toyota buys shares of isuzu

• honda75
    Iowa

Is what i was told by a toyota rep at the chicago auto show. He said that toyota will be probably using an isuzu diesel in their trucks soon. OH NO what will chevy do since they can’t make their own engines?????? THey already have isuzu making their durachoke but if yota gets that what are they going back to their joke of a diesel the 6.5???????? HA HA If it only had half the power of the 7.3. I also looked at the new yota so called truck. NOT it is a glorifed car with 4wd. the frame is super light duty and so is the suspension. I asked the rep if I coudl take it to the farm and pull grain wagons like I do with my super duty and he said toyota would never allow it because it isn’t in their controled enviroment. I will never see one of those trucks pull two 500 bushel brent wagons full of corn down the highway like my f250 does. those two wagons loaded are over 80000 pounds.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Oh c’mon, I seen the commercials with the Toyota trucks pulling stock trailers full of cows They can also pull hay wagons and any other jobs on the farm

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I love Ford too, but they don’t even make their own diesels. Neither does Dodge.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

I love Ford too, but they don’t even make their own diesels. Neither does Dodge.

True but ford and dodge engines are both made in the us. By union employees something isuzu along with toyota does not have building thier vehicles.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Do union employees make honda’s
    Sorry I could not help myself

Quote:

Quote:

True but ford and dodge engines are both made in the us. By union employees something isuzu along with toyota does not have building thier vehicles.

jtimm
    Mora,MN

Comparing your 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton? That Toyota 1/2 ton will outdo all the other 1/2 tons, and get better mileage.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

That is funny Steve!

Actually, I have a buddy who took a Duramax and pushed 900hp and 1100ftlbs of torque with it.

It is street legal!

Has several thousand miles on the motor and it is strong and durable.

It is in a 1-ton 4×4 with 38″ tires and does low-11 seconds in the quarter mile.

With that said, I quite impressed with the duramax!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

THey already have isuzu making their durachoke but if yota gets that what are they going back to their joke of a diesel the 6.5???????? HA HA If it only had half the power of the 7.3.

Was this the 6.5 the one made by Union workers here?
    I guess I am not seeing your point.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

That is funny Steve!

Actually, I have a buddy who took a Duramax and pushed 900hp and 1100ftlbs of torque with it.

It is street legal!

Has several thousand miles on the motor and it is strong and durable.

It is in a 1-ton 4×4 with 38″ tires and does low-11 seconds in the quarter mile.

With that said, I quite impressed with the duramax!

my brother has a 7.3 powerstroke and had it put on the dyno. It is chipped programmed, exhaust, bigger turbo it was 504 horse and 984 ft. lbs of torque. That was last year since then he has put lp/water injection on it and going to put bigger injectors as well. All street legal on the highway still gets 18mpg.

My point to this thread is what is chevy going to do for a diesel when toyota ends up taking away their diesel maker because toyota will own isuzu??????

PS stats on 1/2 tons on paper all look good when i asked the toyota rep to put the truck on the track against all the other half tons pulling a sled down the track he said toyota would not do that. I asked why not it shows the true full amount of torque the truck has and he said that the yota wouldn’t handle it on the frame. I just laughed in his face.

He also said the new toyota truck pulling a 16 foot boat will only get about 12 miles a gallon and no more than 15mpg on the highway just cruising. Sounds like a joke to me.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

The duramax is made in Moraine, Ohio DMAX LTD. by 700 International Union of Electrical Workers (IUE). Isuzu Motors Ltd. is responsible for design and engineering of the all-new product.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

My point to this thread is what is chevy going to do for a diesel when toyota ends up taking away their diesel maker because toyota will own isuzu?

I believe GM still owns Isuzu. So I don’t think they are going to let it get away. Also some of the GM cars are the same platform as Toyota but cost less. There is some type of partnership going on there.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I also thought GM still owns Isuzu.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just to clear things up, none of the so called Manufacturers, “MAKE” anything anymore. They assemble products from many components, made by thousands of others and put them in their dealerships. I bet Cummings doesn’t even cast the blocks of their engines !!! or make the pistons or the wire sets or etc etc etc…

big g

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I think the reason people will compare domestic 3/4 tonners to Toys 1/2 ton is becuase the Toy is way out of the domestics price range! I can buy a domestic 3/4 ton diesel for what a loaded 1/2 ton Toy costs. And if people think Toy is going have more power AND better fuel economy well, ain’t no one else ever done such a thing so I have no reason to believe Toy will. It take fuel to make power!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Toyota with a 5.7 litre is epa est 14/18, right in line with Dodge Ram with the 5.7 Hemi, also epa est 14/18. Now if you compare in the same price ranges, the 3/4 Ton Ram with the Cummings Diesel, will tow the 1/2 Ton Toyota all over, and get 17/20 mpg while doing it !!!

big g

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

if people think Toy is going have more power AND better fuel economy well, ain’t no one else ever done such a thing so I have no reason to believe Toy will. It take fuel to make power!

I hope nobody here is buying a truck because of fuel economy. You buy a truck based on hauling and towing needs, not fuel milage. If you want fuel milage, buy a car.

Let me clarify one more thing. There are only three truck manufacturers out there. GM, Ford, and Mopar. Whether its foreign or domestic, they all can and will break.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Honda, glad to see you recovered O.K. from the Indy beating.

