Drove the New 08 6.4L SuperDuty Today

• TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

All I have to day is WOW I have been a die hard Ford guy all my life and have driven Diesels for the last 5 years and I have been more impressed with the other brands out their lately, but Ford has it together with this one. Not as quiet as the Duramax but real close. This thing has snort I thought I had power with my 6.0 but this one feels like it has twice as much. Much different power band then the 6.0. It was like driving a gas truck, no turbo lag at all and super smooth. The redone interior is just about like the F150. And the 3D navigation was cool to I was almost tempeted to order one today. The only thing that was holding back was that I didn’t have an extra $45,000 around to buy one and I don’t think the wife would aprove
    Maybe if I sell mine and win the powerball

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I like the new motor they have come out with and will be trading in eventually I just dont want to be there guinee pig. Just like th 6.0 ltr. it will have its problems so hopfully they get it rite the first time. I wish they would have just added the new technolagy to the 7.3 as It is still my favorite.

honda75
    Iowa

Not as quiet as the duramax. Good statement but here is the answer. When you have all that power it can’t be quiet.

FORD TRUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 YEARS BEST SELLING TRUCKS ON THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!! MORE TRUCKS WITH 250K ON THEM AND STILL ON THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

superdave
    NE IA

Hopefully they have there things together on this one. The 6.0 was definitely a disapointment.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I had seen from the pictures that it is tight under the hood. Well tight is an under statement. If you leave a wrench under the hood I don’t think it will close, thats how tight it is. I hope they have it together also, if they don’t, they will be lossing a lot of die hards like me. It was I think the best feeling/driving truck Ford has ever made. Lets hope they have it right.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

You have to remember that at 100K they are just getting broke in. I have 246,000 miles on my ’99 PS and will more than likely go blue oval again.
    I kind of like the turbo whistle though.. sounds like horsepower. Go

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

You have to remember that at 100K they are just getting broke in. I have 246,000 miles on my ’99 PS and will more than likely go blue oval again.
    I kind of like the turbo whistle though.. sounds like horsepower. Go

this is a very true statement. Our work trucks had 386k on them and still running great and sold them. A diesel is brand new till 100k. My brother has the 7.3 and chipped to the wood NO problems at all. Dad has the 6 liter stroker and NO problems at all with it either.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

The only thing that was holding back was that I didn’t have an extra $45,000 around to buy one and I don’t think the wife would aprove

$45,000 must of been a stripped down model. My 03 with the 7.3 was stickered at 49, 570

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

the 6.0 was the worst engine they made IMO the 7.3 is a much better engine.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

$45,000 must of been a stripped down model. My 03 with the 7.3 was stickered at 49, 570

Somebody really took it to you then… I didn’t pay even close to that for an 06′ 4 door loaded lariet.

For you guys saying the 6.0 was a flop, what do you mean. I have a 7.3 and a 6.0 and they are both great. It took some getting used to the different power curve and a 4 sp. auto vs. the 5 sp. auto, but I will do anything to not have to drive my 7.3 anymore. the 6.0 has more power.

duramax_2001
    Hastings, mn

I just can’t figure out why ford had to come out with a twin turbo. The d-max can still keep up with it. maybe they shoulda put three turbos in it.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

the 6.0 was the worst engine they made IMO the 7.3 is a much better engine.

You must be nuts!! fuel mileage and pure power the 6.0 blows the 7.3 away!!

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

I just can’t figure out why ford had to come out with a twin turbo. The d-max can still keep up with it. maybe they shoulda put three turbos in it.

The chevys run and look good but once you get off a paved road its done!! They have zero ground clearence. Took a duramax to colorado elk hunting and it was a huge mistake.We would have pushed it off a cliff except it wouldn’t make it over the edge.Can everbody say “WORTHLESS”

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Give me a break.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Ah the Old Ford vs. Chevy debate. It never dies!!

I drive a Ford, and have had 4 Fords in a row, but I think the new Super Duty is UGLY. The grill has gotten just plain TOO BIG, at least that’s my opinion anyway. Much like women, I’m sure everyone has a different preference in looks, but that’s mine. It’s starting to look like a Tonka toy. I sometimes wonder when it will turn into Optimus Prime.

Dodge has always had the nicest looking trucks IMO since they came out with the Ram in the early 90’s. The new Chevy is growing on me too.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Chevy Guy here,

Still think the Ford Super Duty is the sweetest looking truck out there.

Not Saying I’m in complete love with it…Even the prettiest of girl have their issues!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Greg. I have one of those GMC sooters and I have plenty of ground clearance.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Chevy Guy here,

Not Saying I’m in complete love with it…Even the prettiest of girl have their issues!

What do you know, you think Champs are pretty too!!

Do you like the looks of the new Toyota Tundra?

gregh
    s.e. minn

Tim, unless you’ve put a lift on your truck you dont have the the clearence of a ford!! The old sayin—-chevys your show truck and fords are your work truck.

duramax_2001
    Hastings, mn

Ok let me refraze that. Ford had to put twin turbos to make as much power as the d-max. And I never have a problem with clearance under my truck. And no I didn’t put no lift kit on it neither.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Ford doesn’t have to do anything to make their trucks have this or that much power. Don’t be so dense and think that the Duramax was or is more powerful. All three diesels on the market are great. To each his own. For the record, I do own Ford diesels but am not a die hard Ford guy. I am a die hard, buy what ever product is best guy. I’ve been in all of them and prefer the Ford.
    So anyways, Ford didn’t have to use twin turbos to make as much power as a duramax. They were so close in power, nobody ever no the difference. Just different power curves. It just looks like the Powerstroke came out with a cool addition to an already great product.

gregh
    s.e. minn

ER– Well put!!Duramax I wasn’t referring to you any how if you reread the post it said “Tim” . We all could go on and on about this but lets get back to posting fishing treads.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Chevy Guy here,

What do you know, you think Champs are pretty too!!

