Dog recommendations

• eyebuster
    Duluth

We are looking at getting a pup and after a long debate we finally settled on a few things. We are looking for a dog that is good family dog that we can have inside but that I will also be able to take bird hunting now and again. We were thinking about a springer but if anyone has some other reccomendations that would be great. Also looking for a good breader so if anyone has one in mind and would be willing to share that would be great. we are lookng at spending around $400 for one.

Thanks
    Brandon

Chris
    Rochester, MN

A dog that I have had my heart set on for years is a Weimaraner. A Weimaraner is a short hair dog and is slightly larger than a Springer. They need about as much exercise as a Springer. They are good family dogs and originally bred for hunting. I have seen them sold for $400.

I am waiting until I can buy a different house before I buy one of these animals…They deserve a larger yard than I have. A really awesome family dog is a Yorkie but they are a little too small and I haven’t been able to teach mine how to hunt yet. Anyone have any tips?

Chris

pafollmer
    Brooklyn Center MN

You can never go wrong with a lab. My friend in Milaca has a great lab, stays in the house with the family. But when its time to hunt she is all busuness.

paul

eyedoctor2

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Springers are good dogs but as one of my family members have learned as they get older they kinda get tempermental. I would suggest going LAB! Alot less care after working them in the field,burrs,leaves etc. Labs are pretty free of those problems and are very calm in family environments.. Just my .02

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I went with a golden retriever with hunting lines. It was a great choice for me!

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Buster….depends on a couple things…size of house, type of hunting done…

Me, personally, would buy another chessie, without a doubt! Ferocious hunters, great family pets (mine was), and God forbid if someone tries to get into the house…The chessie will die protecting his property (you, wife, kids, home)

That’s my .02

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

So Big D…tell us how you “really” feel about those Chessies

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I have grew up with springers my whole life..i have a springer that is 8 years now and she stays in the house…best hunting dog ive ever had..shes GREAT with kids and is a good all around partner…with my job i work different hours then most so shes my partner on days off as well and goes everywhere with me…as other posters said labs are nice…BUT you want it in the house..if i read your post correctly..labs tend to be larger then springers and they have a crazy tail to knock things over..just my 2 cents…no matter what you get good luck…jay…check out http://www.lighthousekennels.com

2Fishy4U

I personally own a German Shepherd, but for a family pet and a dog that loves the outdoors, I would highly recommend a yellow lab. My son has a two year lab, as well as a 4 month old pup. The older dog is about perfect and extremely gentle.

The dog participates in Dock Diving contests, and as a result we come into contact with some of the other breeds mentioned. Frankly, I would have concerns with a few of those breeds as family pets.

If you want more info send me a personal E Mail.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

my dog experience is extensive… Ive either owned or been around nearly every hunting breed…. in MY list of dogs a springer would be near the top.. I like their looks.. I like that they are not BIG…. I like their personality…. Ive had two springers… one developed an attitude problem because it was tormented in the kennel by kids in the neighborhood… if you were a kid with a stick… god help you… drop that stick and all was well…. the next springer I brought into my house… no attitude problems ever… Ive heard of springer rage.. it seems to be a show dog condition.. stick with hunting lines of springers…. the ones I had were awesome hunters… and great all around dogs…. my opinion about dogs.. get the one you want.. as long as it fits your life style.. its a factor of size, energy, looks and attitude that makes a dog match your life style…
    what other (hunting) dogs have I owned?
    German Shorthair
    English Pointer
    English Setter
    Gordon Setter
    Boykin Spaniel

breeds Ive been around a LOT…
    Brittany Spaniel
    German Wirehair
    Vizla
    Golden Retriever
    Labs Black, chocolate, yellow, chessie
    the remaining hunting breeds most likely Ive seen working in the field.. usually tournaments and competitions

ok.. so I was kinda into hunting for a while!.. I lived in Iowa fur heavens sake….
    oh.. and your NOT interested in coon hounds R ya? or bear dogs? Ive been around them too… didnt meet any Id consider good house pets… but then they kept them all chained up outside… and all they wanted to do was get into it with a bear or a coon… (or bout anything really)

