Cold Fronts

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

So, when a cold front comes through… my past experience is that it does not always turn off EVERY species of fish. In fact, I recall many times when a cold snap hits, I have gone to a couple local lakes and still been able to pick up a few. Most noteably, It was -10 degrees and -35 with windchill. I hit a local lake for some pike action. After the first flag on a tip-up though, I pulled in a pike… and within seconds, was frozen to the point that I couldn’t even pull the hook out. At this point, I cut the line, packed up and went home.

So, what is your “go-to” fish when the weather turns?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I don’t have a go-to fish when the weather turns cold, but I have done very well through the ice in my area fishing for Walleyes and Sauger. I can recall many times freezing in my old sled wind-break and catching many nice sized fish.

Maybe I’ll get a chance to test that theory this weekend. It looks to be a peach of a weekend.

ericanelson
    Albertville

I also agree. Was at the Pond 2day. Went out of Hunters and did very well this afternoon. So well that we were able to have a few cocktails at Hunters by 4:00 ..Was nice enough out to fish outside and hole hop.

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

I guess I’m just not that hard up for fish that I would ever go sit on the ice in a portable in these temps . The big house is not a problem in these temps, but nobody ever wants to go out in these temps. The fish generally become very inactive, and I just don’t want to freeze the arce off!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.