Crawler Pickin’ Time!!!

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Man, I plucked up about 5 dozen last night and hope to get another 10 dozen tonight!!! Within the next few days I will have enought to last me through July.

The rain comming in will have them swimming in the grass tonight!

Get out there, it’s like finding money laying in the yard.

Jon J.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Jon J.
    One problem……..you need to first wait for the frost to get out of the ground. I’m still waiting for spring up here at Mille Lacs. Save some for me……..

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

A big 10-4 to that Bobber!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I spent about an hour picking and got at least 100 yard snakes in the bucket! I’m going back out in a while.

Spring will be up your way soon guys!

Jon J.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Jon J.
    Please don’t use the S word as I don’t like snakes………

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

This morning , after I got off of work I went out looking for these “Snakes” and boy did I hit the jackpot !! All I had to put them into was my little playmate lunch cooler. Boy was my wife excited when I came home and she opened it !!!

I figured I got about 400 in about an hour….I went right to Wally-World and picked up a worm farm box and set them up this afternoon. If anybody has got a small dorm fridge give me a shout, because my wife isn’t gonna let me keep them in the fridge to long…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hey Dave, I’ve got a dorm fridge in the basement you can keep them in so long as I can pilfer when necessary.

Oh — you meant one that I’d be willing to part with, didn’t you. My bad.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dave,

check you favorite want adds for a Regular sized used fridge if you have the room it will be cheaper than a small dorm fridge, you might even be able to find a free one. Besides crawlers I also keep a 10 gallon bucket with minnows they will keep a long time, the ones I have now I have had for over two weeks. I keep this extra frig in my basement. I even have room left over for some of my favorite beverages

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Yea , Well , I don’t have room in my basement !!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

It’s pretty amazing how long they will last. I have a few dozen left over from last Fall (October) before we went to Rainy River. I have them in a Frabil worm farm and feed them worm food…some are HUGE and now that I’ve had them so long I almost hate to use them. It’s dark outside, maybe I’ll just go 9out and mozy around, see if I can spot any new ones this evening. Do you guys use a red light? It seems they don’t spook with that color light but maybe there is a better trick. Anybody care to share?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Must be nice. We don’t have them in my Woodbury neighborhood. Likely becasue they stole all the topsoil when they developed it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dave you could always put it in your back yard and slap a lock on in Your wife would not mind

Walyecrappie
    Duluth

Well I was inspired and got of my lazy butt and went out and picked some crawlers. I didn’t think any would out up here in Duluth. Well it turns out I was wrong. I caught about two and a half dozen. My sister helped alittle and holded the bucket for me props to her for that. I would have caught alot more but it started to get alot colder and I was getting bretty wet from the rain. I have a questin will Crappies eat a crawler?

Brian Lyons

You bet crappies will eat a crawler!! Cast a small Panther Martin spinner,(size 0)with a small piece of crawler to your favorite crappie spots. Add a split shot if depth requires it.

This will also take nice gills on those days when nothing else works….Good Luck…..B

crappiedoer

do like i do . i go to target to get mine (the parking lot)
    early in the morning when no one is there.
    get 100’s on the blacktop.
    vern

Walyecrappie
    Duluth

Thanks for the advice Big B! I am heading to a crappie hole of mine I will be sure to try it thanks!

Brian Lyons

Let it sink on a tight line and retrieve slowly,just fast enough to turn the blade. It works!!!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Here is a technique that I learned from Grampa Maves..
    He buries an old cooler on the north end of his house so the top is level with the top of the ground…
    He drills holes in the bottom of it and then put a screen over the holes…. he puts in wet newspapers, leaves and a little black dirt, coffee ground or whatever else organic food he finds and when he picks crwlers he puts them in the cooler.,…. works great all summer if it gets to a dry spell in the weather he just puts the hose to them for a spell and they get all the moisture they need and stay cool enough…
    I just used a plasic bucket….but things to remember when you are digging the whole…. put a layer of rocks in the bottom of the whole before you fill the dirt in on the sides and even a layer of sand wouldn;t be bad…. this keeps the cooler or bucket from filling with water and drowning your crawlers..
    also make sure you punch holes on the top of the cooler or if you are gonna use a bucket make a lid with holes….. you need a lid if you have skunks, coons, slamanders, etc,,, that like to get a free lunch….
    This outdoor method works great if you gotta good spot to do it and the wife won’t freak out about the worms in the house…. They really do stay along time… even in the fall he would cover it with a little straw and continue to use it until the crwlers were used up….. hope this helps

herb
    6ft under

mavzer has a good idea there Dave if you can’t find that fridge.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks Mavzer. !! I’ll have to give this a shot….That crawler farm I bought from Wally~World,,,the first morning I got up to check on them the must have been 1 dozen out and about !!!!

I have them out in the shed with some weight on the lid now….sneaky little devils….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.