Favorite Concert of All Time!!!!

• hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

The Moody Blues at the Civic Center. (early 90’s?)

Casting Crowns at the Xcel August 2006 (Christian Rock)

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My very first concert, only a few older guys will know this one, was Brwonsville Station, Headeast, and Dakota. At the Fayette county fair,1977!!

Ed

shaley
    Milford IA

You calling me old Ed ??? Head East rocks

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I was referring more to Brownsville Shawn. I’d never call you old, although I’m sure there have been times you have felt that way.

Ed

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m with you fish them all. I am not sure which year was the best but one of em’ around ’98. Those festivals were great….lots of great bands and shows. Not to mention the camping too

Chris

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Head East ROCKS

I remember back in 1984, Night Ranger (yeah, I know not as cool as some other on this list) played in Rochester…We all went to Dooley’s afterwards, and guess who showed up, kicked the band off stage and ROCKED ON till closing…yup, Night Ranger. That was pretty cool….

Saw Heart and the Wilson Sisters in their prime too…sheesh, they sure knew how to make a date look ugly…hee hee

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I don’t know if I can make up my mind

It was definitely… Alice Cooper with Guns & Roses 10th row main floor Roy Wilkins Absolute phenomenal theatrics. Invited backstage. Absolutely giddy with excitement. Fred Coury from Cinderella was the drummer filling in for Steven Adler.

Wait..never mind that… Definitely Clash of the Titans tour.. Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and opener Alice in Chains front row for 6 hours full of dehydrating moshpit action.. bruised ribs on that one but well worth it.

Did I say Nuge ? It was Nuge.. All 3 times I saw him. He gave me his guitar pick on the Crave tour.

Wait.. It was Crosby Stills & Nash.. Philadelphia Ampitheater. It took us 7 hours to make a 3 hour drive to see the show because our driver Andrew had to stop every 30 minutes to chant some spells & burns some type of wicker scent stick.. after we got to the show.. he thought the stage was the devil & we we’re getting sucked into hell.

No hold on… It was Testament seeing guitar master Alex Skolnick..3rd row at the Met Center !! No.. Steve Vai…for sure.. with Eric Sardinas opening.. If you haven’t seen Eric Sardinas yet.. GET THERE ! Absolute insane slide blues master with insane amounts of overdrive.

Oh no.. It was John Prine. What a story teller. St Johns auditorium in St Cloud.

Wait !!! Aerosmith. Met Center – Anyone remember that ? Soon to be Bass Pro Shops…. by far the best show ever. Seen them twice. Absolute great times !

HOLD ON ! It was VAN HAGAR.. by far the most humbling moment standing in the same room with Eddie. Absolutely great. Did I mention I stood in the same place as Eddie ? Salute ! 5150 Tour by far smoked all the other performances.

Then there was Van Halen.. 1984 – Need I say more. Dave ranted for ever between songs.. What a showman. He was hammered. Shocker

No, No.. It was Bon Jovi.. Half Acoustic / Half Electric show.. What a show.. They played every one of their own songs plus others… exactly how I would have played them.

All together, I’ve been to, participated in, slept through or kissed through.. over 170 shows in my life.. great post !! Hopefully I can add some humor. I was a stagehand for several washed up 80’s acts. Slave Raider, Quiet Riot & Great White (pre-fire) to name a few

Rock on !!

Oh yeah, For the 1994 Pink Floyd show… I offered to trade my $200 guitar tuner to David Gilmours guitar for concert tickets but he didn’t go for it..He called me at the music store I worked at. I told him I would have delivered it !! Oh well.

elesar

The late, great, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Oh yeah, forgot Damn Yankees the night that Operation Desert Storm ended…Ted came back on stage, made an X-rated announcement declaring the end of the involvement, then played the Star Spangled Banner on the guitar….

jld
    Holmen

Ziggy Marley opened for Jimmy Buffet. Plenty of and other party favorites in the air that night, I think.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

walleye fishermen rock!!

i saw nugent for the first time in i think 1972 in a tiny packed gym at monmouth college, illinois. he obviously blew the place away.

while at u of illinois in the early 70s saw tull, moody blues and jefferson airplane – all fanfreakintastic. that was a rockin time for illiniwalli – the two hottest bar bands in champaign at that time were reo speedwagon and head east.

saw many others, but for some reason having a hard time remembering them….

shayla

Eagles farewell tour!

roscoe
    So St Paul

O K I’ll bite There were many but i would have to say a tossup between Michael Schenker at the Medina Ballroom where i was so close to the stage that i could have played Michaels guitar ( and did try a couple of times ) or Joe Satriani at the Cabooze both true guitar gods

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Three Dog Night at the Colisuem.

