Should a boater’s safety course be manditory?

• tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

I witnessed some really crazy boating this past weekend. It seems that a good majority of the boater’s out there don’t have the slightest idea what they are doing. I lost a pair of planner board’s on sunday, due to the fact of stupidity! Boats throwing wakes in a NO WAKE zone. No courtesy at all.
    Jet Skier’s …..I really don’t wanna go there.
    A safety coures is good for all. Not only does it teach proper river ethics, it could also save you 15% on your boat insurance.
    Just my thoughts on the issue.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

yep

Walyecrappie
    Duluth

NO!! For one thing it would cost us money to take the course. When the majority of us do not need it.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

It doesn’t cost you a dime except for 8 hours of your time. The dnr and Army Corps of Engineers teach this course at no charge at all.

Don Hanson

No, it would not do any good. Everyone has to take drivers Ed. to drive a car. That surely does not help, look at the lack of concern for fellow drivers. People just do not care about anyone else.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

so you’re saying that no one should take drivers ed?? that doesn’t sound like a good idea.

i think that it WOULD help educate those boaters that only get out a few times a year. the ones that don’t know how to launch a boat efficiantly. those that don’t know how far to stay away from other boats. those who don’t understand what NO WAKE means.

these are the ones that we need to educate. even though the majority of the people understand these things, i think it would help to have everyone take some kind of class before they can drive a watercraft.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Am I supposed to really believe some of what’s being said here? A safety course is available………..that isn’t needed? Comparing it to driver’s ed? And no one cares about anyone else? I agree we can be largely inconsiderate but no one cares? We have a whole web audience here that cares about other people. People go out of their way and help and give time, food, money, instruction…………….I don’t buy it. Inconsiderate…………….we all have our moments. But if there’s a severe lack of caring then we’re not setting a good enough example for the youth to follow.

ANY safety course that has been set up is needed. I might be too ignorant or proud to attend it but the minute I make a mistake, I’d better be man enough to lay the blame on myself. However, I think the bigger picture here isn’t that “the majority” needs it, it’s the MINORITY that needs it! Granted, they might be too inconsiderate to apply the knowledge at all, let alone sensibly, but courses DO prevent everyone having a free-for-all and just doing “what comes to them”. Understand, it may not be that you’re a threat to someone else, but they may be a threat to you and for that, I think it should be necessary. They have them for ATV’s, motorcycles, snowmobiles……………why should boats be any different? Ask anyone who’s had an accident………an innocent accident (there are such things) and see if they thought it was fun going through the experience. Also ask them if a course might have been a good idea. I’m sure the majority of victims would agree.

And, to not have it should it cost a few bucks? Again, maybe it’s not worth it to you because “you’re” not the problem. That’s your determination……………………… because I can’t tell you what your life is worth.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Ya .. fine lets have a safety course for ALL boaters…. some of the worst boaters are guys that spend the most time on the water…. Guys that run the gates at the dam… guys that blow by you at mach 3 to get to a fishing spot… It doesn’t friggin matter….. you know who they are and so do they…. Ya Take a course ..

herb
    6ft under

I won’t debate the merits of a safe boating course here, but I would like to bring up a point of interest. Every state, along with the Coast Guard has boating regulations-laws. And every state has people to enforce those laws.
    Most of the complaints I read on this board and others has to do with people breaking these laws of water safety. If I read them right, common sense is written into every one of these laws. Common sense is also telling me to carry a note pad and or cell phone with me to turn these people into the dnr. The regulations are there for everyone to read and easy enough to understand. If that isn’t going to keep boaters and fishermen “water smart”, then perhaps stepped up enforcement would.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Good point, Herb.

I took the COE boating course years ago when I was a teenager, mostly because RIA required it if you wanted to rent one of their boats.

If people are interested, the info for a basic boating coarse is available online, with additional specifics for each state, including Iowa.

Maybe people should just try to take the quiz and re-read the material if they flunk.

Don Hanson

Should a boaters safety course be mandatory? That was the question, My answer was no. I did not say that it is not a good idea to take. I also did not say that drivers education was not needed. My point is soon after the instruction is over people will fall into their own style of operation, being on the water or roadway. No amount of mandatory instruction is going to help these people.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Herb is right on. I still think that local clubs should take this up in the way of a neighborhood watch. Encourage friends and club members to take notes while on the water. Write down numbers and descriptions and turn them in. Post signs at the landings stating that there is a “neighborhood watch”.

