Trolling For Muskies

• bradcegla

i have been fishing for muskies now for three years. i have spent all of my time casting. i really enjoy moving around the lake and “hunting” for muskies with every cast. but sometimes the old gun gets tired. so i was hoping for some info on musky trolling. for example what speeds am i looking for , what depths should i be trolling for and would i run my plug at the bottom depth i am trolling or keep it more in the middle of the water column. what type of plugs work best, and what time of the season is trolling going to produce. i have read books and magazines about the subject but some more more insight would be great. thnks

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Personally I think that trolling for muskies can be effective year round. Traditionally it is more of a fall pattern w/ crankbaits (Jakes/Magnum Shad Raps/Grandmas), however, I have had success in the middle of the summer trolling big spinner baits just inside of the weedlines, so I would consider it a year round option. The two times that I will definately turn to trolling (other than when the arms are tired) is when I am on new water trying to locate active fish, or when you are faced with a really large piece of structure or shoreline that could produce. I have only caught a dozen or so Muskies, so I am sure that some of the more experienced guys can add to that, but that is my 2 cents.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Trolling is a great way to cover water looking for active fish, you also get a good idea of the layout of the lake. It makes it easy to find good weed beds when your bait fowls. Trolling with big bucktail(cowgirls/siligirls) you can run very shallow, sometimes as shallow as 5 feet. The trick to this is to keep the boat moving fast 3mph on the low end and 5-7 on the top end. There are times that the baits may break the surface, if this happens you are moving a little to fast, slow it down just a little. The perfect situation is to have the bait bulge the surface without breaking it. With bucktail trolling, you can go just about anywhere. This is a great tactic for big expansive weed flats or trolling a weed line. Throw a planer board on to get the bait out away from the boat is not a bad idea either. The other thing to think about when trolling shallow is to troll a topwater, sounds strange, but it does work great under the correct conditions. If you are looking at taking a step off the weedline or break line, trolling cranks is the way to go. Grandmas,Jakes,Dunwrights, just about any crank will work. The key is to mix it up. Run one on the outide that will get down deep and then run a shallow lip crank (MANS are my favorite) on the inside. Trolling with cranks you will want to run the speed a little slower, the cranks will fowl when run to fast, so you will have to do a little trial and error at the side of the boat to see how fast you can run any given crank. Just let out about 5-10 feet of line and adjust your speed to see how the bait runs. With cranks you can work the outside of a weedline or breakline but you should also look to open water as well. The fact is, the weed edge and breakline get beat on very hard by every angler looking for muskies. The fish get preasured off the break and suspend over deep water. You will find that the fish will maintain the same depth that they were sitting on at the break, but they now may be over very deep water. Last fall we boated a number of fish over 60-70 feet of water. The fish were only down about 15-20 feet. These fish are not as easy to target, because it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. When working open water, trust your eletronics. Go out to no mans land and look for baitfish. You will see clouds of them, this is what you want to troll. To make things a little easier, watch to see where those clouds of baitfish are located in the water colume and match your baits to the desired water depth you want to taget. The other thing to look at on any given lake, is what the muskies have for a food source. If it Mille Lacs, perch colored baits are great, so is anything that is white, matching the Tullies. Walleye colored baits also get the nod!. Hope this helps a little. It is something to see when a muskie hits a bait that is moving at 5+_MPH, they are angry

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Great reply Bob!!!

Don’t get hung up that trolling is a crank bait and fall season only type of presentation.

You can troll right out the gate with the first day of the season!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Quote:

Great reply Bob!!!

Don’t get hung up that trolling is a crank bait and fall season only type of presentation.

Yea, what Bob said. And to think Bob doesn’t even like to troll.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Last fall Bob and I started messing around with Siligirls and Bulldawgs with 5 ounce inline trolling sinkers off the edges of rock piles. With 5 ounces and a 48″ 120lb flouro lead you can slow way down, get great action on your baits, and target a very specific depth (like the bottom of the break off the pile). With that much weight your baits stay almost vertical, straight down under the boat. You can very precisely control the depth that your bait is running with a couple cranks of the reel. We never hooked up doing it, but it will definitely be something we revisit this year!

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Last fall Bob and I started messing around with Siligirls and Bulldawgs with 5 ounce inline trolling sinkers off the edges of rock piles. With 5 ounces and a 48″ 120lb flouro lead you can slow way down, get great action on your baits, and target a very specific depth (like the bottom of the break off the pile). With that much weight your baits stay almost vertical, straight down under the boat. You can very precisely control the depth that your bait is running with a couple cranks of the reel. We never hooked up doing it, but it will definitely be something we revisit this year!

Interesting technique.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yes that is!

We’ve put rods straight down at the console in the rod holders before. Run about 5′ of line off the tip. With the rod straight down in the water, you are running to the front and right/left of the prop wash. Works very good. And DANG to they hit that rod hard!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Bowman
    MN

The power of “P” is strong in that boy! I can’t take any credit for Dan’s off the wall ideas, but I do have to say that I am very impressed with this tactic and I know that is will yeild fish after we work on perfecting it a little more. Slow trolling for muskies, now that is something that I know I have not done…Yet.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Years ago I remember reading an article on “prop wash pike” and always wondered if Muskies would respond the same way……very interesting Gary

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Great reply Bob!!!

