Plasma or LCD?

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Santa is bringing a new 42″ TV this Christmas. Plasma or LCD?
    Experiences and preferences?

krisko
    Durand, WI

Who cares you gettin’ a big screen…Everything aside I have no idea…both are super nice TV pictures.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Santa is bringing a new 42″ TV this Christmas. Plasma or LCD?
    Experiences and preferences?

Preferences? I prefer Chips and Salsa as well as cold beer… I am not sure what everyone else wants you to supply when all of IDA comes over for the Super Bowl?!?!

Blazeman
    Detroit Lakes

With the price of Plasma’s now I would go Plasma. I have a LCD Love it but with the price being so close If I were to do it now I would go plasma. Either way, Im sure you will love the picture.

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

I am going through the same decision right now.

At that size they are pretty much the same price. I read that it depends on what room you are putting it in. If the room has a lot of natural light then I would go with the LCD. The LCD produces a brighter screen than the plasma.

I assume that you are going to hang this on the wall so I would consider any windows and how bright it gets in there.

Either way you really can’t go wrong

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I just got a Plasma and absolutly love it.
    My buddies have LCDs and DLPs and they all love them too.
    Like people have said above, you really can’t got wrong with any of them.
    My 2 cents is:
    I would though stay with a more reputable brand than saving on the initial cost. (For instance buy a Panasonic as oppose to a Westinghouse)

Either one you chose you will love it!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Quote:

My 2 cents is:
    I would though stay with a more reputable brand than saving on the initial cost. (For instance buy a Panasonic as oppose to a Westinghouse)

Either one you chose you will love it!

I couldn’t agree more!

cav90
    Chisago City, MN

I just bought one of the off brand tv’s that were on sale after thanksgiving. It’s an lcd tv and love it. While wanted to get a brand name tv, I just didn’t have sony money at the time. In my opinion you can be just as happy with an off brand tv and have a little extra change in your pocket at the end of day.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

One thing to keep in mind, the LCD screens are hard to view at an angle. Screen blacks out.

Plasma has blacker black than LCD. Both screens can burn an image on them, so don’t let an idol image display for a long period of time. (Video games, Pause – etc.)

I think I remeber reading that Panasonic was named best overall set by consumer rerports. (Don’t quote me on that however….)

-J.

BigWalleyes
    Waterloo, IA

Plasma is the way to go. Just purchased this Panasonic 50″ Plasma HDTV Model: TH-50PX60U from Best Buy. Researched the net and found it for $1999.00 and took it to best buy and they matched the price. Excellent TV Retail for TV was $2799.00

eyebuster
    Duluth

My secretary sells T.V.’s and she complains all the time when people come in and say I bought my T.V. at walmart and now it does not work. When she tells them their is nothing that they can do because of how the companies make T.V.’s for walmart they usually get real mad. Just a word of caution, Some people may buy em from there and are happy but if something goes wrong she says they are hard to fix!!

This is not my experience but hers!

For me if I was spending that amount of money on a t.v. I would go to a place where they specialize in them. Her shop is giving the same price as Best Buy and you will always get great service!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I would go plasma, blacker blacks and just a bit sharper picture to my eye.

LCD’s havea viewing angle very similar to plasma. DLP and other projection types (one of which is also called LCD to add confusion) have the different brightnesses at different angles. The LCD’s which are like a computer screen have excellent angles, my bro has a 36 inch Sharp.

When I looked a few weeks back, 40+ inch LCD were ALOT more than same sized plasma.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I just researched this with my parents for about a month. We ended up with a 1080p 46″ Samsung Plasma. I am very happy with it. My buddy has a 60″ LCD that he is not happy with. I have not seen it, but he says it isn’t as clear as he thought it would be.

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Quote:

Both screens can burn an image on them, so don’t let an idol image display for a long period of time. (Video games, Pause – etc.)

-J.

I just read that is actually not totally true…

Misconception #3: LCD TVs suffer from burn-in.

Absolutely untrue. LCD monitors work by blocking light, so it is literally impossible for burn-in to occur on the screen. LCD TVs are sometimes referred to as “transmissive” displays, meaning that light isn’t created by the liquid crystals themselves. Instead, a light source (bulb) behind the panel shines light through the display, which uses liquid crystals to manipulate the intensity of that light. When light is generated from a source external to the display screen itself, images cannot be permanently—or even temporarily—retained.