Make people take the safety course? Just more politics, a way for someone to pass a law and make a name for him/her self. I doubt that it would reduce problems on the water. I would help some perhaps to know what diferent bouys mean and what they are marking. They learn that anyway as soon as they lose a prop or lower unit on a wing dam.

pool2fool

oh oh a survey thingy, yes but mmmmmm maybe no, ah it’s that MANDATORY part that keeps sticking. have I seen some absolutly flippin crazy behavior on the water? oh yeah. I run a small outfit and my favorite water is pool 2. on some weekends it seems part of the fun for some of these guys is scaring the stuffings out of anyone with a boat smaller than them. part of the fun for me is having some knowlege of the rules of the road, right of way, burdened and privlidged, how to overtake another vessal, what the buoys mean, etc. On several occasions it seems some of these fellows wern’t happy until I was forced completly out of the channel ( people in fishing boats have always acted responsibly that I’ve seen). Now I just avoid being on the water when these folks seem to be out and about. Would a MANDATORY course help? hmmmmmm I must be a cynic, because I doubt it, some of these guys paid too much money to have to act safely and responsably…it would just get in the way of their “fun” other than that good fishing to all, kenn

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Herb’s idea is the best I’ve heard. Something needs to change the comfort zone of the flagrant lawbreakers. I’m still a bit amiss about the idea that “people will just do it anyway”. My goodness, if we had that philosophy about everything else there’d be no order whatsoever. I see issues in accountability, responsibility, core value, compassion, and an existing complacency regarding them. Is this what we’re teaching our kids or is that just reserved for the grown ups?

I think we’d all agree that something needs to be done. I’ve seen courses change minds and attitudes………..I think they’d have they’re place. So how about this: You consider yourself a safe, responsible, knowledgeable boater? We know kids aren’t always going to listen to the ‘rents but how about you include their education as part of your responsibility and mandate the safety course, with a test, and passing it, before letting them take control of the boat? Most rec boaters don’t frequent sites like this but there’s ways to get the same message to them and I’ll bet a good number of them would take it upon themselves to follow suit.

Growing up on the St.Croix…………..I know the mindset has always been that the river is a place to “turn it loose” without much legal interference. The mindset needs to change. There’s more people. More danger. And more legal interference. To do nothing is never the answer. If people didn’t have a responsibility issue, we wouldn’t need all the added politics and enforcement. Watch the bills that get passed and this is a consistent element. Someone neglected or ignored something that caused something else and now there’s a problem.

Herb’s suggestion of taking the responsibility upon ourselves to make a difference is sheer wisdom.

Don Hanson

The questions does not say a mandatory class for kids, minors, first time boat owners or whoever. as stated the class refers too all,and I I say No. I try to practice safe boating and pass this on to all riders in my boat. You keep hammering the kids issue and it said nothing about just kids in the original question, You are just assuming.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Okay…………let’s just slow this down a bit…………and this is my last post on the subject.

Yesterday is yesterday. We can only go forward. It’s up to all of us to start/set/keep the example but forward means tomorrow which means to carry on, which is going to have to involve the youth. There’s no assumption there friend……….that’s every history book ever published.

The question carries a potential involvement far beyond what’s printed in black and white. I only dared expose it…………..sorry it discomforts you. It’s really not a simple question with a simple answer. Why? Because to abuse regulation isn’t so much a problem in boat control as it is a decision of social behavior.

Glad to hear you’ve accepted the responsibility of those you’re responsible for………….I applaud you…………..but not everyone’s like you. So how do we address it? How do we help? How can we change it? Not my business? It’s all our business. The most responsible individuals driving cars are still injured and/or killed by irresponsibility and/or ignorance (but of course sometimes it’s weather or mechanical failure and no one’s at fault)……….so having witnessed boating accidents, I can testify much of the same. I value my life, and I value the lives of all those I share this board with. If my inconvenience will, in any way, help save even one of any of us, I’ll do it. I don’t see the harm in trying. Trying something. And if……….and only if……….I learn something for myself, will it be carried on if I decide to involve those who live beyond my years………..thus I do………..admittedly, hammer on the kids issue. As a father, it’s my duty to address this, for the good of the person, their future, our future, and the common good of the family, community, and country.

