Hunter to stand trial.

• ggoody
    Mpls MN

Seems pretty cut and dry to me…….GUILTY of some sort of homicide.

It’s the jurors job to decide it, we at In-Depth-Angling can have any opinion we want and don’t have to wait for a verdict to give it.

col._klink
    St Paul

Sorry guys but when a man points a gun at another man and pulls the tigger knowing that death is in his sights the only source of reaction on my behalf is life in prision with out parol.

Forget the death penality. That would cost us more than it is worth.

I could give a rats of what color the guy is. A man is a man.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Interestinly enough in Minnesota he’d be guilty on the basis he didn’t render any help after the shooting (reguardless of the situation).

In my permit to carry class they discussed the need for you, even if you legally shot someone to protect yourself, that you need to render help to the person (the instructor couldn’t say that with a straight face, some wonder huh?) Help could be as simple as calling for an ambulance, otherwise you setting yourself up for trouble.

Not sure if this holds true for wi.

rangerski
    North Metro

If one is unable to speak english in America, How does one read and understand the LAWS for hunting etc. and most important, posses a firearm and occupy public grounds to hunt???? I am sure most have been through gun safety and can read and comprehend the English language, thus giving you the oppurntunity to buy a license and hunt and fish legally. I have served on foreign soils for Americas way of life and witnessed how regions envision survival. The way there is NOT the way here, bottom line, let the justice system handle the situation.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

well, we will see what happens I guess. I hope, either way, the family of Cha Vang gets some closure.

metrolunker
    Metro lakes

Quote:

If one is unable to speak english in America, How does one read and understand the LAWS for hunting etc. and most important, posses a firearm and occupy public grounds to hunt???? I am sure most have been through gun safety and can read and comprehend the English language, thus giving you the oppurntunity to buy a license and hunt and fish legally.

Minnesota DNR has a regulation Booklet written in hmong and other languages. Hmong regulation handbook Wisconsin also has these handbook regulations written in hmong and others languages too. Don’t think for a bit that hmongs and others are uneducated and don’t know the laws and rules for hunting and fishing because they don’t speak english. They are very well educated and if they break’em, is that they chose to. The majority of citizens do follow the laws of fishing and hunting but there are some that just likes to breaks the laws and gives all the other sportsmen a bad name.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Just curious for the guys defending our court system and the hunter’s rights, did you have these same posts about “having his day in court”, “proven innocent until guilty”, and “due process” when this same discussion came up for Vang?

Yes, our rights and legal system are extremely important to the foundation of this country. But I would like to ask: What do O.J., Mark Chmura, Kobe Bryant, Viking’s boat party, Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Michael Irvin, and Michael Jackson all have in common. They were found not guilty (or given a slap on the wrist) in a court of law. Yet, how many of them do you think are innocent?

If it looks like poo and smells like poo, it is probably poo.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

B Curtis:
    I will stand up and say: “I DID!”

I’m a firm believer in our court systems. It is part of the 3 branches in our government system that keeps things in check-n-balance.

Otherwise, vigilante’s would be running around with ropes, heading for oak trees.

“We” don’t know the story, therefore we cannot pass judgement. “WE” are not educated enough in our judicial system to pass judgement on on this case. That is why we elect judges who know how to filter through the whole “story” and find the facts.

We have only seen the media report and the prosecuter’s charges. We haven’t seen the defense’ report yet.

We don’t know what the outcome of the investigation will be. It could be a cold-blooded murder or it could be self-defense, or it could be just an old-fashioned shoot out between two parties????

Being there is only one witness, the alledged killer, we probably won’t ever get the real story.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Well Gary I commend you for that. And I agree with what you are saying about the legal system. As it was stated before in different posts that there are reasons why he might be found not guilty, but that certainly doesn’t make him innocent.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

With all due respect to all the posters on this thread…

For those that find a loop hole in our impurfect legal system…we will all have to answer the The Real Judge at some point. BS don’t fly there.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

For those that find a loop hole in our impurfect legal system…we will all have to answer the The Real Judge at some point. BS don’t fly there.

Do you mean the favorite wife

Lord , I appolgize for that, and be with the pygmys in New Guinea

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and you should! She’s standing right behind me!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It will be very interesting to hear the final story on this. Reason being is that Nichols did have two gun-shot wounds in his hands from a .22 cal that appeared to have been fired from Vang.

Sounds like it was a shoot-out at one point in the confrontation. We just don’t know who started it and who shot first.

Brian is right. You can only run and hide for so long before you run out of time!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

From the “looking at this through common sense” glasses, if the guy didn’t think he did anything wrong, why did he try and cover up the body and not report it? If someone attacked me in the woods and I killed them in self defense, 911 would be called ASAP.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

In extremely stressful situations, people do very weird things. I can’t say what was going on in his mind at the time, but look at the situation.

Ex con gets in a firefight with another person. Other person dies, initial thought, ex-con did it with malice.

Not condoning anything that happened, but as a firefighter, I have seen normal, smart people loose all reasoning when confronted with a high stress situation.