The Dooby Brothers before anybody new them, used to play in this little upstairs bar in Virgina Beach. Can`t remember the name. They tried to charge a two dollar cover and no one would pay it, at first.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

My favorite concert? anyone that really rocks! its funny how some artists change their style.. or maybe its just their desire… Im not picking on anyone… but Bruce Springsteen for instance.. one time I saw him he put on one of the greatest concerts ever.. and next time I saw him it was $100 per ticket.. he insisted that the audience stay seated and make NO noise!…. he didnt even have a band… just an acoustic guitar… man.. I can go to a coffee shop for that kinda performance.. I walked out… but boy.. was I
    I saw that metallica/kid rock concert.. THEY ROCKED!… Ive seen KISS.. down in Iowa back in the 70’s THEY ROCKED… I saw Meatloaf on his farewell tour in Iowa and HE ROCKED.. and then 2 days later in Minnesota.. and HE ROCKED but the audience DIDNT.. in fact Meat got said if he could get his 50 something axe up on the stage and rock hard.. the audience could AT LEAST stand up and make some noise!… WE actually had some twit of a lady tell us to SIT DOWN? and stop yelling? AT A ROCK CONCERT? lucky for her she was a lady (I just gave her a dirty look.. screamed louder and jumped higher).. I was primed to party…. sit down and shutup? I dont take that very well when Im ready to party…
    so that was a bad concert not cuz of Meat.. but the audience SUCKED they acted like they had all just got wheeled in from a nursing home or something or maybe a library?… but there HAS been a lot of great ones over the years… Kansas at the Iowa State Fair.. man.. those guys could rock….

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Three Dog Night , Waterloo Iowa in 1973. Man I’m getting old

2Fishy4U

Willie Nelson at Summerfest in Milwaukee; about 20 years ago. I am old.

sjh62
    On the border-Trempealeau

Pink Floyd Animals tour,Milwaukee County Stadium(1977).

A guy I worked with had a piece of the pig after it exploded.

2nd would be Dream Theater a few years back.Awesome,Mike was spot on.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Bush, The Toadies and Coup de grace at the 7th St Entry

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker Band, and Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Can you say redneck bonanza?! That was an outdoor concert in Peoria Ill. back in ’78, I think.

Close second was J Geils Band, on the “Love Stinks” tour. Rockford Ill. metro center. Local band called Cheap Trick opened for them. Great rock concert.
    Alan Jackson holds the mark for most stirring moment in a concert when I saw him perform his new release at the time, called “Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?”. Wow, what a song at a truly trying time!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’m with Rivereyes in that the crowd can make the show. Doesn’t even have to be the greatest band in the world, just the energy of the crowd, the place you’re at in life, how energetic the show is built up to be. First show ever was Air Supply in ’81 and last was the Bare Naked Ladies about two weeks ago at the X. Neither come anywhere close to my top five.

5) Tim McGraw with Kenny Chesney opening up in @ ’01
    4) Mellancamp – anywhere, anytime
    3) Garth Brooks – Target Center in @ ’94
    2) Stones – Dome in ’92

#1 for me was Huey Lewis on their ’84 Sports Tour, N. Dakota State Fair. Years later on the tonight show, he told Carson that was his best show ever. Time and place, it was quite an experience.

Good post!

jldii

I’ve seen a lot of groups in concert through the years. Many great shows…Allman Brothers, Alice Cooper, Zepplin, Stones (jamming with Lamont Cranston at the Cabooze), Eagles, Springsteen, and many more, but in hind sight, probably the best show I ever saw, and I didn’t even appreciate it at the time, was when I was young, and was taken to a concert with my parents. The band was some new young band from England…the Beetles!! Met Stadium, Bloomington, Minnesota. 1964

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

BY FAR THE VERY BEST CONCERT
    THE WIGGLES
    OK OK I have a very young daughter

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

yeah, I have also gotten into sesame street as well. they have some pretty good singers on that show as well.

shane

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

yeah, I have also gotten into sesame street as well. they have some pretty good singers on that show as well.

shane

Just when I thought there was hope for a bass guy like you….

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

YES!!! Gotta LOVE the Wiggles. If you have a young child or grandchild the Wiggles are tops. Their songs are VERY upbeat like the 50’s music and both kids and us bigger kids will love their music along with the other stuff too. [Guess you know what Makenzie [Nates 14 month old daughter] and I have been doing today while Nates working at HOF today]. Seriously, their music is great guys. Great stuff for both younger and older kids. Your little one will love it.
    Thanks, Bill

ps. Give her a few more years, ok maybe one more year, and ALSO the fishing tapes come out. She already grabs for my fishin rods so I know Nate is bringing her up right.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Dad you have to get out more

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I agree. As soon as its warm enough this spring for Makenzie to sneak out to Lake Zumbro with me while you are workin at HOF on Sundays we will. Don’t worry, we will be back home before you get off work so you will never know. Gee did I just think that outloud? OPPS!!!

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

don’t take my kid to catch all those rough fish
    she’s going to be one hell of a walleye slayin machine when im done with her

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

don’t take my kid to catch all those rough fish
    she’s going to be one hell of a walleye slayin machine when im done with her

Nate, between you, me, and her other grandfather who owns a resort on Mille Lacs those walleyes will be shaking at the mention of her name when we all get done with her. YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.