And again, I’m sure that’s more than anyone wanted to hear, I just see a bigger issue than a boat safety course.

Thanks for bearing with me…………..

Don Hanson

Wow! I must apologize, that came from so far left that I did not see it coming. I am not going to explain it again nor will I stoop to the tatics that Stillakid2 opts for. I will say though, it is irresponsible that something has to be enacted into law before you see it as a good idea.
    In the future when you decide to go the defamation route, please make sure the statements you are quoting are factual.
    Instead of taken out of context and played on to fit your agenda.
    Thanks

FishnFreak

OK — The “Kid” talks with a vision, I wish the world could be a better place. BUT, we are in a time when people are not taking responsibilty for their actions, and a safety class won’t change thier behavior.

Herb, you are the voice of wisdom.

The only thing that will change these idiots, is a ticket that costs them money, then maybe a class that costs them more money and some of their time. We are in a time where people are getting less curtious (not all, but enough to make it an issue) and only looking out for themselves. I agree with the “Kid” about needing to educate the youth, but that’s the parents job! Nothing the State does in a safety class, can change years of teaching from the parents. If the parent’s don’t teach respect and curtiousy, the chance is gone, now you can only make them pay for thier behavior.

Just look around; people are not using their blinker, they don’t hold doors, they don’t let that person with 3 items jump in front of them when they have a cart full of groceries, they dump their ashtrays on the road rather than taking it to a garbage can, they park where they want – with no respect to traffic, “THEY” are the problem and “they” need to addressed.

With any luck the next generation will step back and re-discover that lost arts of common sense and common curtousy. We are currently going down the wrong path, and it’s sad to say, but those taking the wrong path, are raising children that are discovering new wrong paths, that are going further from the one we should be on.

My 4 year old son, says please, thank you, holds the door and says sorry. I am doing my part, I just wish more people would do theirs.

I would like to see them require proof that you know how to back a trailor and launch a boat, before you can buy one!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure why I feel the need to share my thoughts here, but I will

Don, I’m not sure if you know Mr. Stillakid, but I’ve met with him once and I don’t believe he would defame anyone intentionally.

This last Memorial Day, in Afton, there was a young lady in a pickup backing a boat in. Her (assuming here) husband was standing outside the passenger side window, giving her instructions. She had to pull out a couple of times to straighten out. I thought this was a bad time to be “practicing” launching a boat. Once we were in the water, I asked her if it was her first time. She said that she has been practicing at home and at the launch, but this was the first time when people were waiting in line and she felt very nervous and uncomfortable. After she explained this to me, I was impressed by the way she handled it. How else are you going to learn pressure if you don’t experience it?

But a little more to the point.

I’ve been boating/fishing on lakes for years. It wasn’t until around 15 years ago, while living in Hastings, my wife wanted to go on the river. So our first time on the river was Memorial Weekend. I’m an experience small LAKE boater, not an issue to go on the river. Well, wasn’t really sure what the red and green cans were for, but I thought I would ask sooner or later. Got down to Prescott and hit the no wake zone. I slowed down but didn’t make it to the confluence when the red and blue lights came on. Never seen a squad boat on any lake I’d ever been on! The nice officer, asked me if I saw all the boats moored bouncing up and down? Then he explained I was causing that. Along with my $45 ticket, he gave me the boating rules booklet. Just by parking at Leo’s landing and reading through that helped me out a lot!

The point I’m trying to make here is that there are some people that don’t have a clue they are doing anything wrong. Many of them, if you explain to them what they are doing and how it affects other people/boaters are thankful. Ok, not all are going to say “thank you good buddy”, but it has been my experience MOST of the time, that they are appreciative. I wish someone had told me that “no wake” doesn’t just mean slow down!

Although I don’t know much, one thing I did learn about the river is that I need to have patients and communicate in a none defensive manner to other boaters/people that are seemingly rude/not caring/or lawbreakers. And that common sense to a river rat is not the same common sense to someone new to the river.

Ps If there is anyone planning on boating on the river for the first time, I would recommend not going on a holiday and knowing the rules!