You can check out this for website for more LCD TV buying tips.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

One thing to keep in mind, the LCD screens are hard to view at an angle. Screen blacks out.

Plasma has blacker black than LCD. Both screens can burn an image on them, so don’t let an idol image display for a long period of time. (Video games, Pause – etc.)

I think I remeber reading that Panasonic was named best overall set by consumer rerports. (Don’t quote me on that however….)

-J.

That’s pretty much what the salesperson told me last year when I was TV shopping. It was at Best Buy and the sales guy didn’t have a great deal good to say about either plasma or LCD. Images on the screens, difficult to view at angles and most important a much shorter life of the screen than the tube TV’s. He told me that an estimated life of a plasma screen is less than 10 years and LCD is even shorter. LCD’s are bright to start but lose their intensity quickly. He also told me that if I waited a couple years that the price would drop dramatically. I ended up buying a Sony Wega system tube type TV. It has a fantastic picture and I figured that in 2 or 3 years I would be able to buy a plasma for half of what it would cost me today.

Eyehunter

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Plasma or LCD?

Don’t you mean;

Vexilar or Marcum?
    Clam or Otter?
    Jiffy or Strikemaster?
    Aqua-Vu or Marcum?
    ATV or Snowmobile?
    H2O or H20C?
    Lakemaster or Navionics?

If you have all these answered than I would get the
    plasma.

dandorn

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Santa is bring a new HDTV to our house too!!!

This is an upgrade to our ‘theater’ room downstairs so I’m most interested in getting the biggest screen for the $$s. I’ve decided on a 61″ Samsung DLP rear projection (6187 model). It’s only 11″ thick, weighs around 80 lbs (pretty light for rear projection) and the image quality is top-notch. Top resolution is 1080p and the contrast ratio is 10,000:1. While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the top-of-the-line Sony, the picture quality is by far the best I’ve seen in a screen that big. There’s plenty of inputs (2 HDMI, bunch of component inputs, etc) so I’ll be able to feed the X-Box 360, HDTV Cable, and a HD-DVD drive right into it and I’ll be running the audio through a brand-spanking new (thanks you so much Santa ) 7.1 Surround Sound sytem (decided on the HTIB from Onkyo – model 790).

Should be a BEACH’N setup by the time I’m done…

(sorry guys… first post used the word to describe a female dog instead of “beach” )

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We have also been shopping for one for the new house. My only concern with the plasma is our living room has a huge window with lots of natural light. The glare off the glass would probably drive me nuts. So, I’m going LCD, 1080p, blue ray compatible. Likely the Samsung.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Just thought I’d chime in here as I’ve done a lot of research in the past few years and enjoy these “toys”.

Anyways, the hippest thing now are all the flat screens, but before you dive in, consider the micro-projection tv’s.

Way more bang for the buck (size) and when the picture goes out, you replace the bulb and your back in business.

You can choose from DLP or LCD.

I realize that wasn’t part of your question, but just my thoughts on this.

Also I wouldn’t waste my money on 1080p yet. It will be a long time until programming is available in 1080p. All the stations have done there upgrades and I’m sure they are not in a hurry to do it again.

The only way you can currently get 1080p is with HD-DVD, BluRay, or a high end PC, and those will be your only choices for quite a while.

If you decide to go with Plasma, don’t go on the cheap. I know a few people who had them (cheap ones) burn out totally and even with the extended warranty (BB), gave up becasue the red tape was such a pain in the arse.

Good Luck!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Santa is bring a new HDTV to our house too!!!

This is an upgrade to our ‘theater’ room downstairs so I’m most interested in getting the biggest screen for the $$s. I’ve decided on a 61″ Samsung DLP rear projection (6187 model). It’s only 11″ thick, weighs around 80 lbs (pretty light for rear projection) and the image quality is top-notch. Top resolution is 1080p and the contrast ratio is 10,000:1. While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the top-of-the-line Sony, the picture quality is by far the best I’ve seen in a screen that big. There’s plenty of inputs (2 HDMI, bunch of component inputs, etc) so I’ll be able to feed the X-Box 360, HDTV Cable, and a HD-DVD drive right into it and I’ll be running the audio through a brand-spanking new (thanks you so much Santa ) 7.1 Surround Sound sytem (decided on the HTIB from Onkyo – model 790).