Yea, what Bob said. And to think Bob doesn’t even like to troll.

I forgot the most important thing when trolling with me…..A lot of BEER because God knows you can’t catch muskies trolling

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

We have been trolling for muskies for many years up on Mantrap by Park Rapids. We cast for them as well but many times it’s Miller Time and you can cover a lot of ground this way. We do 2 separate types of trolling…live bait and planer boards. We use 6″ or better suckers with a spinner rig consisting of #1 or #2 hook 6-8 Lg beads and a #4-#6 colorado hammered blade. Slow troll this rig along breaks and weedlines and hold-on!! Planer boards are a little more hassle but sometimes the ONLY way to get to the pressured fish. Some of are best days are using boards! Live bait as well as cranks/bucktails can be HOT!!!

Tuna

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Awesome thread. I started trolling for ski’s quite a bit more the last 2 – 3 years. Now I probably troll more than I cast. I fish mostly on a Wi. lake we have our cabin on. If the weather is decent, we normally go for a cruise on our pontoon boat with the wife, 2 little girls and any other neighbors or company that want to go with. We may also tip a few cold ones too. I threw a couple rod holders on the pontoon and I started to always grab a rod, net, hook removal tools and a camera whenever we go for a cruise. We normally just went around the lake following the weedline anyways, so its kind of a bonus to have a line in the water. The last 2 years, I’ve caught more fish trolling in the pontoon than out of my fishing boat. My personal best day was last Memorial weekend where I caught 45 and 43 inch fish. I know I get pretty excited when I catch a fish, but you should see the others on the boat freak when they see these get caught. I’ve been using mainly jerk baits with the Sledge being my preferred. I troll between 3 – 5 mph. Here are my 2 Memorial day fish.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

And the 43 incher.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Nice fish! Is your dog actually asleep in that one picture? If only I could get my dogs to stop jumping in the water trying to retrieve my baits before I do…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Its my neighbors dog Reggie. He’s a 130 lb [censored] cat. He didn’t even flinch. Five years ago before he got fixed, he would have been over it like flies on …..

Bob Bowman
    MN

Nice fish Kirk
    Here is one I busted while trolling, not a monster, well lets be honest, it a minnow, but the color markings on this fish sure are nice

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

The markings on that fish are really cool.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

St. Louis River Bobby…. Yeeee Haaaaaaaw!!! I can’t believe you actually show people that tiny fish, colors or not… If I remember right you caught that on your Snoopy Pole????

Bob Bowman
    MN

When there is a 54 1/2 X 26 to back that up I really don’t care about the little ones like my fishing partner does

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I have never caught a little one, just like picking a fight with Chuck Norris or Bill Brasky, the short fish know better then to waste my time !!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Your right, they are awesome colors. Man, I can’t wait until the season opens again. Or until 4:00 gets here and we load up for Mille Lacs tonight.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I am heading up there tonight too, but sad to say not until around 7pm

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I have never caught a little one, just like picking a fight with Chuck Norris or Bill Brasky, the short fish know better then to waste my time !!

Could be the stink on your hands there Bro! S q U i R t

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Awesome thread. I started trolling for ski’s quite a bit more the last 2 – 3 years. Now I probably troll more than I cast. I fish mostly on a Wi. lake we have our cabin on. If the weather is decent, we normally go for a cruise on our pontoon boat with the wife, 2 little girls and any other neighbors or company that want to go with. We may also tip a few cold ones too. I threw a couple rod holders on the pontoon and I started to always grab a rod, net, hook removal tools and a camera whenever we go for a cruise. We normally just went around the lake following the weedline anyways, so its kind of a bonus to have a line in the water. The last 2 years, I’ve caught more fish trolling in the pontoon than out of my fishing boat. My personal best day was last Memorial weekend where I caught 45 and 43 inch fish. I know I get pretty excited when I catch a fish, but you should see the others on the boat freak when they see these get caught. I’ve been using mainly jerk baits with the Sledge being my preferred. I troll between 3 – 5 mph. Here are my 2 Memorial day fish.

I always thought that motor trolling was illegal in WI?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

It depends on the particular lake. Some you can.. some you can’t.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Anyone else trolling jerks? Gliders or Slashers? I’ve done it a few times with Suicks with minimal success on skis, but pike sure like em!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I have caught two fish trolling the big phantoms. Unfortunately they all don’t troll the same. The one I got tuned right, would sweep 3 feet side to side at 3 mph. ineresting to watch in the rod holder, fouled in a split second on anything in the water.

We have also seen some interesting action out of the Dancers, however speed has to be knocked back a bit to get the widest swath on the 8.5″.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Don’t be afraid to pull a tiger tube about 25 yards back either. I have a friend that scoffs at trolling for musky. I troll often for them and catch more fish than he does. I tell him I can run 3 baits at once per person and keep them in the strike zone longer.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Bob, is that a tiger? The rounded tail and the pattern on the cheeks looks like a purty tiger.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.