? After the man and his best song!

Suckerminnow
    Stillwater, MN

How about… Weapons of Mass Construction

bigschtik
    Byron MN

NARC, Not Another Redneck Construction company…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Take your time finding a name. HomeTown Plumbing came about after about 6 months of trying to figure what to change it to. There where a couple of other names that we where about ready to pull the trigger on. Now Im glad we took the time. If you need something quick just use your name. I think there are some legal reasons with the state that make using your own name real easy also. If you pick something else it may take more work to change it down the road.

Other advice that I had when looking for a name was do not use your own name and dont not use a geographic name. One will limit the area you work in. The other will hurt you in the end if you ever decide to sell. Kinda contradicts what I just said in the 1st paragraph.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I incorparated my last name in to the business. Using you name will not affect you on how big you grow no way what so ever. Poor work and poor communication skills are probally the big ones. I can name a few co. using there names mostly last name that are quite large. Hard work, determanation and self motivation will get you a long ways. good luck in your adventure. O a little luck doesnt help either.
    I say sullivan const.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was thinking Sullivan Handy Construction….but I see that might not work.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I was thinking more on the lines of “Schuur Sullivan const” Need a partner

I did get lucky with the last name it helps things fit. Except for going through school I’ve herd them all

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m schurr you did Stick.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Of the suggestions already made, I agree with:

1) Make it a name that stands for something positive
    2) Keep it short and easy to spell
    3) Try if possible to be toward the front of the alphabet(can’t tell you how many times I’ve grabbed the yellowpages and started at the beginning)

So of all the suggestions before, I like the Alpha suggestion. Drop the buck portion. Just Alpha Construction.

ET

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

You could name it Sean, that’s what I recommend to all my friends when naming kids!!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

You could use FUBAR Inc like I do. “Where Quality is Questionable”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.