Gas Prices and fishing?

• jigs

How has the rise in gas prices affected everyones fishing the last few years. I heard this morning some analyst’s (supposed experts I am sure) think gas could go over four bucks a gallon in Minnesota this summer. I know it sure adds to a trip, but do people catch themselves not traveling as much or do most guys just bite the bullet. Just curious how every one else handles it

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

just hit 2.89 here in rochester i know we havent been going out in the boat as much. cant wait till vacation this summer when the resorts on the lake will be charging a arm and a leg for gas on the lake

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

….supposed experts I am sure…. think gas could go over four bucks a gallon in Minnesota this summer.

US Dept of Energy Website.

The supposed “Experts” at the DOE are predicting gas proces slightly lower than last summer. More good reading also if you have a chance to read up on it…..

And yes, if you google up “Summer Gas Prices” there are a ton of articles predicting $4 a gallon gas. Same deal as last spring….

Quote:

Just curious how every one else handles it

Make more money!

-J.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

We hear the gas price hype every year that its going to sky-rocket to unrealistic amounts… instead, it usually cost .20 cents more by the following winter.

As for your question of people fishing closer to home because of the gas prices? Not too many will. Most will just fill the tank as usual and go to the cabin, etc. Everyone is paying $250K-$350K for a house on average, $20K-$50K for an SUV to pull the $31K boat with a 30-50 gallon tank…. It would take something pretty drastic at the pump to stop those who have invested that much to go fishing from going fishing.

Me.. I’ll jump in my $400 mini-truck, hitch up the $6000 boat, fill my 12 gallon tank(boat) and complain about the gas price until I catch my 1st fish somewhere close to home.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For me its not gas prices thats keeping me closer to home. Its lack of income. To me it seems like gas is where is should be. Wages need to be higher.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Quote:

To me it seems like gas is where is should be. Wages need to be higher.

I hope you are joking.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the cost of living keeps going up and up, but the wages stay the same or drop. kind of hard to keep the string ends together and tied when everything in your budget keeps on getting raised and you still make the same amount of money. basically, we need to have more $$$$ from working to spend more $$$$ on the other stuff that no one really cares about other then the experts.

shane

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

$3.85 on the docks in Prescott.

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

For me it isn’t the gas prices either, it’s all the red tape in Canada. In the last 15 years all of the following has changed in Canada (2 walleyes instead of 4, no leeches, raise the license price, border crossing takes two to three times as long, DUI law, bringing a shotgun with for bear problems) etc… It just isn’t worth crossing it to fish anymore for me. We will be going to Devils Lake for the first time this summer.

eyebuster
    Duluth

The gas prices do not keep me from traveling to fish, what does that is this thing called work.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

It does affect me ! Half throttle on the way to my favorite spot instead of WOT

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After this last tournament, I can definitely tell you I will either a) Not be traveling much for fishing or b) not doing as many tournaments as I had planned.

I also know I will not be buying a bigger boat anytime soon because they use WAY too much gas. My 115 does pretty good and I can afford to fill the tank more than I could a boat with a 40 gallon tank.

We are at $2.99/gal here and I am sure it is going to be over $3 by the weekend.

I have not gotten a raise in 3 years, not even a cost of living raise But, I am doing a great job of padding everyone elses wallets

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Quote:

How has the rise in gas prices affected everyones fishing the last few years. I heard this morning some analyst’s (supposed experts I am sure) think gas could go over four bucks a gallon in Minnesota this summer. I know it sure adds to a trip, but do people catch themselves not traveling as much or do most guys just bite the bullet. Just curious how every one else handles it

Just get out the ol’ Cabelas Visa, after all credit cards are like free money, right?

birddog
    Mn.

This is the way I see it, obviously my summer plans are diferent than others but…oh, and my math suks, so bear with me.

Using $2/gal. as a “fair” price for gasoline. We’re now at $3. I’ll get nuts and use $4/gallon in this situation.

Camper at Mille, live in Montrose. We make the trip every weekend, 200 miles round trip. Boat stays at the lake so no towing besides to and from the landing. We get an honest 19.3 in our truck on the trip. Lets say 12 gallons of gas in the truck round trip. 12×4/gallon=$48 dollars, so $24 dollars extra a weekend in the truck, MAYBE an extra $10 in the boat. For the weekend, at most $34 dollars extra a weekend for gas. And this is using an inflated $4/gallon VS. $2/gallon. That’s ONE meal of burgers on the grill vs eating at the restaraunt once a weekend. That’s picking my own crawlers, seining my own minnows vs. buying at the bait shop. That’s buying my lures at the big box store vs. ma pa store. Lots of ways to off set the extra cost in fuel. And I’m using the “projected” $4/gal, not the actual $3 we’re paying now. At $3/gal VS. $2/gal. what is it, an extra $17 a weekend, say $20. That’s that case of beer so many just have to have, the few packs of stink rods. Burgers rather than porterhouse, etc, etc…

Even if it hits $4/gal, that extra $34 dollars a weekend is certainly not going to effect my plans.

I can see this effecting those that are trailering every weekend, but for us, that $20 is well worth the family time. Not even a thought. We don’t make alot of money, but certainly aren’t going to let $20 stop us from fishing for the weekend. If my math is wrong, please correct me??

BIRDDOG

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Very good point Bird Dog. If you want to go, you will find a way to go.

But you also touched on another thing. I wonder how affected the Mom & Pop shops will be when people do not travel as much? I would imagine resorts will suffer. A lot of the Leisure industries will probably take hits. All due to fuel.

jrotering
    Trempealeau, WI

I have found it cheaper to buy a flat bottom with a 25 hp 4-stroke. Instead of using my bass boat every time I go fishing. I spend way less on gas then I use too (more then enough to cover a monthly payment) and when covering new water on the river, I actually find it much faster then idling my bass boat to make sure I don’t hit anything.

birddog
    Mn.

So true. It’s unfortunate that some may have to stop shopping at the ma/pa stores to offset. I still buy from the small stores as the extra $20 isn’t going to break us. But, if the fuel cost start getting higher and higher, there will be steps we’ll have to take to offset. Yes, MANY, MANY ways to offset.

The wife made a good point after reading this thread…we chose to get into this pastime, it costs a lot of money no matter what the fuel costs are, we all know and knew that getting in. Let’s face it, it’s a expensive past time. So, if we’re already this “deep” into it, what are we going to do let the extra $20 stop us? No way.

BIRDDOG

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I stay closer to home but I miss my northwoods cabin. My 30horse will go a long time on 6 gallons. I haven’t been there in two years. I am going this year if it kills me. I am going to try to get a buddy to come along and share the expense. Please don’t call me a Commie again Dave.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No affect.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

It will affect me very little. I might need to find a person to go with me a little more to share gas for the truck but the boat will run a long time on a few gallons.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I took my neighbor out on Sunday. He insisted on topping off my 6 gallon tank. I let him.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I took my neighbor out on Sunday. He insisted on topping off my 6 gallon tank. I let him.

Do you think he is free this coming weekend
    I have a 30 gallon tank that needs to be topped off

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Gas Prices are definitely going to shut down my Golfing completely. That should save me about $000.00 this year

Ohh you asked fishing. I will do what I have to Maybe I will stop eating, that should save some money

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

YEA Fishing before eating, that is my new moto, creed, my new creeto

I am fish’n and that is that

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I do side work [painting] to pay for my fishing and hunting. I’ll just have to work a little harder.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.