Should be a BEACH’N setup by the time I’m done…

(sorry guys… first post used the word to describe a female dog instead of “beach” )

King, just so you know, you won’t be able to use HDMI with the 360……at least not yet (probably never). You will have to use the component cables (1080i) for the HD-DVD and won’t get the TrueHD sound that HDMI offers.

Also the only way to get a 1080p picture is with the VGA adapter/cable and I’ve heard that the 1080i picture with component is as good or even better than the VGA picture.

I’ve been eyeballing the HD-DVD for my 360 since it came out.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I also believe Panasonic is the way to go. Consumer Reports has them at the top. Best Buy had the 42″ model for 999 on Black Friday. They are about $1300 right now. Think prices will be better after X-mas?

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hi guys I claim to know nothing about this stuff.
    However My 1983 RCA 25 inch died.
    So I went out and purchased 32 inch Panasonic TC-32LE 60
    LCD from Best Buy.
    I was in the store and stared at all the pictures for about an hour. This one I thought had the best picture.
    Also I have HBC cable with the digital connections and there are only about 6 or 7 HDTV channels. Which when there is a program on the sound and picture is awesome.
    I have my TV mounted six feet up a wall.. The viewing angles for me are just excellent.
    All I can say is I hope that this lasts as long as my RCA, Also I didn’t know what I was missing until I bought this the sound is awesome and the picture is alot better.

Good luck on your next purchase.

JonathanTegeler
    Manchester, Iowa

i have been doing reasearch on these toys I think DLP is also a good way to go. Toshiba is one good brand.sony makes good tv’s but they do not make a plasma at this time. LG also makes a very nice TV.any more questions let me know i know a few things about these.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

if you had to buy a 42″ plasma what would be your choice?
    this will be used for viewing sports and movies. no game playing or using it as a cpu monitor. i haven’t pulled the trigger yet. just trying to compile info for an informed purchase

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I’d get a DLP and nothing else. I wouldn’t spend the extra $$ on 1080P either. I researched more than I should of, and settled on the 56″ Samsung DLP.

You will be happy with any new tv you get. The picture quality improvement is amazing on all levels, in the past few years.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I’d get a DLP and nothing else.

They are great TV’s too.

My wife worked part-time at a call center for appliance repair. Plasma TV’s were the most problematic. Also, the salesmen said they won’t last as long like other TV sets.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I prefer LCD over DLP and both of those over Plasma.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The one big issue I have with DLP is the vertical viewing angle. If your laying on the floor, like kids like to do, it’s really dark. With kids, it is an issue. The side to side viewing angle is better with plasma and LCD too.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

my 27 RCA DIED today Iam looking either a panasonic tc-32lx60 or a samsung ln-s3292d.Internet research only going to check them out tommorow.Wish me luck.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

King, just so you know, you won’t be able to use HDMI with the 360……at least not yet (probably never). You will have to use the component cables (1080i) for the HD-DVD and won’t get the TrueHD sound that HDMI offers.

Also the only way to get a 1080p picture is with the VGA adapter/cable and I’ve heard that the 1080i picture with component is as good or even better than the VGA picture.

I’ve been eyeballing the HD-DVD for my 360 since it came out.

I know… that really bites that Microsoft hasn’t upgraded the 360 for true 1080p output – yet… the HD-DVD drive is real bargain ($200) and I really believe its just a matter of time before they release the 1080p upgrade and HDMI connector cable.

As for whether to buy a 1080p TV now or not – I’m a believer in “future” compatability… HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players just reached the market so the prices are a bit high but, as with all electronics, its only a matter of time before competition drives the prices down. More and more DVDs are and will be recorded in these formats. I doubt it will take any more than a year before these become as readily available as current DVDs. With that in mind, I think if you’re laying down the ka-ching now for a TV, you’ll be sorry if you don’t get 1080p.

On a side note: I believe the Samsung I mentioned above ‘up-converts’ 1080i signals to pseudo-1080p such that image quality is a bit better on this set than on a straight 1080i screen.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.