Mr Heater – up in flames

• John Luebker

Went out fishing this weekend and my little heater went up in flames. Has this happened to anyone else? If so did you contact Mr heater and was anything done about it?

I think I might shoot them an e-mail

blufloyd

Did the pilot stay lit??

Dang shanty ok? You ok? Dang…

John Luebker

What happened was the heater was up and running and then I heard it make a noise like the flame increased. so I reached down and turned it off. All looked fine for a couple seconds and then it started buring in the corner where the tank connects to it. I am guessing there was a leak where the tank connects and that caught fire. Anyway I flipped open the shack dumoed my minnow bucket on it and tried some snow then I just throw it far enough away that if it exploded it wouldn’t hurt anyone. Quite the way to start the morning.

The shack and myself are alright, just out a heater now. Wonder if Mr heater company will do anything. Only a couple years old and only use it for ice fishing so not a lot of where and tear on it.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Looks like a Buddy Heater to me?

I would contact the manufacturer and let them know…they did have a big recall on them a year ago….

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I think there was a recall on some of there models.

Eeek scary looking, glad mine is in the closet with a clogged line….

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Wow! Seeing that makes me glad I still use the old relaible styles. I don’t know that I’d switch anytime soon after seeing that picture, gives me the shivers. No pun intended. Certainly send a note to the company and make sure you follow that up with a phone call. I hope they send you a new one and maybe some clean skivves!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

That can happen when you don’t have the propane bottle screwed in all the way.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Im glad nobody got hurt. Any heater is subject to fail, especially when they are banged around during transport. I havent heard of any failures on the regular buddy heaters that resulted in fires myself.. I dont think its very common considering about a billion ice fishermen use them. I know the big buddies have issue with shutting themselves off for just about any reason.

Im curious why it happened? Loose threads, poor seal on the propane cylander maybe? Maybe the cylander was over tightened/faulty part and something cracked when the cylander was screwed in, or something failed when it was being transported with a cylander in it?

Scary stuff.. either way, I am just glad nobody got hurt wheather it was equipment, or operator error.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i got the big buddy and i just hooked up a small tank 11lb with a fuel filter and ive been running that religously for 2 yrs , never had a problem … sorry to hear about the loss ,good thing noone was hurt …. start making phone calls and fireing off emails till you get a response . something should be done …..

John Luebker

I got a call from the Mr heater company this morning and they said they are going to have fedex pick up the burnt one and issue me a replacement.

I thought that was pretty cool. He did say I was suppose to find a serial number on the back. I looked but did not have any luck. I told him if it wasn’t etched in the metal I wouldn’t be able to find it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.