Walyecrappie
    Duluth

I seem to be getting this vibe that there is alot of youth bashing. Not only on this topic but many others. I am only 16 so it does hurt me to read it. I do not think anyone is going out and saying it directly just indirectly. People go out and say youths are uncourdious and everything else. Well I say what do you expect. All I hear is older people blaming things on the youth. So in return younger people think twice of doing somthing. No it is not thinking twice of doing the right thing, but the wrong thing. I will admit there are alot of stupid young inconsiderate people out there. But to tell you the truth I have seen it happen more often and to a more extreme extent when I am on the lake fishing. Every once in a while when I am out I will see another younger kid out there. We will nod to each other and keep on fishing. Then ten minutes latter I see an adult come buy in a big expensive bass fishing boat with a trolling motor and everything else. If I am catching fish he will troll right on by me without giving it a second thought. Never have I experienced a youth do this to me. Again I will admit there are some out there. But thoose youth who are incosiderate and “no good” are not out on a lake. There is some alley smoking pot. Youths that are on the lake fishing are some of the nicest people out there. I just want some of you to know that. I am one I hold the door be polite and everything like that. All I expect in return is for thoose people that see me and any other youths doing that to hold a little higher regard for us. Sorry if I ruffeled anyones feathers.

herb
    6ft under

Walyecrappie,
    We read you LOUD AND CLEAR! You sir, are our future. I don’t think anyone here is bashing the youth intentionally, although some of the posts may seem like it. I think I can honestly say the ratio of inconsiderates on the water leans more to the older generation of which I belong now. But that is mostly because of the fact most of the boaters out there are of my generation. Very simple to figuire this one. I get to meet up with a lot of folks out on the water both young and old and for the most part they are great people. It’s the times when we encounter someone breaking the safe boating rules or violating the “common curtesy” of the water that we tend to lump a certain age group into that a–hole bracket. It’s human nature that we do this. We have a bad habit of generalizing whenever we complain about these people. I’ve been doing it for years and I’ll bet you will too when you get older. I doubt anyone on this board can deny it at one time or another.
    Enough with that.
    I’ll tell you all something that I see for the future. As more and more people use the rivers and lakes for recreation,as our population keeps growing, and we see more accidents, near misses, and more complaints in general, we will have mandatory boating classes forced upon us. Like it or not, it’s coming!
    Gee, I got all that out and still never gave an opinion on boating classes.

Don Hanson

In the interest of our sport, the future of the sport is the youth. Thus you get tossed into the midst of these debates. Nope no bashing going on from anybody, just a concern for your future on the water.
    This also will come from many angles, As in this post, all will agree that the problem needs to be addressed. I am opposed to my angling friends who’s response to isues such as this is always the same. Blame someone else and have the goverment regulate it.
    My youth was spent with a greater freedom of range, just want the youth of today and the future to enjoy that same freedom. I do not tell me it can’t be that way anymore. So twist my statements, blame the problems of todays society on me. I am taking a couple of kids fishing.
    See ya on the water, Don

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

After being hit by a boat a short while ago, driven by an experienced riverman, I have to be honest any boat approaching me at speed rattles me a bunch right now.

So if I plug into the scenario the fact that an experienced pilot can have an accident, I have to say anyone that buys, registers, or operates a boat needs to have already finished or finish before they operate on the water an approved safety course. The completed course participant should be the only one allowed to operate the boat.

Very few folks seem to respect the power and danger involved on a river like the Mississippi or any body of water, and frankly the fact that there are not more accidents amazes me. I really think a mandatory course would at least help . If you see someone intentionally breaking the law that endangers you or others certainly you should report it.

With regards to age , if it was really ever brought up. It is not an issue. If your gonna operate any watercraft including, jet skis, row boats, canoes, sailboats, and rentals you should have to have the course certificate. By the way my 16 year old son is a graduate and if nothing else, the course taught him to respect the water. He is a very carefull operator now and always has been.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

Very few folks seem to respect the power and danger involved on a river like the Mississippi or any body of water,

This seems to really be the key. I’m “Mr Caution” when I’m in the boat, especially when I’m on the Cedar or Mississippi. Those two rivers are known killers, and it’s torture to see people out there being reckless – especially when they’ve got their kids with them.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

“Should a boater’s safety course be mandatory?” Been thinking about that question for at least a day now and I’d have to answer the question as Yes. And let me follow up that answer by stating that I will be 40 years old soon, boated/fished all my life and have not yet taken the course. Funny this question comes up as I have intended for the last 2 seasons to complete the course. My main reason for taking the course include a 10% reduction in insurance premiums. In the future, this may be the overriding factor…..no safety training, no insurance coverage. (Or insurance coverage so expensive you would an idiot no to get certified.)

