fuel seperators

• fishenguy_61

so a while back i saw a post about these. Being a novice any hints on mounting, vertical, horizontal, and to be frank the
    need? I’ve been running a 4 stoke yammi since 99 with no issues. thanks..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They are recommended for fuel injection but all motors should have one. You never know whats in the gas your buying. Yamaha states in the owners manual that any tainted gas with water that causes injector failure is NOT covered by warranty.

There are two sizes, the Mini for motors 115 HP and under and the larger for over 115hp.

Mounting and installation is simple. Yamaha recommends not mounting in direct sunlight due to possible vapor lock. But I don’t feel comfortable mounting in a concealed location. Ive never experienced the vapor lock issue. Instructions are included with the unit. The Mini costs $35

shane huskey
    holmen wi

if you run the mid grad fuel with the grain in it then i dont think you will not need it. also you need to keep your tank 3/4 full to keep condinsation to a minimum. but if you still feel that it is a must, mounting instructions per manufacturer should come with each unit.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I think they are a good investment for any boat, a Cheaper model like the one posted above won’t set you back more than $30 or so (not to rag on you by any means ). Currently I have a sierra one myself, but I’m hoping to fit a racor filter element on it. Racor makes some really nice models, I like the ones that have a clear bowl at the bottom so you could actually see if water or anything is in the gas. A racor one will set you back around $100. Mine is install under the deck on my boat, I suppose it all depends on your boat, mine is a PITA to get at. Most people reccomend a 10 micron filter.

I’d be less worried about a boat with a tank that isn’t built in, I’m just a little concerned about my 37 gallon tank and the water it could get in and hold. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Nick, I had the filter with the bowl on it for my 150. Its amazing to see how much actual water is being collected.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

After installation of one of these units do you notice any difference in performance? Fuel ecconomy or smoother running.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

How often do these need to be replaced?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I haven’t noticed any differences at all, that being said I probably have only used 20 gals or so of gas this year since I got mine installed, the mechanic told me to watch a little filter on my motor that I can see, just incase I saw it getting sucked in, that would tell me the filter is getting plugged, though I suspect through normal maintence that won’t happen, but it was good to know.

I want to say the filter chage was either once a year or every 100 hours, which ever came first. Especially if you have one where there isn’t a clear bowl at the bottom.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You wont notice any improvement in performance.

Replace the filter after initial 10 hours following new installation. Then every 6 months or 50 hours. Filter is $15.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had one in my 98 since day one. The dealership insisted. On top of possbible water contamination it is an outstanding fuel filter.

fishenguy_61

well thanks for all the help and the pictures. i bought the mini today and will install soon.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I went to our local Yamaha dealer yesterday and the “replacement” filter for the mini was $53!!

Hey Derek, maybe you can start a biz running fuel seperator filters to southern MN

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Wow, that is high..

Hannays in Mpls has them for $11.50. And they ship..

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

derek, does the yammie mini come with all the fittings and plugs needed to complete the job?.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

It “should” have all the parts you need. You may need a nipples/plugs maybe some sealant for the fittings.

I had to bump this cause I took some pics of mine installed tonight. I got a racor Filter element I want to put on when I find the time. Hopefully it’ll fit.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

derek, does the yammie mini come with all the fittings and plugs needed to complete the job?.

It comes with the plugs. You will need two hose fittings,Teflon thread compound and two hose clamps. The dealer should have the hose fittings.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.