Do you like the looks of the new Toyota Tundra?

Yeah Champs are pretty…thats a fact! But the reason I have the champ is for Ride, Handling, Ride, Fishability, and you guessed it Ride.

I do like the looks of the new Toyota also. I know nothing about them but Yes I think they are a sharp looking truck for being a 1/2 ton.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I dont consider myself an expert but I do own 11 of them currently not all fords and not all diesel either. 6 fords and 5 chevys and one import cab over. As far as work trucks go I beleive ford wins hands down. Comfort goes to chevy. Now the diesels, They both have about the same power just differnt bands. I have seen both range in gas mi. from 12 to 20 mpg. ford should have stayed with there 7.3 as it was built to last. The 6.0 had alot of trouble with the early 03 with head gaskets I own 2 of those. Havent been dissapointed with the 6.0 just not as satified with it as much as the 7.3.
    This new 6.4 has caught my eye. I will be waiting to see how it pans out before I try it. I read in an article that chevy duramax is putting 1500 psi through there injectors and with this new 6.4 ford has out they are running 26,000 psi. Not sure if this was a mis print but thats alot. It was in fords brocheure that I saw this. The more psi is suposed to help quiet it down but that scares me a little.
    As far as the old ford, chevy, dodge post goes it will never die. If either one of them were better than the other there service department would not exist.
    Have pleanty more to say about each but my fingers are getting sore . I didnt even get into the gas jobs yet

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Ah the Old Ford vs. Chevy debate. It never dies!!

Well we are talking GM, Ford, and Mopar, so at least we are talking trucks here. They all can and will break. All of them have their good points and bad ones too.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Duramax 2001, They put the twin turbo in to offset any possible turbo lag. They run inline, a small in front of the big. They small one handles all of the snap for town driving and spoils up very quick. It feels like driving a gas V8. Then the large turbo takes over for the lugging power. So there is no lag anywhere through out the power band from starting out to top end. I know the Duramax is a great motor as well and I have driven them as well. This new Ford does not drive like the Diesel we are used to.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

They small one handles all of the snap for town driving and spoils up very quick. It feels like driving a gas V8. Then the large turbo takes over for the lugging power. So there is no lag anywhere through out the power band from starting out to top end.

That is some interesting technology. I imagine other manufacturers will follow suit.

honda75
    Iowa

Quote:

This is a funny post because when you put a durachoke on the track against a 7.3 or a 6 liter stroker it pulls the sled 20 feet further at the least and that is bone stock. If you chip them the 7.3 will blow both of them out of the water. I know from experience. We PULL!!!!!!!!!!!!

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

The dual turbo design isn’t for added power. The small, fixed position, turbo drives the larger, variable geometry, turbo in a manner that eliminates the turbo lag. For thos that do not think they have turbo lag just wait until you drive a 6.4.

To clarify to 6.0 reliability troubles let me offer an abbreviated description based on complete hands on experience. The early 6.0’s were by far the most troubled. But let’s be clear here and seperate the engine from the engine management system. The mechanical enigne is and always was “bullit proof”. The failures early on came from poor choices in engine management. Fords diesels are built by International and International insisted on using a version of their Diamond Logic control system. It didn’t work. Over 23 PCM updates later and the 6.0 was starting to run as it should have. That is phase one of the 6.0 troubles.

Phase two wasn’t the fault of International or Ford. It was the EPA and the relaxation of the LSD (Low Sulfer Diesel) standard. The 6.0 was built to run on diesel with no more than 500 PPM sulfer. As the 6.0 was rolling off the line the EPA relaxed and the actual PPM varied but almost never came as low as the “allowed MAX” of 500. This caused all the turbo and EGR problems that people had reported. The additional soot created from the sulfer wreaked havoc on the VGT plate and solenoid as well as the EGR. Ford has service messages that detail how to properly disassemble and clean the turbo’s. Something that has never before been recomended by an manufacturer, the wholesale disassembly and cleaning of a turbo! However since about October the new fuel standards have again been in place and many areas have had the ULSD allowing people to run the 500 or 15 PPM (both numbers indicate the highest amount allowed) and the issue with stuck turbos and EGRs is all but gone.

When running as designed the 6.0 is an extremely potent engine. Neither the Cummins nor the Duramax (all in stock trim) will flog the 6.0. The drawback to the 6.0 is it is a relative fuel hog compared to the 7.3 and chipping the 6.0 doesn’t add MPG. The power chips make the 6.0 snort like crazy but also raise combustion chamber pressure so high that it won’t be long and a headgasket will blow. While some feel the 7.3 was the better engine they must have forgotten all the $500.00 injectors that have failed or the high pressure oil pumps that blew or the countless other little problems that everyone came to accept. In comparison to anything Dodge or GM offered in the early days of the 7.3 PSD these kind of problems were easily accepted.

As good as I think the 6.4 will be I’ll say now that the people that like to modify these trucks will be sadly dissapointed. Chips will be a thing of the past thanks to exhaust baffles and regeneration. All diesel engines will suffer from the growing pains of the same exact system as all three will be using it. Don’t know what I mean? Better study up! It is the very reason the trucks are going to take a 4-6K price hike.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.