tieing a leader line to super line

• bluegill
    Byron, minnesota.

what do most of you guys use for connecting the two lines. Just a swivel or a specialty knot. If a swivel how long of a leader will you tie on.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A Uni Knot. It is a line to line knot.

eyebuster
    Duluth

I use a small swivel and depending on water clarity I will use 12-18 inches on the river and up to 5 feet on real clear lakes

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks Ron, I was looking for that link too..
    You would make a loop out of one line, and run the other through it like it was the loop of a hook. Snug it up, but do not tighten all the way until you do the same with the other line. Then tighten the two at the same time.

fishing vet
    Blaine, MN

A small swivel works great until the first time you or someone else reels it up to far and cracks or breaks out one of your line guides. If you are doing a carolina rig or a lindy rig it is ok cause you have the sinker there to remind you, but without that reminder one mistake can ruine your day.

A uni to uni is fast and easy on the water and there are many tournament anglers using that setup, so you know that the knot stregnth is pretty good. Mabyee not the best.

I will run a 6′-8′ leader many times on really clear lakes so that the fish can’t see my main line and also it allows me to retie my lures without having to put on a new leader all of the time.

Try different things and see what works for you.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Surprisingly, I was shown by Gary Parsons and Keith Kavajecz how they use a figure of eight knot to tie leaders on to Fireline. Works great for me and is simpler and faster to tie. Give it a try and I think you’ll find it works very well.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

blood knot works awesome with fireline or power pro. three foot flourocarbon leader cant even tell knot is there.

bdlucas

blood knots are incredible. I use 6lb fireline and 8 lb vanish in the rivers, and I have never had the line break at the knot.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Surprisingly, I was shown by Gary Parsons and Keith Kavajecz how they use a figure of eight knot to tie leaders on to Fireline. Works great for me and is simpler and faster to tie. Give it a try and I think you’ll find it works very well.

Bob;
    Do you have a diagram how this knot works?

centralmneyeguy
    Becker, MN

I also use the blood knot and have not had any problems with line breaks at the knot.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

what do most of you guys use for connecting the two lines.

Double Uni Knot.

Double Uni Knot

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.