Dog keeps shaking his head

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

My black lab seems to be continually shaking his head. (like he’s shaking water). He doesn’t shake his whole body, just seems to be his head.

I plan on taking him in after work, but have you guys run into this before? Possible ear infection or something?

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My guess would be ear mites. We had a dog with ear mites that constantly shook his head, medicine will take care of it.

Ed

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Slop, Ear infection.

Smell his ears, you might be able to smell it. If not take a tissue and carefully wipe his inside ear and look for brown/black crap.

Don Hanson

I agree, something with his ears.

bluewing
    North Iowa

I have a lab with the same issue, have fought it off and on for years, vet has not been able to solve the problem, we’ve used different medications, our vet believes it may be an allergy.
    My advice get your buddy to the vet, and you might want to check/change the bedding in his dog house if the dog sleeps in one.

Good Luck

big_g
    Isle, MN

definite ear issue, or he disagrees with you alot…

big g

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Ear infection. Our black lab gets chronic ear infections, they can go from fine to seriously infected in a day… nothin like [censored] shooting out of the ears when they shake their head

The best medicine for our lab is some stuff from the vet called Ani-max? It comes in a orange and white tube. The vet will give you instructions how to clean the dogs ear.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

you can prevent taking him in most of the time by just paying attention to the ears, if it looks like the black/brown crap like lipripper stated is in there just wipe it out real good with a tissue, watch him and it will get better

I took my dog to the vet the first time but then got tired of paying $60 everytime to have a tech clean them out and then give me $2 in medicine

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Slop- It is an ear infection. My year old yellow lab just had the same thing. Vet gave her some meds and now she is fine. I am not sure the name of the meds though. Good luck but I don’t think it is anything the vet can’t fix.

John

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

We used to have the same issue with my Golden. It’s controlable but you need to keep an eye on there ears. We use a solution once a week when cleaning her ears. There have been nop issues since strarting this routine.

The stuff we use is over the counter. I will get the name and post it later.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Cleaning a dogs ears, you can use a solution of 1/2 vinegar and water, put it on a clean rag(nothing that is going to leave anything behind), and stick your finger in the rag and as far into the dogs ear as your finger will reach. You cant reach far enough to damage anything in the dogs ear with your finger. Do that ntil nothing comes out on the rag.

If your dogs ear is infected, your going to want antibiotics.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve been checking his ears and don’t see anything brown or gross inside….but doesn’t mean there isn’t something there I can’t see.

We’ll see what the doc says this afternoon. Thanks fellas

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

definite ear issue, or he disagrees with you alot…

big g

Maybe he is trying to tell you something on your lure selection?

Sorry Slop! Couldn’t resist!!!!

Good luck with getting your pooch right!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Slop, I agree with Gary. I don t think he likes using Scum Frogs in the Winter.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Must have finally figured out ……….you fish BASS!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Cleaning a dogs ears, you can use a solution of 1/2 vinegar and water, put it on a clean rag(nothing that is going to leave anything behind), and stick your finger in the rag and as far into the dogs ear as your finger will reach. You cant reach far enough to damage anything in the dogs ear with your finger. Do that ntil nothing comes out on the rag.

If your dogs ear is infected, your going to want antibiotics.

………………………My black lab has always fought ear infections,after cleaning with the above solution(I use a hemostats and cotton balls ) dry thouroghly then I cleans again with hydrogen peroxide, after drying , over the counter triple anti biotic ointment clears him up fast . He use to hate this treatment but after awhile he has learned that it actually feels good as he will just sit and let us help him

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

my vet gave me a product called Chlorhexi Derm Flush, it’s a cleansing/drying solution, topical antiseptic. it seemed to help my lab. needed to repeat cleaning a few times to get it under control. good luck to ya, hoistafish

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

maybe he’s a Bears fan?

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

My wife does the same thing every time I suggest a trip to Cabela’s.

Pete

pafollmer
    Brooklyn Center MN

Yeast infection, my female lab has this problem from time to time. Keep the ears clean, but go to the vet and get a prescription for an anti-biotic then refill at pet meds .com half the price as vets. There alot of good cleaners you can buy over the counter at any pet store. Squirt it in there ears and use a cotton ball to wipe out the gunk.

eyedoctor2

jldii

He’s in denial that he belongs to a Bass Fisherman!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

My black lab seems to be continually shaking his head.

Maybe he heard the report on Global Warming!!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Perhpas he took a good look at his owner and thought, “is this going to be the one in charge of me for the rest of my life?” No, no, no, no , no, no, nnnooooooooooo!

2Fishy4U

One thing you didn’t mention was the dog’s age. It may sound silly be I knew one young lab that did that for fun.

Aside from that, and I realize many have commented on this, but just clean his ears at least 4-5 times weekly. It only takes a few minutes and may help.

tiger81
    MN.

SLOP YES MY DADS LAB WAS DOING THAT A WHILE BACK AND IT WAS AN EAR INFECTION. IT SETS THERE EQUILEBRIUM OFF AND THEY SHAKE THERE HEAD.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

He’s in denial that he belongs to a Bass Fisherman!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.