How crazy will it be?

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

A couple buddies and I are hoping to head to Pool 4 at Red Wing this Saturday…How nuts will it be when it comes to the number of other boats? I don’t mind fishing where other folks are, but it would be nice to get away somewhat. Normally we try to go during the week, but it’s not going to happen this time.

Are there options to find both fish and space on a weekend?

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

with the weather forecast what it is, I’m sure the water will be quite crowded. I’m looking to head down there myself on Saturday. Hey Dean, are the ramps open? Any ice to worry about?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ll be up there with a couple buddies from Thursday until Sunday. If it is anything like years past, it will be a zoo.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I was there last Friday and there was anywhere from 30 to 50 boats between the Y and the dam. It was a weekday and the bite hasn’t really turned on yet imho. This Saturday could be the day and it will be crazy!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

So what if it is a zoo?

Fish are to be and can be caught everywhere! Just got to give them what they want.

Don’t let the pressure bother you. Just give the fish what they want to eat!

UMDWalleyeGuy
    Duluth,MN

Was out of everts on saturday, got there early so the crowd wasn’t a problem. It turned out to be a beautiful day on the water. I would say probably 100 boats from the vermillion on up to the dam. We didn’t do well but you can’t beat a day in the sunshine after a 6 month absence from the boat. Good luck.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Oh I don’t have a problem fishing with plenty of company…it beats the heck out of work any day. Besides, I’ve got some new equipment that needs to be put through its paces…what better place than on the water!

2Fishy4U

There are options, but I suspect Pool 4 will produce a bit more. Neither the Alma Dam or Whitman are as crowded, and Whitman has done well for me in the spring.

When it comes to fishing I just prefer not being part of the 100 plus boats at Pool 4.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Hey Dean, are the ramps open? Any ice to worry about?

You guy’s should know by now….THE RAMPS ARE ALWAYS OPEN!!!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Dean, are the ramps open? Any ice to worry about?

You guy’s should know by now….THE RAMPS ARE ALWAYS OPEN!!!

You should know by now…. THAT WAS A JOKE!

redneck
    Rosemount

This time of year it may be crazy down there but in a good way. Anytime you hit the water with a chance at sticking numerous big walleyes in a day, then thats crazy. There will be alot of boats but most of the time eveyone plays well together and there are always quiet areas if you want to sneak away. Come May when I pull up by the dam fishing memories and I am the only one there then that is crazy. Enjoy this time of year because by the middle of April this bite will be over and we’ll all be searching for the next hot spot–but right now we know where it is. And everyone, please be extra nice to Dean. He is running about 26 hours a day this time of year!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I would expect big crowds guys….but you never know for sure.Without a doubt the bite has been slow for the majority as of late.There are plenty of folks waiting to come out when the easy bite starts.

I for one can appreciate those who like to avoid the crowds on weekends…..the week days are always less traffic.But for those who can only get out during the weekend,there is nothing that says you HAVE to fish at the damn! There is a bunch of water to explore downriver…you might be glad you did!
    Good luck everyone!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.