Quote:

I won’t debate the merits of a safe boating course here, but I would like to bring up a point of interest. Every state, along with the Coast Guard has boating regulations-laws. And every state has people to enforce those laws.

Herb said it well there. We are all responsible to know, understand and follow the law. Not doing so pisses people off!

If you are in the Twin Cities Metro area, the next US Coast Guard Public Boating Education Course will be 7/12/2003 at the Hudson Marina Club Room. (16 So. Front Street, Hudson WI) The class runs from 9am to 5 pm. Call Jerry Frederick at 651-257-1994 for more info.

And don’t be surprised to see me there!

Jon J.

2Fishy4U

Brian nailed it when he said most people who are inconsiderate or violate some type of law don’t have a clue they are doing something wrong.

Having been on this earth for several decades I was taught early in life to slow down when going past people that are fishing, particularly in our backwaters and sloughs. Few people do that anymore and in some of our narrower sloughs a Boat going past at 50 MPH raises havoc with the fishing and my nervous system. Others don’t know what “no wake” means. I love these people that slow down only enough to create the biggest wake possible.

Finally, it is amazing the positive reactions you receive when extending common sense coutesies to other boaters.

In response to the original question it won’t hurt to have some type of course, even a video discussing some of the issues raised would be helpful.

bass addict
    Eagan, MN

I took the Coast Guard course before I took delivery of my boat. It had a lot of good stuff to offer. The problem as I see it seems to be lack of enforcement of any kind. The only place they seem to pay attention to is ‘Tonka. And like they say in rush hour traffic in Chicago, “They can’t arrest all of us!” Just listen to the people complain about “harrassment” on ‘Tonka.

herb
    6ft under

You’re right on Bass Addict. Lack of enforcement of existing laws is a real problem. But we also need to remember how thinly spread the water patrol is. All state agencies right now are hurting for funds so it only makes sense to collect ticket money in the more populated or popular areas of a lake or river. I can’t really blame them for that.
    Try to think back on all the times you were fishing a “way back in area” when some meathead plows by you and throws you up on the bank, cuts you off your chosen course, or just plain darn near runs into you, and you say to yourself, where the heck is the dnr water patrol when you need them?
    I think I’d rather be harrassed once in awhile knowing they are out there checking than never see them at all.
    Besides, I behave myself so I never worry about me.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. I made a comment earlier about turning the meatheads in. Would I really do that? Yup! You betcha. But I would use a lot of discretion before making the decision to do it. Because sometimes a person doesn’t realize the booboo he made till after he’s had time to think about it. Usually he’s a bit more carefull afterwards.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

What started out as a simple question really went in a lot of different directions here.
    I am in my early 30s and have been around boats my whole life. Just over a year ago I finally purchased my own and I took the boater’s safety course mostly for the 10% discount it got me. I thought I knew a fair amount about boating but there were things I learned that have made me a better boater and discount or not…..I am very glad I took the time to do the course. If a course can teach you 1 simple thing it is successful and I don’t think there is a person out there that wouldn’t benefit/learn from a safety course.
    I agree that enforcement needs to be increased but just 2 weeks ago I saw a Sheriff going boat to boat on Winnie and one of the boats he checked was a friend of mine out with his family, they were doing things by the rules and he still gave them a hard time he spent a solid 20 minutes tied up to them and didn’t find anything to write a ticket for…that is the harrassment people are referring to. Last summer I was checked on Cross Lake and the 2 Sheriffs in the boat were polite and curteous they checked us and sent us on our way in about 5-7 minutes.

As for the punishments for violating the laws…..what do you do when you have people with 5, 6, 10 or more DWIs/BWIs or speeding tickets still driving around? People are going to do it no matter what, unfortunately those of us that want to play by the rules need to be on our toes and watch out for not only ourselves but other boaters around us.
    I don’t see any reason to argue about safety…it is the single most important thing to having a fun day on the water, or on your sled or anything else you might be doing.
    Good luck and be safe, if everyone that reads this discussion does their best to practice safe boating then there are a hundred some people that we aren’t going to have to worry about out there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.