Left Behind Again

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, I got to fume somewhere…. might as well be here.

Just a little background info… about 2 years ago, I started a computer scripting program and process at my company to automate quite a few day to day job functions that hunderds do here daily. I created all the programs from scratch, created my job that I was promoted to, as well as created the bandwidth to hire on 3 other people to help me. I did this work part/full time for the first year I was programming (been with the company 5 years before that), then was promoted to do it on a full time basis. This scripting saved the company more than $1 million last year. We have commitments to save more than $3 million this year. To say the least, the upper eschleon of management KNOW about my scripting programs.

Well, I just got the news. Although I started it, I programmed it, and I made it all happen… my boss was just given a “circle of excellence” award by the VPs and is going on an all expense paid trip to a little island off the coast of Florida for a week of being wined and dined with other award winners.

I am so sick right now I could just blow up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

So he got the award because he was so smart to hire and promote you ???!!! Either way, it is a feather in your cap, I would say.

big g

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Did you copywrite or patent this idea?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Corporate America at it’s finest.. I had a similar situation at my last job. Top of the food chain will always prevail.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Welcome to corporate America!

Been there….done that.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

No, I was doing this work before he “hired” me… actually, when I started the scripting… he wasn’t even in the picture. the upper managment had to promote me to “management” from union to do this work… and decided the best place for this work was in a process group… So, they put me under this guy. Don’t get me wrong… I like my boss. he didn’t pull one over on me. It is just how it all worked out. He didn’t have much to do with it other than to promote it to others as I did.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

At a large corporation such as this… you cannot copyright or patent ideas that you do for a living… your employer usually has rights to this (if you read your code of conduct rules or hiring packets… most will say this).

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to the corporate world. This happens everywhere, at every level. Even at entry level jobs.

A good manager will always surround themselves with the best people possible. He can suck at his job, but as long as his staff is good, it doesn’t matter.

It sucks, but just the way it is.

LundExplorer

Sorry to hear about your experience, I’ve been there too.

On the bright side use your accomplishments as leverage. You made your boss look good, that is a big part of your job. Document your accomplishments, the impact it has had on the business, and find the right opportunity to present it to him whether its review time or not. Remind him of how you made him look good, don’t let yourself get walked on. Just use a professional but firm approach.

And, I agree, welcome to the corporate rat race. One of my favorites is:

The corporate world is like a tree of monkeys – those at the top look down and see smiling faces. Those at the bottom look up and see azzes.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

At a large corporation such as this… you cannot copyright or patent ideas that you do for a living… your employer usually has rights to this (if you read your code of conduct rules or hiring packets… most will say this).

I think every corporation uses that same handbook.. We even had videos we had to watch on our PC.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’ve always heard this corporate ladder a little different. “Chit rolls down hill, and I am standing at the bottom, with my mouth wide open !!!” author “unknown” (could have been anyone)

big g

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Man, this is way to familiar to me. I write scripts for our Export, Import , Customs, Brokerage and other departments. My company estimates savings in the thousands to millions of dollars anually as well.

My very first script saved one manager 4 hours per day. After telling me several times how much money and time these scripts save the company, I was rewarded how? By being micromanaged of course. Now I have to fill out 3 sheets every week documenting what I’m working on and how long each thing takes. I get about 30 phone calls a week from branches all over the world, I have to write down that so and so from Charleston called me with a Microsoft Access question that took 3 minutes, and that so and so called from Paris wanting to know how to run a script (that took 10 minutes).

They claim this is to help distribute my time and use me where I’ll be most valuable. I guess spending 3-5 hours per week filling out spreadsheets saying what I’m doing is much more valuable then actually doing work. It seems like the more “valuable” you become, the more red tape you’ll have to deal with. One of my managers bought me lunch one day and proceeded to tell me how these scripts were going to put his kids through college. Thanks for the $3.49 sandwhich buddy. I’m glad to see that your bonus program is doing well.

This is the curse of the idea guys. Stick to it and make sure that the right people know what you’re doing and how hard you work at it. It should all balance out in the end.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Yup, 60 hour weeks, standing on our head trying to pass Mil-Standard Qualification tests, working our butts off. And what do you know, we did it! The is was in the fall of 1991. We didn’t even get a “thank you” and the boss got tickets to go the Twins World Series game. He even had the ‘nads to tell us how great it was that he got to go.

