Fishing Line

• rwm419
    Illinois

Needing some info on Berkley Ironsilk fishing line….got a couple rods and reels for Christmas….i have fireline on my other reels but was looking at the Ironsilk line…..is it simialr to fireline in performance…..toughness…..and do you have to back it with mono on the reel before spooling……..any info would be greatly appreciated,,thanks

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It’s more like mono than a superline. Also, it gets really stiff in the cold.

shayla

Quote:

It’s more like mono than a superline. Also, it gets really stiff in the cold.

Yeah, and it likes to BREAK a lot, too!

If it’s green mono you are looking for, go with Trilene Solar Sensation. Otherwise, I’ve heard some good stuff about the Suffix lines. Speaking from experience, if you do any cold-weather fishing, IronSilk gets brittle and tends to break on a good hook-set….no good!

tmskulski
    Hager City WI

I have several spools that i can’t give away if you want to waiste your time. Really no good in winter for sure but spring and summer it is nice to visually see the fish hit.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Argueably the worst Berkley line developed in recent years…Get some Sufix Elite for all round performance and small dia. or Siege for xtra abrasion resistance/strength…but larger dia.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I don’t have much good to say about the ironsilk, either. It does like to break a lot. You might take a look at the Sufix line. I tried a bunch of it this past year, and I liked it a LOT. The lighter Sufix Elite is great for crappie and walleye, and the tougher Sufix Siege (15x more abrasion resistant than Elite) is great for your baitcaster.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

you cant iron silk it will melt
    go with the Suffix line they have mentioned above
    you will be very happy spring ,summer, fall or winter

CentralBassman

Yea them guys are right Berkley makes some good products but SUFFIX is the way to go for line. I have used it for about two years know and loved it. It cast great, has good straight and in the winter it doesn’t get hard like other lines. I use alot of the Elite on my spinning reel and it works like a dream!!!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I’ve never used Iron Silk, but I have just started using suffix and I really like it. I’ve been using Tangerine for pitching in 8lb, and smoke color for jigging.

Jami

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m not happy with the Suffix in the cold. Get’s too stiff in my opinion. I’m sticking with the Sensation.

-J.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Ironsilk is HORRIBLE!!! If you want a line that you can see and trust, try some Stren Hi-Vise. It is super strong, very flexible and is extremly easy to see strikes with

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.