DILLEMA!!

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, I know you guys are probably sick of me whinning about this, but I’m looking for other points of view!

Some of you know I was offered a sales position with a big marine dealer. Well yesterday I was offered a job with Hennepin county to be a jailer. The attractiveness of making some big $$ intrigues me , but the security of the county job makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, especially with a family to support. The way companies are laying off scares the hell out me, what guarantees people will but boats if the economy goes sour?

I know it’s a “decision I have to make” and whatever “you feel is right” response, but will someone kick me in the and set me straight!! Also, I’m a very avid fisherman, will I get the time to do it or watch all the trailers head north while I look out the window surrounded by new boats? I’d actually have a very open schedule with the county. Thanks for reading guys, please fell free to lay it on the line!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you have a family Brian, it’s easy…do what’s best for your family.

Once your family had grown…do what you want to do!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I have two buddies in two different poilice depts. and they have the most incredible schedule for outdoorsman ! BUT not a very family/holiday or 9am-5pm friendly schedule .
    You have to be able to leave things at work also or your wonderful schedule won’t be so wonderful .
    That’s why I got a job selling apples and ciders…All I have to worry about is hail …RR

tmskulski
    Hager City WI

Not only was I a part of the recent layoff with Anderson windows but also a sponsered Polar kraft guy and I have a family and am now wondering how were gonna survive so i would say Family First

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Thanks RR! I grew up in I.G.H. by the way!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I had the opportunity to be in jail once …..Oh, sorry I read that wrong
    Know one can make up your mind for you. It is a decision you will have to make on your own. I can wish you the best of luck however

Bret

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

If the economy takes a dump sales go flat
    but there’s always going to be crime
    take the county job

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I think you should leave the sales job for Brian K… he can talk all day long and does a good job of kissing

The other job being a jailer… I would rather be kicking than kissing it.. but thats just me.

The benefits and job security would be the deciding factor for me.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Ive been in law enforcement for 10 years now..I love it but when i was a road cop low on senority…I had to work nights…weekends…and holidays..that will be the same in the jail at Hennepin..If you work 10 hour days as we do you get a lot of time off..for fishin huntin etc..but i believe jailers are 8 hour days..over all in the long run I think the union jailer job would be much better…you could always get your degree in C.J. and get behind the wheel as a Hennepin Co. Deputy if you take the jailer position as you should have preference points then…again lookin at long haul…take the jailer position…Jay

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Take Jailer job and wait and see how this Marine industry shakes out. It will take a few years. Better for family for now . Good luck

cogborn
    Prior Lake/Savage, MN

Brian P.
    I’m pushing 40 something. Oops, did I say that out loud. I’ve been working in the Computers Related, Technical Information Systems jobs for over 23 years. During my 23 plus years, 9 years were in the US Air Force and 14 plus years in top Fortune 100 companies. Of all my years of working, 9 years in the Air Force was the most rewarding and I would do it all over again.

Like others have commented. Do what is right by your family. Regarding job choice, I would take the county job.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

If you don’t mind the outstanding individuals you’ll be incarcerating. The jailor job sounds very secure. But security isn’t everything. I work in mental health and I get to meet a lof of the same fine folks you’ll be meeting.
    If you don’t take the job personally, you’ll be fine.

dd

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Right now, family comes first…if you can’t feed them, how will you feel. You can do “fun jobs” when they are on their own…that’s my .02…for what it’s worth….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

seems like a great chance to do both!.. if they dont buy a boat from them… jail them till they do!..

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Could you take the jailer job and work part-time in sales(ie nights or weekends)? That way you could see how sales would go with a little extra security. Just a thought. Ted

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If you are wavering on which job to take (and you are) take the county job.

1) Sales is a much harder profession then people think. It’s commision based and if you don’t have your heart 100% into it you will fail. If you are always wondering “should I have taken that jailers job” you will suck at sales, period.

2)You will not strike gold selling boats, make a living yes, maybe even a very good living, but people do not turn over boats like they do cars.

3)If you have a family with kids, get the bennie’s a county job will offer.

4) If you want to fish all the time or when you want to. Go on welfare and let us support you.

Good luck in your descision, it seems pretty cut and dried to me, be a jailer.

beave
    MPLS

Take the Jailer position. I have a female friend who works @ Hennepin Co. Jail and loves it. Her hubby is a copper. He started there also. When we attend parties at their place, the people are AWESOME, quite a few jailers in the mix. And the stories they have are .

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Thanks everybody!! I appreciate your input. I’m taking the county job!!

jldii

Look at it this way, there are more people being put in jail each day than there are boats being sold. As a jailer, your job won’t be dependent on the economy, like in boat sales, if anything, the worse the economy gets, the more crime there is, the more people you’ll be locking down!! In other words, more job security. Plus, from what I’ve heard, the insurance benefits are pretty good too, which is a huge expense if you have to pay them out of pocket.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve been a Sheriff’s Deputy for almost 7yrs now. There is no doubt in my mind I would say take the Jailer job. Trust me there are many days I hate my job and wish I worked at a Cabela’s or Gander. BUT you can’t turn down the bennifits. The retirement, health insurance and the pay check…are usually the best you can get. The paycheck may not be as big of a one that you would get at the Marine Dealership all the time but it is a steady paycheck. There is always crime.

As far as having a crappy schedule and stuff…yep for a few years it will suck…you are gonna work your B-day, Thanksgiving, X-mas and other important things…but in a big department like Hennipen has turn over and you will move up on senority fairly fast I would think…so shift pick is better, vac picks are better so….what do ya do? I know I had to do it. Make a list of Pro’s and Con’s and then think of the future…If you want to talk PM me and I’ll get you my phone number.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Brian, I am a job counselor and have been one for over 20 years. You made the only logical choice in taking the jailer job. You family comes before ANYTHING else in your life. Good luck and congratulations.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Brian, I think you made the right choice. Selling boats sounds like a dream job but more stability at the county job plus this is the slow time for boat sales and it could make for a long winter without much action.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.