I always wondered if he was seeing dead relatives and tunnels of light at the time, because whether he knew it or not he was having a “near death” experience

In 2002 I quit working for corporate America and took a lower paying job driving a fork lift. Best move I ever made…

Rootski

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Dave~
    Don’t worry about it when something goes wrong you will be recognized at that time. Alot of great recognition is given to the wrong people and with great gifts, but when the problems rise that is when you will recieve your recognition with disciplinary actions..
    When they come to you with a problem or a question direct them to your boss and let him try and earn his recoginition and trip at that time..
    Sorry to hear you got overlooked for your creation..

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

To put a perspective on it, management is regarded as leadership. No matter how it all comes together, it’s the “leadership” that gets recognized.

Now, if you’ve got a REALLY good leader, he’s going to mention that he didn’t get there alone and couldn’t have done it without the talents of his team members. If he’s WORTHY of his leadership, he’ll actually pursue a “is this possible” type avenue to see if there is anything he can do for you specifically.

In many cases, this can’t happen because it causes everyone else to whine about their 2% contribution, even if yours is 75% of the whole. To keep up morale, they weigh 10 happy people vs. one unhappy person and side with the majority. If you do not see this their way, you have a bad attitude. Therefore, TACT is absolutely critical. You “cannot tear the rice paper while walking towards the pebble.” (Kung Fu reference for those who aren’t as old as I am)

The advice to document all you do is very good and should be exercised. Make it a habit because one day, the door may open and you will want to have the preparation that demonstrates your worthiness. It may even make the difference one day regarding who stays, and who goes. CYA=CYB=Cover Your Butt. Chances are that the only person interested in looking out for you, is yourself. But the key to your rise in true leadership will also balance the amount of interest you show in the success of others (namely, the boss man). When you become the boss man, a new balance must exist. You depend on the talents below you so this interest must diversify and blend the successes of both those above you and those below you. Do this well, and you may find yourself getting a “business vacation” as well.

Take time to read leadership books/methods/principles and objectively mentor with someone who IS where you want to be. And don’t let it overtake your family life. This balance is difficult and very few achieve it…… but it has the highest level of personal satisfaction, no matter the level you achieve.

Good luck and do not be discouraged. You CAN rise above this but only a positive attitude will get you the chance. Negativity is a discourager great enough to alter confidence in both yourself, and others around you.

Embrace the truth, smile, pat yourself on the back, treat yourself with a nice dinner or activity, kiss the wife, hug the kids, and move on.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

In 2002 I quit working for corporate America and took a lower paying job driving a fork lift. Best move I ever made…

Rootski

In 2004, I did the same. Needed to find a new direction and while I’ve “Pinballed” a bit, I believe I’m on my way again.

In ’04, I thought I’d left Corp. America for good but I’ve come to realize I’m going to have to deal with them again someday, on some level, most likely, I guess. (Had to add a touch of Red Green there….)

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dont forget that your boss comes here too. SO GET BACK TO WORK YOU LAZY BUM BEFORE I REPLACE YOU WITH A WALMART LEAD SELLING EMPLOYEE FOR 1/2 THE MONEY!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Stillakid…

My boss is a great boss. In fact… as you said, he should give credit where credit is due… when the communication came down through the entire org, he replied to all and gave credit where credit was properly due. I have to give him kudos for that. I am in no way upset with my boss. He has done everything he can to make sure that those that do the work, get the recognition. But since he is “leadership”… he gets the credit for the overall workings.

To be perfectly honest, the work I do is only a small fraction of what my boss is responsible for. I firmly believe that he would have deserved the award for everything ELSE he does. It just got to me since this entire project was my baby…

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I learned a very long time ago that my primary job is to make my boss look good. It took me quite a long time to accept that though. I now accept it, and it’s worked out in the long run.

Congratulations on a job well done!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Dave! I’m glad your here venting about your supervisor accomplishments!

You could have been part of the last down sizing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hey wait a minute… I just put 2 and 2 together. Didn’t I read a post, something about Dave working under Briank ???

big g

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Hey Dave! I’m glad your here venting about your supervisor accomplishments!

You could have been part of the last down sizing.

Yeah.. that woulda been horrible… I may have had to give up all hope of finding a real job and become a cat guide

Just kidding Brian. yeah, you kinda put it in perpective. But still… a trip to florida. And this trip is one where they REALLY spoil you… massages, facials, pedi and mani – cures… gifts in your room everytime you return. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hired Emirl (?sp) to cook your meals.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just for clarification…Dave works with me.

Oh please Dave…tell me you would like that stuff any way?

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Oh please Dave…tell me you would like that stuff any way?

Nope… but I coulda gone fishing out in the ocean instead…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think you’ll find a good kick in the boss’s pants will make you feel much better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.