Eagles and where you live.

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

What is the population of the Eagles in your area and what is keeping them there?

My wife and I were in Arcadia, WI area on Sunday. We were just a few miles out of town and my wife counted 23 of them. There was a chicken coop nearby, thus the abundant population. However, there weren’t any Eagles when I grew up in the area. My Uncle told me Buffalo and Trempeleau counties had the highest counts, and what we saw for numbers was nothing.

shane huskey
    holmen wi

I travel up and down the Miss a lot form Lacrosse to Lake city. I think there is a great population of birds inbetween there. It really depends on the time of year. Weather that makes sense or not does not matter to me i only know what i see.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My rear is parked at Everts Resort by Redwing. Near as I can tell there are about 10 down here over winter. LOTS of open water, fish, ducks and geese.

A couple years ago I video taped an eagle just south of Reids Landing MN…when I got home and started to do some slow motion video editing, I found there were hundreds in the trees across the river. I didn’t know it at the time, but I saw more eagles that day than the total seen in my life!
    Open water keeps them there also.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

covel park in redwing has tons of them last I knew.
    fun to watch

roscoe
    So St Paul

I have seen several on pool 2 in the hog lake pigs eye area . At least three nesting sites that i know of. The last time my brother Dino and myself were fishing the south end of the airport we had 2 juveniles sitting in the trees of the island watching us fish. They kept it up until a 3rd juvenile flew by with a fish in his mouth , then they chased him down the river. It reminded us of the lottery commercial where the eagle drops a nice Walleye into the guys boat .No such luck for us that day. There is also a nesting pair on the north end of keller lake right next to highway 36 I also had one fly right over me on 394 in mpls one morning

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Speaking of that commercial…Wasn’t it a IDA Pool 2 zealot that caught that fish?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I know theres a pair between my place and Tuckners. Alittle closer to the river though.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Really? Where?
    I know of the one in Buffalo, and the one by the TI turn…

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

Recently visited Lock and Dam 13 in Fulton, IL. The only open water was below the rollers. There were so many eagles in the air, on the ice and in the trees it would have been difficult to get an accurate count. Two ladies on the observation deck said they had counted 123. Regardless, there were many and worth the trip. Interestingly, on Christmas Eve day there was little ice and one lonely eagle present.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I didn’t know it at the time, but I saw more eagles that day than the total seen in my life!

Same here. We saw maybe a handful in Alaska. Didn’t know there were so many in one area. I stopped the car and took pictures and they didn’t mind my presence.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Saw 2 flying in SAnd Coulee this pm.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Do they have a nest back in there? That would be cool for the kids to see if they do!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

That I’m not sure about,but there was a pair of them. Also see them once in a while when going over the bridge to the north of town. I think there’s a nest in Kings Cove…….

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Over the last three years there has been a pair nexting over the Red River of the North around Grand Forks, ND. Its great when you can anchor, fish and watch these great birds.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

once again come to Nebraska there are a lot of Bald eagles that winter here on the platte they have a viewing place. I think it is around Lexington area Walleye4 or one of them guys from around there might know how many that birds thy claim are there. I do now I see plenty driving out that way

cb2
    Bemidji, MN

clearwater lake has a couple nesting on the southeast corner. those are the only ones i know of around here.

milacsgal1
    bloomington mn

I saw 5 eating something on the ice on cove bay on millacs

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

My front yard one snowy day. Anytime the river gets too tough for the eagles to fish, they head up the bluffs, usually in November, they cleanup the woods of anything they can find. And they do love the areas that have poultry.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

another shot

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Actually there are a few nesting areas here in the Annandale, South Haven area. Southeast corner of Clearwater is an area with a couple nests then over on Lake Augusta there is a nest on the South shore straight out from the rivers mouth leading west and then there is another nest on Augusta over in the Southwest corner in a bay there. Then down hwy 24 by LC block there has been nests on the highlines but this year those nests were removed by someone. Probably in fear of damage to the lines.. But it is a beautiful site seeing such massive birds soaring the skys above..

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

This is really low class photography, used the spotting scope in front of the digital camera, hence the circle on some of them.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

another one

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

2jranch~
    Thanks for sharing the photos those are awesome…

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

one more

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

hope no one’s bored yet………probably all sleeping, that’s why I can get away with this.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Awesome pics 2jranch! Thanks for sharing. Great idea with the spotting scope.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

went to check out river sunday at lock 18 and saw 300-400 eagles. have heard guys working at the locks have estimated as many as 600 at times.
    you can get really close to them too. walked under a couple of baldies that were only about 20 feet up in a tree. plenty of awesome photo ops.
    btw, the river is froze the closest to the dam rollers that i have seen. gonna be a while before any boats launch there.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don’t know how many are around right now but know theres some on the river bottoms. A few years ago we had a hard freeze that went close to the dam and i counted close to 100 in just under a mile right along the river. Theres quite a few eagles around all the river and creek bottoms from here in Cedar Rapids to the mississippi river about 85 miles to the east.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Earlier this year while I was trapping on pool 7, everyday I was in the middle of 100’s of eagles sitting and feeding on the ice. They were eating all the dead ducks that were exposed. The other day I was fishing an area with open water real close by and I got to watch quite a few eagles sitting in the trees and swooping down to grab a meal from the water. In the LaCrosse area there are so many eagles it would be impossible to count them all. They have sure made a remarkable comeback

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

This is really low class photography, used the spotting scope in front of the digital camera, hence the circle on some of them.

Better than the pictures I took. Good thinking on the spotting scope.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.