My advice (keep in mind I don’t have Bears blood in my veins, so I can’t possibly know what I’m talking about) is to stay with your Ford. I’m sure GM will be thrilled to know you have no interest in their product.

What’s next on your list of rants? Motherhood?

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Quote:

I hope nobody here is buying a truck because of fuel economy. You buy a truck based on hauling and towing needs, not fuel milage. If you want fuel milage, buy a car.

I beg to differ. No offense but ask companies that own fleets of vehicles just how much a few pennies per gallon increase in fuel will cost them. For larger companies a few pennies per gallon can mean tens of thousands of dollars in added expense in a years time. With fuel prices what they are these days I can’t find many people buying anything with complete disregard to cost of operation. Just my 2 cents.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I beg to differ. No offense but ask companies that own fleets of vehicles just how much a few pennies per gallon increase in fuel will cost them. For larger companies a few pennies per gallon can mean tens of thousands of dollars in added expense in a years time. With fuel prices what they are these days I can’t find many people buying anything with complete disregard to cost of operation. Just my 2 cents.

That is spot on for the company I work for. Fuel economy and saving fuel was a big factor last year and will continue this year. There were quite a few jobs where we left trucks at the shop and only took the bare necessities on one big truck. When you run quite a few vehicles and a couple bobcats everyday, you notice the fuel bills

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

ask companies that own fleets of vehicles just how much a few pennies per gallon increase in fuel will cost them. For larger companies a few pennies per gallon can mean tens of thousands of dollars in added expense

You are correct and your points are valid. I meant my answer to be directed towards a general consumer.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

My point to this thread is what is chevy going to do for a diesel when toyota ends up taking away their diesel maker because toyota will own isuzu?

I believe GM still owns Isuzu. So I don’t think they are going to let it get away. Also some of the GM cars are the same platform as Toyota but cost less. There is some type of partnership going on there.

Actually last i looked gm only owned 30 percent of isuzu so technically they don’t own them. I am just curious how much toyota bought of isuzu.

Hands down toyota will never build a true TRUCK that is jus the way it is. You will never see it pulling the grain wagons down the road like I do with the f250 or even the ol trusty inline 6 cylinder f150. I am telling you after looking and the frame and everything else of the toyota it is not a true truck. The only reason they are getting that much torque out of the engine is because of the 6 speed tranny. First two gears are super low if you did that to a gm or ford engine it would boost the torque of the engine as well.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

I will never see one of those trucks pull two 500 bushel brent wagons full of corn down the highway like my f250 does. those two wagons loaded are over 80000 pounds.

80000lbs…..Holy cow!!!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

The only reason they are getting that much torque out of the engine is because of the 6 speed tranny. First two gears are super low if you did that to a gm or ford engine it would boost the torque of the engine as well.

Honda;
    Not picking on you by any means. Just wanted to clarify. Having a different gearing ratio in a transmission or rear-end doesn’t give a motor more torque. Torque is generated by the motor.

Trucks have had “grany-gears” for years……just for that purpose, for pulling.

Cal;
    Corn is about 52lbs to the bushel, therefore 2, 500 bushel wagons will weigh 52,000lbs. The wagon itself weighs maybe 1000lbs.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

The only reason they are getting that much torque out of the engine is because of the 6 speed tranny. First two gears are super low if you did that to a gm or ford engine it would boost the torque of the engine as well.

I have an Allison automatic transmission in my truck. Its a five speed, the current ones are at six. First gear is so low, its difficult to get the truck moving without spinning the tires when the pavement is wet or snowy. In addition, GM is out with a new six speed transmission for other trucks as well. I can’t say how good the transmission is, I’m just happy to still have the Allison.

I think what Honda75 is saying that the torque would be more beneficial if the first and second gears were lower.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually last i looked gm only owned 30 percent of isuzu so technically they don’t own them. I am just curious how much toyota bought of isuzu.

I believe GM sold its remaining 7.9% last year. Toyota is the third largest shareholder at 5.9%. Twenty percent of all Isuzu sales are to GM and I’m sure that will continue.

jtimm
    Mora,MN

If you want to read a comparison test go to edmunds.com and read there comparison with the Chevy,Nissan,and Toyota.By the way Honda, I’m gonna get my chest waders on if you keep typing false statements!

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

If you want to read a comparison test go to edmunds.com and read there comparison with the Chevy,Nissan,and Toyota.By the way Honda, I’m gonna get my chest waders on if you keep typing false statements!

You can wear you waders bring the tundra to the track and I will get a gm and ford product that has the same cubic inch and weight for the truck and we will see what out pulls the toyota and I will guarntee the GM and ford will both out pull the toyota. Everything looks great on paper but if you want the true power you have to put it in a neutral enviroment not put on by either company.

HenryPF

Quote:

You can wear you waders bring the tundra to the track and I will get a gm and ford product that has the same cubic inch and weight for the truck and we will see what out pulls the toyota and I will guarntee the GM and ford will both out pull the toyota. Everything looks great on paper but if you want the true power you have to put it in a neutral enviroment not put on by either company.

So to be clear on this, your F250 can tow 80,000 lbs and/or 40+ tons down the highway?

jtimm
    Mora,MN

Yeah, I talked to the ford rep and he told me the ford will pull 80,000 pounds right down the road . He also said there is no payload limit to the ford either ! Them fords and gm’s are the best thing out there, so don’t even think about trying something else cause there is no changing the future.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.