summer vacation

• chippee
    sw wi

time to start looking at ideas for a summer trip with the family. we like to spend a week in a cabin on a lake and have bounced around a few different places in northern wi but so far have only found fair fishing conditions although i know its hard to go to new water once a year and have great success were still looking for ideas thinking of maybe lake wissota in wi or lake kabetogama in mn we generally like to chase walleyes on our trip and maybe take a day or two to strike out and do the tourist thing. was just wondering if anyone has any experience on these lakes or maybe another area worth checking out.

jhalfen

We have terrific multispecies angling on Wissota, with excellent walleye and smallmouth opportunities, as well as strong musky, northern, and crappie populations. Click over to our Wissota forum for a taste of what the lake has to offer. If you want some more specific information, drop me a PM.

Wissota forum

Summer Wissota report 1

Summer Wissota report 2

Summer wissota report 3

(Make sure that you show more than just the last 3 months of posts…you can change that towards the bottom of the window).

2Fishy4U

Stick with Northern, Mn. I live just north of Milwaukee and for most of my life we would head for Northern, WI. The lakes are smaller and the crowds bigger, especially the Chicago Group.

About five years ago we decided to move on and our first trip was to Mahkwa Lodge in Lac Suel, Canada. The lodge is on an Island and we boated out. The fishing was great, but the trip took two days, and the accommodations were not good. So we decided to try Rainy Lake from the Minnesota side. The lake is hugh, the fishing was good and we are returning this year.

My one suggestion is that if you go with Rainy, especially in mid-summer, hire a guide. It is not Canada, but far better then Northern Wisconsin.

I am sure there are other places in Minnesota that would also be nice, so hoping to hear from others.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Always Ely Best fishing and hospitality in the state

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Look into the Park Rapids area of Mn also. Been going there for 6-7 years and it is great. If you want more info just PM me.

Ron

assman1
    S E Wi.

wierd I just said the same thing to my wife just before I went on the internet tonight. Minnesota sounds very interesting, hopefully someone will post some links or websites we can check out for some cottages or even better would be houses on some of those lake that are available to rent. (hint hint!)

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I go to Pelican Lake in Crow Wing County every year for 10 days with the family. It has good multispecies fishing and it is great for the kids. Gull Lake is also very close if you wanted to fish a different body of water. Pelican has beautiful crystal clear water for 18 – 25 ft. It varies on the time of year. We always go the same time of year so the fishing pattern seems to stay fairly consistant. If you get bored Brainerd is about 20 minutes away and Reeds Sports is a great place to stop if you need anything.

Good luck.

FDR

jbb
    Minneapolis area

Lake Vermillion “Life O Riley” resort, quiet, crappies….sunnies…bass…northerns…walleyes…& muskys in one bay

carphunter
    SE IOWA

Park Rapids, Mn area is great, Mantrap Lodge on Big Mantrap. Finn and Feather Resort on Lake Andrusra (Cass Lake Chain of lakes). Been to both great people, great fishing would recomend either to anyone with faimly. Both have pools and bike riding trails.

Good luck

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

hopefully someone will post some links or websites we can check out for some cottages or even better would be houses on some of those lake that are available to rent.

I could post links to many BUT without knowing the part of the state you would like makes it hard.
    Here is a link to my favorite family get-a-way
    IF you have an area in mind I can/will get you the info.

Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.