Baitcaster and Spinning Reel Question

• cav90
    Chisago City, MN

I received a new abu garcia baitcaster from wife for my birthday and as I was looking at I realized that when I fish with a baitcaster I reel right handed but when I fish with my spinning reels I reel left handed. How many of you change the hand you reel with depending on the type of reel used? Just wondering if I’m the only one or if this is common.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I do the same thing. Tried to use a left had baitcaster but that didn’t work for me.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I do the same thing. Tried to use a left had baitcaster but that didn’t work for me.

I tried putting the spinning reel handle on the right side, and it didn’t feel right. Although, I am mostly ambidextrous…

shayla

Same here! Not sure why I do that, just always have.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I reel with my right hand for both bait casters and spinning. I’m left handed and like the rod in my left hand.

-J.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I cast right handed, reel left with both bait and spinning reels. I always told my buddys they were goofy because they switched hands with a bait caster (cast right handed, reel right), turns out I am the odd ball. My arguement for not changing hands though: I have more hookset power with my right hand (naturally right handed), so I’d rather be reeling with my left. It make sense, at least to me.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I am the same way, if the reel is above the rod, the crank has to be on the right for me… left if underneath.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this.. if you cast with the right, and reel with the right, its a bit more difficult to fish sinking lures above the weeds/etc.. you have to switch hands before reeling. On the other hand, targeting large species, you dont need the finess coordination of your dominant hand(right handed people) for still fishing, or working a large lure… having the crank on the right, your right hand/arm also has more stamina for fishting/landing big fish.. you dont get tired cranking for a period of time. Our left arm works fine for pulling on a fishing rod.

I will eventually train myslef in to fish either way with a baitcaster.. just for the purpose of throwing pike lures in shallow weeds.

Now jigging for walleyes.. the fishing pole has to be in the dominant hand.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I reel both spin and bait with my right hand.

I can cast with either hand though.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

duckilr,

You may be the oddball but you aren’t the only one!
    I’m with you, rod in right hand, reel with left for all
    setups.
    I guess part of this comes from always running a tiller
    and having to steer with my left hand. I like to keep
    my left hand free to maneuver the boat or to throw it in
    neutral and net the fish.
    I’m right handed and feel more comfortably with the rod
    always in my right hand.

dan

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I reel with my right hand for both bait casters and spinning. I’m left handed and like the rod in my left hand.

Like Jon said but I’m the opposite since I’m right handed

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I do the same thing. Was thinking about this the other day. I’m right handed and love the rod in my right hand but my baitcasters are all reeled with the right hand and spinning reels with the left.

cweber01

I have to have the rod in my right (strong) hand. Doesn’t matter if the reel is above or below. I could not fight the fish with the rod in my left hand. I always buy “left” handed baitcasters, but in my mind, I am fighting the fish with my strong hand. At least now more an more reels are coming out with left hand retrieve.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

HERE’S A IDEA, GO WITH WHAT EVER TRIPS YOUR TRIGGER
    I’M ALL OVER THE PLACE, REEL LEFT SPINNING , REEL RIGHT CASTING, GUN SHOOT LEFT EYE, BOW SHOOT RIGHT EYE,PLAYING BALL THROW RIGHT, BAT LEFT.

BUT THEN AGAIN, MY DAD ALWAYS SAYS HE THOUGHT THE DOCTOR DROPPED ME ON MY HEAD WHEN I WAS BORN

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Spin left, baitcast right. Tried a left baitcaster, didn’t work well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.