Eagles and where you live.

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Saw one sitting on the side of 40th St SW in Rochester yesterday feeding on a deer carcass.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They sure are a success story.

I was deer hunting I don’t recall exactly where..but I’m thinking it was around Cass Lake in the ’70’s.
    As I was walking back to the road, I came upon a fella leaning up against a tree…He told me that I had to take a differant way out of the woods because I was headed towards an eagles nest and not allowed in that area. There were signs on the road and in the woods but of course I didn’t see them. I believe he said there were tickets and fines for going through there.

Do you think their come back was due to the banning of DDT or other things?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quite a few years back outside of Rawlings, WY there was a place where a large group of eagles hung out. It was I beleive in the Great River Basin. The eagles had nests in the rocky plateaus. I can remember standing on the deck of the oil rig, 50 some feet in the air and watching the eagles fly. At that time, that was the most eagles I have ever seen until moving to WI.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Here is some more. I can remember my Dad talking about the big falisy of DDT when I was a kid. When I was in Alaska in the 70’s I can remember talking to a
    retired military guy who was a guide and hated eagles. He prided himself on shooting them in the air. “poof” nothing but feathers.
    Glad to see today’s mentality is a litte better and they are around to see. Mankind has a bad habit of killing things off that don’t fit our “norm”.
    web page

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Quote:

Saw one sitting on the side of 40th St SW in Rochester yesterday feeding on a deer carcass.

I saw one flying over 7th st NW two weekends ago when we where at paws and claws.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Has anyone else noticed all the eagles around the 94 bridge crossing over to Wisconsin? The last 2 nights on the way home from work (around 5:30) there has been more than 10 of them sitting on the ice south of the bridge. You see them quite a bit more when the river starts to open up. At one point last year, there must have been close to 50 of them on the ice. I’m guessing they must be eating dead minnows or something. Pretty cool though.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

There are also alot of Eagles around the Blackdog area in Burnsville. There is a huge nest on the north side of the river just east of the power plant. It is a fun place to take the kids to look at wildlife. There are huge flocks of waterfowl that winter in Blackdog lake too. From Mergansers to Buffleheads.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The LaCrosse area is filling up again with eagles. Now that the water is quickly opening up, they can feed on the dead shad as well as pick off fresh fish that are coming to the surface. They are a neat sight

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I actually spotted 2 Golden Eagles earlier this winter…
    At first I thought they were young baldys…but they were too big!!!!
    COOL!!!!

ozzyky
    On water

I was in some backwaters on upper pool 4 yesterday and I saw at least 60 baldies and many young juvenilles too! AWESOME sight considering the fishing was horrible.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.