Rain Suits again…….

• ncarlson203

I’m sure this has been discussed hundreds of times, but I can’t seem to find the archive deal so, anyway which rain suit do you prefer and why? Also do you guys think it makes sense to have 2 suits, one lightweight breathable for warm temps and another hardcore goretex insulated suit for cold weather? Just looking for opinions Thanks!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well seeing how I didn’t have a ton of money to spend on wet weather gear, I went to walmart and baught thier FLW suit, bibs and jacket was like $50 or a little more. then I also went and got a light weight pair for the warm days, i wear the FLW ones on cold mornings and also cold rains, blocks the wind really well. the light weight ones are for warm days and warm rains. also nice to have 2 sets in the boat incase someone comes along with you and they didn’t bring a set.

shane

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Stearns should have their new gear out this summer (to replace the “walleye hunter” line). My buddy has an in at Stearns and we “tested” it last summer, it was perfect, we fished over 300 hrs in all weather conditions and it did all that I would have expected it to. Also it’s the best of both worlds with a zip out liner for those warm days. I think it’ll run about $150 for parka and bibs. Adam

birddog
    Mn.

That FLW gear is nice stuff for the price! My bud has a set, been out in some good rains together, he stays as warm, dry and comfortable in that stuff as I do in my much more expensive guide wear!! Question is, will it stand the test of time…so far for my friend, it’s been good! I was looking at the local wally world for a set the other day, my dad needs some rain gear…badly! Couldn’t find any? Do they still sell it?

BIRDDOG

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have 3 different suits that I have collected over the years. I have a Columbia quad parka/jacket & bibs for real cold weather. The second one I have is a set of Frog Toggs for the warm weather they are very breathable and keep me very dry I have been in more than one down pour with them and they work great they also make a great wind breaker. The newest pair I have is a Game hide Jacket and bibs and they work good for spring and fall weather but will also work good for cold weather if you use layers.

jldii

Bite down real hard on the bullet and get the Cabela’s Guidewear. It is a financial hit, but well worth the money in the long run. I’m on my 3rd suit now, and all for the cost of my original suit. They are super dry, and when the time comes that they start to allow any wettness in, you go in to Cabela’s, and they exchange it for a new suit, at NO COST!!! They really do mean “life time” gaurantee.

You can spend less today on something else, but in time, you will spend more replacing it with something else. Buy the Guidewear one time, and never spend any more money on rain gear again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For insulated, I would have to agree with the Guidewear…for uninsulated…it’s going to be hard to beat the Gamehide Stormhide….for price alone and not considering quality, durability and comfort…look to the other brands.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Here it is black and white. I have owned both the guide wear and now the gamehide. I am not sponsored by anyone nor affillated with any company. I have owned gamehide for 3 years now and I couldn’t be happier. I use it for everything. Openwater fishing, ice fishing and snowmobiling. This stuff is super durable, comfortable, warm, and most imporantly breathable! Even more imporantly the service is out of this world. This winter I had a button come undone and they sent me a whole new jacket! No questions asked just an appolgy and here’s your new jacket.
    It cost a little extra but well worth it in my unbiased opinion.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well I have had my flw stuff for going on its 4th season. I have snomobiled in it for 2 season, not much snow this last year, never got the sled started. anyway, the stuff still sheds water and still cuts the wind. I had it out on a cold december day when I was fishing saugers with Don Hanson. i like it!! it was my best buy for my buck.

I will look up here in blaine’s wally world. i will see what they have, last time I was there, they still had like 5 or 6 suits on the rack.

shane

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

The second one I have is a set of Frog Toggs for the warm weather they are very breathable and keep me very dry I have been in more than one down pour with them and they work great they also make a great wind breaker.

Steve, I have a set of Frogg Toggs as well, but they aren’t the lightweight paper type. Been happy with them, but I only started using them this fall. Considering the paper type ones for this summer, do you have these?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have the Cabelas Guidewear Parka and both the insulated and uninsulated bibs. They are fanastic. I have fished in 8 hour hard rain days and still been dry and warm. I also have Gander Mountains H2O Parka and bibs which are uninsulated and like them. I also have Frogg Toggs for hot weather. If I didn’t have all of those I would of bought the Game Hide too as I have heard great things about them. In this part of the country a guy needs a very good rainsuit that is rain and wind proof for sure. It is a very important item that a fisherman must have. It makes the day on the water in lousy weather go much better. Well worth the investment for sure.
    Thanks, Bill

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Considering the paper type ones for this summer, do you have these?

Yes that is what I have, I got them a few years ago at the sports show from Joes Sporting Goods.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The Gander Guider Series is good stuff too.

-J.

fishing vet
    Blaine, MN

I have been debating for years if I could afford a good set of rain gear ($200-$400). Last year I bit the bullet and bought Cabellas guide series uninsulated but big enough that I could wear long jons under it. That was the best investment that I have made for fishing in years. I bet I used it mote than 10 times last year and do not know what I would have done without it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I bought a low end Goretex rain suit from Cabelas and used it for 3-4 years. Then I bought Guidewear so now I have both and love both. The Guidewear is stouter so I used that in colder weather generally. The other one is super lightweight so it gets used lots too.

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

A woman simply cannot have too much jewelry and a sportsman simply cannot have too many rain suits! For fishing–warm day with warm rain Frogg Toggs are superb. Cabela’s uninsulated Guidewear with shorts and a t-shirt underneath is doable. Fishing on a cold and rainy morning – can’t beat the unisulated Guidewear for layering. As the day warms layers can be shed. Fishing when it will be cold and rainy all day — (I don’t have the insulated Guidewear which would be perfect, but Columbia Goretex insulated camo bibs work well–so do my Goretex insulated Blaze orange bibs.) For duck hunting from a blind in freezing cold weather with rain and sleet — Cabela’s Guidewear does NOT come in camo! For deer hunting in rain and sleet — Guidewear does not come in blaze orange.

It seems like people who not only fish, but also engage in duck hunting and deer hunting will need multiple rain gear outfits.

Generally, I like the flexibility I get from dressing in layers. If duck hunting involves both paddling a canoe and sitting still, layers are critical. Likewise, walking a couple miles into a deer stand makes dressing in layers critical. All said, you probably need to do a careful inventory of the types of activities in which you will be engaging. That will give you a better idea of what you will need. If your activities are fishing only, then I think the UNINSULATED Guidewear is great option!

JF

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Nate, I am going to have a light weight one and still have my good heavy weight one this year. I hate putting on that heavy duty one in the summer. No more. I’ve had the Guide Series stuff for quite awhile. It leaks now but I guess if you can get free replacement than who cares. Mind you, its probably 4-6 years old.

shaley
    Milford IA

I got a set of Game Hide last year and LOVE it. Mines the storm hide not the typhoon series but has kept me dry and doubles as a good ice fishing suit. Layer under it and it keeps me nice and warm.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.