What’s this crap now???

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

What’s this crap that the U of M will only play UND in hockey because of their nickname??? What a bunch of bedwetters the U of M is!(EXCEPT THE HOCKEY PROGRAMS!)

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It is pretty wishy-washy for sure. Either you play them or you don’t. They are not really making a strong case here.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Don’t hold back. How do you really feel.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Well for crying out loud! You don’t hear the PETA crying foul because your using the names of animals!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Chappy…. easy there hoss! We encourage you to try and make your point but please do so without all the labels and name calling.

I didn’t catch this story and from your posts I’m still not sure what you’re talking about. Can you fill us in with a link or a explaination of the story?

Thanks.

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

Relax Chappy, it’s just the U’s way of avoiding another embarrassing loss to a division 2 school.

~SKINEBOY~

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Sorry James and everybody…Having a bad day and stuff like that burns my

I’ll try to link it,but never done it on here before.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

From wcco.com

U Of M Stands Firm, Won’t Play ‘Fighting Sioux’
    (AP) Grand Forks, N.D. The University of Minnesota’s athletic director said the school has not strictly enforced a 2003 policy that discourages games with teams using American Indian nicknames and mascots. But that’s about to change, according to Joel Maturi, university athletic director.

Maturi said his school won’t compete against the University of North Dakota in any sport except men’s and women’s hockey because of UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname.

Maturi said the policy won’t affect other schools in the University of Minnesota system, such as Crookston and Duluth.

North Dakota Athletic Director Tom Buning said Minnesota’s decision won’t affect the school’s Division One plans, adding that it is unfortunate that student athletes won’t get the chance to play Minnesota.

Jim Antes is a member of UND Intercollegiate Athletic Committee who said the Fighting Sioux nickname may be — in his words — “closing doors.”

UND and Minnesota are in the same hockey league. But the schools have not played each other in men’s basketball since 1983 and have played just one women’s basketball exhibition game since 1985.

(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Thanks Jon!

2Fishy4U

Fighting Sioux seems like a nickname I would be proud of and I cannot understand why anyone would boycott a school’s athletics based on that name.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Maturi needs to go, he can take Mason, Mchale and Brad Johnson with him.

Oh, and take Sid with you too.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Oh, and take Sid with you too.

AMEN!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Fighting Sioux seems like a nickname I would be proud of and I cannot understand why anyone would boycott a school’s athletics based on that name.

Agreed! What a bunch of bologna. They can all eat

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I am a gopher fan through and through but….I must agree with all of you….I don’t understand.

I would think that having a sports team named after a native american tribe would be an honorable thing not degrading.

I think it is a poor decision on the U of M’s part to boycott UND for the name.

Good thing gopher’s can’t talk…they would probably be ticked about being called Golden by the U of M.

Seriously…aren’t there more important/productive things in this world to take on than forcing a school or professional team to change their name.

Go Gophers!!! For now….before the animals start complaining.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Forgive me if I am wrong but it states that they have not played in any other sporting events other than hockey in the last 20 years. This is a vary Matturi Like not being able to take a stand for anything. If he wanted to make a stand why still play the Hockey games. The name is fine by me as it was a Native that designed the Logo. How much more support from the Natives there do you need. Maybe I am missing something as I have only read this post but it looks like things are going to go on the same as they have for the last twenty years

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Hockey is arguably the biggest money making sport the U of M has. Of course they do not want to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think making an announcement like this brings more negative feelings out of people than the name itself!
    How do you justify this?

eyebuster
    Duluth

Quote:

Hockey is arguably the biggest money making sport the U of M has. Of course they do not want to cut off their nose to spite their face. I think making an announcement like this brings more negative feelings out of people than the name itself!
    How do you justify this?

There is no Justification for this kind of announcement. Believe me I love playing UND and the fans I have seen from there are great. Who does he think he is saying that they will not play a team because of their name. That is up to the NCAA and the courts to determine if a name change is in order. I believe their name is fine and should be kept. Maturi should be gone!!

big_fish_guy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

How do you justify this?

exactly, what a joke. “we are going to ban our games with you, except for the ones that will hurt our pocketbook.”

What a joke.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The real question to all of this is:

Are the Souix offended by the name?

If the Souix are not offended, then the whole subject is mute.

However, if my memory and undstanding serve me right, the name comes from the history of the nation and is not meant to be derogatory.

So again, if the Souix tribe of this nation in ND are not offended by the reason for ND to carry this name……….Then it is of no business to anyone else, in any state of any race, creed, color, or religion.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

G-

The tribe apparently made a deal with the school many years ago for $$$. The tribe said they wanted money in exchange for the use of the name. The tribe now claims no money has been paid to date and they want the school to change the name. Its not about pride, heritage or history. Its about extortion. Its simply a fricken joke and the NCAA is stepping aside.

IOWABOY

what is hockey? is that where you don’t go to school when you are supposed to?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

That is up to the NCAA and the courts to determine if a name change is in order.

Quote:

Thats pretty much where it’s at right now.

The NCAA Executive Committee implemented a policy against “hostile and abusive” American Indian nicknames, mascots and imagery.

ND is appealing and recently in court was granted a stay of execution.

NICKNAME.

