Topographic Maps…

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I am doing a school project and I am wondering how topographic maps are made…I know Lakemaster is a site sponsor, Maybe a representative from there could explain in detail how exactly they get such presise depth ranges for all the lakes and rivers…I know a method, where you can use a grid system and lengths of string to measure depths through strategically driled ice holes, but obviously this method cannot be used to make large topo maps of a variety of areas..thats just simply too time consuming…So can somebody let me in on the secret…how is it done?

Thanks,
    Cade

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I believe the hire BrianK to go out trolling… and every snag he gets, they reduce the depth on the map

Just kidding..> I have no idea.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember a story on Back Roads or MN Bound w/Ron Schara where a boat is rigged with, for a lack of better words, out riggers. A series of GPS/depth finders along each out rigger record the depth at the specific location as the boat drives a parallel back and forth across the lake.

Does this seem to ring a bell with anyone?

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

I think is how it is done too. Thats why the lakes take awhile to get the 1 foot contours constructed.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

Cade,
    I am not sure of the exact method but last summer I was out on Castle-Rock lake. There was a DNR Pontoon boat on the lake. The guy driving the boat kept going back and forth between the river channel and the shore. He had a series of computers on the deck of the boat. Later that day I ran into him at the boat launch and asked him what he was doing. He told me that he was updating the lake contours for mapping purposes.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Cade:

I have some experience with this. I’ll shoot you a pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.