Canadian Lodge Question

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Was at the sportshow last night and looking at all the resorts – outposts for fishing/hunting. How do you pick one from another?

Anyway, ran into one that my buddy and I thought would be interesting. Called Temple Bay Lodge. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad with this place? They pick you up in a bus in Mpls and other points, drive you up there, 120 miles north of IFalls, you fish 2.5-3 days and ride back. Price was reasonable so we are considering it.

Anyone have experience with this outfit? Hidden costs? Fishing not as good as brochures look? Accomodations? etc.

Thanks,

Eric

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Many questions to ask here.

What do you want?
    Are you looking for
    1) quality of fish?
    2) quantitiy of fish?
    3) American plan?
    4) full service lodge?
    5) guides?
    6) your boat/lodge boat?
    7) a buddy trip or family trip?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Its on Eagle Lake, great lake to fish for walleye and muskie!!! I have fished this lake, and have seen Temple Bay boats running around all over, so by the looks of things they are trying to put you on fish!!!
    Sounds like a good deal, plus you don’t have to drive! Especially driving 502 to Dryden, can be tough on a guy, truck, and boat!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Good questions Gary! What I’m looking for is do people that have gone before, found they’ve received a reasonable value for the price. For what they are charging, I would not expect to be in the lap of luxury, but would want to have the basic amenities such as a clean room and bed, running hot water for showers, etc. Guys weekend most likely! Also, for the price, I’m leary that there may be additional charges. Is a guide necessary? Are the boats you rent reasonable? You get three meals a day, were the meals ok? Again, doesn’t have to be 5 star dining, just solid decent food.

What’s the area like, beautiful country or not that great? In terms of fishing I’d take either quality or quantity. How helpful is the resort if you don’t hire a guide, etc.

Many questions but just looking for overall thoughts and opinions on this place.

Eric

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Cougar- I have been there twice (around 10 years ago) before the kids were born. The place was fantastic. We too took the bus from the Falls. I lived in Duluth at the time. The owners at the time were wonderful and if they still own the place, go for it. The fishing was exceptional for walleyes. The owners were also very willing to put you on the fish. Just curious, what are they charging with the bus ride from the Cities. Good Luck.

John

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What is your budget range?

mnfan
    Rochester MN

Cougareye – could you post any contact info, or PM. I’m looking for a place to go this summer too – sounds interesting.

Thank you in advance!

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

Just got back form ice fishing on Eagle Lake last night. I have never stayed at temple bay. But the fishing on Eagle is usally perty good. I would defenetly go with a giude if it is your fist time up, and do not for get to take a gps. if you go out on your own it is a essay like to get ternd around on. If you take your own boat up their there are a tone of other lake not fare away you can go on if the fishing doesn’t pan out on Eagle.

standaniel
    Bloomington

Took the bus up to Temple Bay from Minneapolis a few years ago. Great owners, great food, [no, better than that, the food was excellent], great cabin, great service, great docking, great boats and motors, great dock boys, LOUSY fishing.
    I think we were there at the end of May. The walleyes were scattered. The guides were running their parties with 75 h.p. engines for about an hour to get to the fish.
    If you go, think about driving yourself and saving the bus fee. Riding the bus with all the stops was not as cool as it sounds. Better to plan your own stops.
    Don’t forget your passport! There is a 10 week waiting period now.

Swede

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Very curious where we can find pricing info as well. I’ve long wanted to fish Eagle Lake as I have heard good things. Any website we can look at?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for all the responses. The website is http://www.templebay.com and the rate posted at the sportshow if for just under $500 for “Extra Value Trips”. Regular trips vary widely based on what else you package up into a trip. For $500 you get 3 nights lodging, 3 meals a day, fish processing, 17.5’boats and 40 hp motors. All gas for boat included.

Eric

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

….that also includes a bus ride to/from Minneapolis.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

Eric,
    I have been fishing Eagle lake for the better part of 25 years. Temple Bay lodge is located in a Prime Location on Eagle Lake, especially for Spring Walleye. They do have a beautifull lodge and top notch accomodations although there are a few drawbacks to staying there. It is not my intention to bad rap any business, especially on a public forum. I recomend that you look into North Shore Lodge. It is with out a doubt, a classy operation with Excellent customer service. http://www.northshorelodgeontario.com
    I will PM you with the reasons that I believe you should avoid Temple Bay Lodge.

Danny

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I can’t speak to Temple Bay Lodge, but if you want to go to Eagle our group was very impressed with the service and accomodations at Cedar Point Lodge. http://www.cedarpointlodge.com. I have been to Eagle only twice and caught enough walleyes to keep it interesting, but if you want to catch lots of fish there are better places. If you want a chance at a huge muskie it is one of the best. If you plan on renting boats be sure to check out exactly what you are getting, there would be nothing worse than spending a week in an inadequate boat on big water. Good Luck!

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

North Shore lodge Provides 18′ foot Lund Alaskan with 40hp Honda motors. The boats are included in the price of the package along with bait, food etc.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

Chrossa,

Were you ICE fishing? How did you do?

bigpike

You do not need a passport this year if you drive and you might not need one next year depending on what the goverment decides to do, they are looking at new style ID for border crossing, just an FYI for the comment on needing a passport….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.