IOWABOY

what the heck is hockey? is that where you play sick from school?

roscoe
    So St Paul

To quote Skank Marden from MYSTERY ALASKA, “I play hockey and i fornicate because they are the two most fun things to do when its cold outside” , no offense to ice fisherman because thats fun too. anyway I have long wondered about all the fuss about indian names for sports teams . I guess i have always looked at it as being an honorable view of the sioux,but then i am not indian. If i remember my history classes they were mostly a peace loving people , but they could kick butt when the mood hit them. It could be worse , or has everyone forgot about that professional sports team from our nations capital ? I guess money does talk.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I played football against them during the college days. If I remember correctly before all home games, they have an announcement that says something like

“We honor the heritage of the Sioux and understand the great heritage of the people who inhabited this land, etc. etc. etc. “

I tried to find the real statement on line, but could not. It is a very respectable statement.

It is also my understanding is it is not the local Sioux tribe who has problems with it, but it is the other tribes that feel it is durogatory.

And for the record, My name is Bill so I cannot justify the football team from Buffalo useing my name in a durogatory manner.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

From what I heard, the reason they are allowed/must play them in hockey is that if they do support the banlike the othersports they would need to find another league to go to since they are both in the WCHA. Well they could always forfier the games against the Souix in hockey then that way the sports are square across the board .

Jeff

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Quote:

What’s this crap that the U of M will only play UND in hockey because of their nickname??? What a bunch of bedwetters the U of M is!(EXCEPT THE HOCKEY PROGRAMS!)

I feel they should be consistent with Hockey too…they can simply forfeit those games with UND to make their point.

(well…I’m a Badger fan…Hee, hee, hee)

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I just got fully caught up on all of this.

It is rediculous!

If they are against the “Fighting Souix”,
    what about the Fighting Irish?
    what about the Fighting Illini?
    What about the Spartans?
    The Vikings?
    The Cleveland Indians
    The Washington Redskins
    The Oakland Raiders?
    The Texas Rangers?

This is very sad……..

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

There is an atricle in Pioneer Press this morning about this. It doesn’t sound like this was Maturi’s decision. It was the UofM Advisory Committee on athletics decision. Not to say Maturi has done a good job as AD.

Here is the article:

Quote:

U’s decision to avoid Sioux, except in hockey, surprises N.D.
    BY MARCUS R. FULLER
    Pioneer Press
    University of North Dakota athletics director Tom Buning said he was surprised Tuesday that the University of Minnesota has decided not to compete against UND in any sport except men’s and women’s hockey because of the school’s Fighting Sioux nickname.

The University Minnesota’s Advisory Committee on Athletics asked the Gophers athletic department to “make every effort to avoid scheduling home events with schools that use American Indian mascots” in an approved policy in 2003.

But North Dakota hadn’t been excluded from competing against the Gophers until recently, Buning said. He said Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi understood the equal benefit from having the schools meet, especially with North Dakota’s proposed move to NCAA Division I in the fall of 2008.

Minnesota and North Dakota haven’t met in men’s basketball since 1983 and have met only once in women’s basketball since 1985. In addition to being rivals in men’s and women’s hockey as members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, they compete in swimming, cross country and track and field meets.

Events between the schools already scheduled for this school year will take place.

Buning said he spoke to Maturi last week after a few UND coaches contacted him about being unable to schedule any competition against the Gophers.

“(Maturi) was looking to eliminate any hurdles,” Buning said. “We have a lot of alumni and current students from Minnesota, and a significant number of them live in the Twin Cities. It was a little bit of a disappointment to hear of the committee’s decision.”

Maturi, who was unavailable for comment Tuesday, asked the advisory committee to loosen the policy at a Nov. 2 meeting, but the board strongly agreed to strictly enforce it in all sports except hockey, because the schools are in the same conference, according a published report.

“I went to the committee, quite frankly asking them for a more permissive interpretation of the policy,” Maturi told the Grand Forks Herald on Monday. “I felt like it was a good opportunity for Minnesota, as well as for UND, to possibly play quite regularly in games other than hockey.”

Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa are Big Ten Conference schools with policies against playing nonconference teams with American Indian mascots.

The Fighting Sioux are among 18 mascots listed on the NCAA’s list of offenders, which includes the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. UND filed an injunction to be allowed to keep its Indian head logo temporarily, and the school is continuing a legal fight against the NCAA to display its logo in postseason play.

Buning said the school plans to go to court next September in hopes of starting the process to be removed from the list by the time UND moves to Division I.

Scheduling border games and starting rivalries against opponents such as Minnesota have been a big plus financially and in recruiting for North Dakota State, which moved to Division I in 2004. The school received $275,000 to play Minnesota in football this year.

“(NDSU) deserves a lot of credit,” Buning said. “It has set a high mark for us to try to achieve.”

Marcus R. Fuller can be reached at [email protected].

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

How does this change anything from last year? Don’t the Gophers only play UND in hockey anyway? Nothing will change then.

What happens if the gopher football decides to have a couple steller years and they end up playing the Florida Seminoles in the Rose Bowl. Will the gophers just not show up?

I would be embarrased if I was a Gopher alumni. You guys should all be writing letters to the University for their stupidity.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.