I will wait for the courts to figure this one out. Thank God we live in a country as great as America, and have a justice system that although not perfect, decides the outcome of this.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Farmboy I will second what you said. Take the astronaut that did what she did. There was stress and everything else going on in her world. I know that NASA goes through an extensive battery of Psych tests and then boom look what happened.

The will be found Guilty or Not Guilty…this will be determined once facts and only facts are presented. The media doesn’t always give the full truth or full story most of the time just remember that.

2Fishy4U

Lotsa reasons for his actions such as he doesn’t and has never trusted the cops, he is an ex-con, etc. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and as someone suggested early on don,t be suprised if he gets off.

metrolunker
    Metro lakes

Quote:

It will be very interesting to hear the final story on this. Reason being is that Nichols did have two gun-shot wounds in his hands from a .22 cal that appeared to have been fired from Vang.

Sounds like it was a shoot-out at one point in the confrontation. We just don’t know who started it and who shot first.

AHHH come on, do you really think that when a person is going to shoot someone, they are going to shoot at their hands, not just 1 hand but both hands. Okay, Let’s say vang shot him on both hands already and he was still able to hold his gun steady enough to get one shot off(hiting Vang in the shoulder and neck), wrestle with vang, taking his knife out and stab him six times and then hid his body???????? His (nichols) story is full of cr*p. I’ll be very surprise if the jurors and the judge believe his story and let him off with murder and hiding a corpse, I doubt it.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Maybe it would be easier to just pull out a rope and get it over with before being sent to court?
    I sure hope our judicial system NEVER ends up like that. If so, I’m bailing this country! Even 3rd world countries don’t convict their alledged criminals that fast.

What I’m saying is that both parties have gun shot wounds. That would lead me to prematurely believe there was a gun fight. If Nichols shot himself with Vang’s gun, as I think that you might be trying to say, the ballistics will say so.

rangerski
    North Metro

It seems that when you see over possesion of fish and other violations that more often then not their name is Vang, Lee , etc. Not to say others dont conform to laws, but some of these folks grew up this way (a place other then the U.S.) and are accustomed to acting in this manner in order to survive. Did they not know they were in the wrong???? Nothing against other cultures but here in America competence is important and should not be ignored.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

America has what is called due process and it is for a reason. In America people are innocent until proven guilty. At least they were. Now with all the experts trained directly from the instant media and their eye catching headlines we no longer need to know the truth before we castigate a member of society. Heck as evidenced above we even dropped the old double jeopardy rule. Now because of an earlier crime you already paid a debt for you can instantly be considered guilty at anything that shall come up from then on. Obviously once you make a mistake your as good as dirt.

I agree with you, however, I didn’t say he was guilty after a past mistake, just that it makes him much less credable. You know that the guy is capable of doing illegal things if he has done them in the past..It just doesn’t help his cause. I for one also believe “innocent until proven guilty”…what got to me was the media’s way of displaying the article, revolving the whole scenario around what color skin the person wears

herefishyfishy
    MN

If Vang had problems with his gun that would be a good time to flee. Not attack and stab him in the face and neck. Very sad situation!!

ARCH
    southern minnesota

Quote:

If Vang had problems with his gun that would be a good time to flee. Not attack and stab him in the face and neck. Very sad situation!!

That is easy to say sitting at the computer, but what would go through your head in the same situation in the heat of the moment.

lunker651
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I would run for sure, if I had been shot on both hands already. What’s weird was that he told the officer that when vang shot him on the hand he laugh at vang, Will anybody be laughing when they just got shot on their hand? Nichols story is somewhat mess up and I hope he gets what he deserve, Life without parole.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

well , from my exp from being shot ! i was a recovery agent for many years and took 2 40 cal shots 1 to the gut and 1 in the chest , lucky for me i survived . but after something like that explain why i drove 6 miles to the hospital my self and walked in the hospital myself , adreniline !!!!! it can make you do weird things i believe that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thats why we have a judicial system , and a reasonable doubt law …..leave it in the hands of the jury . my opinion he’ll get scared before any trial and cop a plea !!!!!!!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After reading the official complaint I have formed my opinions on the case. Nichols obviously knew he was in deep trouble. He hid the body, went home and traded his shotgun for a pellet gun, and obviously didn’t call for help The odds are stacked against him pretty high just on what he said in his statements. It would not suprise me one bit if he shot himself in the hands to help with a fabricated story. But, he will get his day in court and the jury will have the undaunting task of the outcome

FRIVERS2

A few notes. The jury is now deliberating and a verdict will likely come as soon as tomorrow. The libs have been complaining because the jury is all white, but nonetheless I have changed my mind and think the guy will be found guilty.

No one mentioned this, but my understanding is these guys were squirrel hunting.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Well Marinette, WI is about 98% white. Makes it a little tough not to have a white jury.

rushing
    Mn

If the guy is found guilty then he deserves maximum extent of the law.

On a side note I sure would like to see English be mandatory to get any sort of license. Its just not safe to be in an English speaking country and not be able to communicate, whether its driving a car or handling a firearm, regardless if the regulations are written in that persons primary language. I’m not saying even if this guy knew English the situation could have been avoided but being able to communicate couldn’t have hurt the situation.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.