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i used to own an afghan hound and I had to sell her when I moved into this house. she was a great dog, she loved to curl up with me on the couch and she was also a bed hog. I never did anything hunting with her, but they are concidered a sight hound that are used for small game animals (i think). it was alot of fun owning her, hopefully I can find another dog like her when I get out of this home.

shane

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

oh yeah.. I forgot!.. sight hounds.. I did that hunt only once.. was pretty exciting.. a pack of gray hounds vs a coyote…. it was quite a chase.. but he got away in the end… which with a sight hound means he got out of sight somehow…. I dont think Id recomend one as a pet.. unless you have lots of room for them to run.. they LOVE to run… and man.. are they something to see when they do…. they seem to fly over the ground (can hit 45 mph on a track!)… makes me wonder what it must be like to see a cheetah run…. since they are (hard to imagine) 25mph faster… and can pass a gray hound like its standing still! (or maybe they wouldnt pass it… just knock it down and eat it…)

KirtH
    Lakeville

Lab

2Fishy4U

Absolutely, if you want a great outdoors dog and a family pet.

Talking about coon hounds and all this other stuff seems strange when the guy asked about a fasmily pet. Most dogs simply have one ambition in life and are darn good at it, but it is not playing with the family. Labs, Golden Retirevers and darn I say German Shepherds are a bit different.

But, all in all you are right on, the lab.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I spose your right on all the other stuff…
    if you like BIG dogs.. than sure a lab.. little kids dont really like getting tail whippped in the face… and Ive seen it happen plenty of times….. and if you put anything at tail level.. bye bye… I hate when that happens to my beer!.. but I should be holding it at all times!
    springers.. CANT tail whip.. and are smaller… with a similar attitude and outlook…. and eat less food…. and produce less… well… you know….
    but here In Mn… this is the heart of Lab country… and Id say hands down they are the MOST popular dog going around here… so LOTS of litters to choose from… that usually means you can get one cheap…. but purchase price is a small thing when you consider the 12+ years you will have the dog….
    happiness is the biggest… cant go wrong… springer or lab… both are great choices
    though Id choose springer…. you always go with what youve had I think

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m a bit disappointed that noone has anything to say about the Weimaraner. Good, bad….anything?

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Sent you a PM with this link also. My next dog is coming from him. I know many that have dogs from him and love them. You may have read some of his articles in Outdoor News about dogs and training. One of the best trainers out there. Give Chad or Jodi a call. He has Labs and Shorthairs.

Willow Creek Kennels

eyebuster
    Duluth

Thanks for all the responses but we are sure that we (she) wants a smaller dog to start out with. I was thinking on a springer or brittany, I might have found a place. I would love a lab but the tail thing causes a problem!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I had a Weimaraner as a child and it was a great dog but I’d say a better outside dog than in the house, overall.

eyebuster,

I have two kids with my youngest being age five. I had originally thought we would need to go with a smaller dog but after doing the a lot of asking around we ended up getting a yellow lab. She is an outstanding companion for my children and she is very easy on the house/furniture. Sure, a lab is a bit larger but the larger dogs tend to be easier to train. Larger dogs also appear to be the most gentle with children. One thing I love about labs is that they are eager to please and they are a typical pack dog. Once you establish yourself as the alpha, all you have to do is give them “that look” and they fall in line.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I had a Brittany and if I bought another which would be very, very unlikly I would do alot of research on temperment of that dogs parents and so on. My Brit was always very aggresive and had to be put down. Not saying there all bad, but if I bought another I wouldn’t buy from just anyone. I talked with the Brit rescue society before I put ours down and they told me that the problems I was having was not uncomon with that breed. If you want to know more details on my experience send me a PM and I will tell you what I have learned.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Wade, I couldnt have said it better myself. I agree 100 % there is a reason there are more akc registered labs than any other breed. and then think of all of the unregisterd “mutt” lab owners out there

2Fishy4U

I agree; however, one note of caution. Regardless of what type of dog you get during the first year or so they are going to chew on stuff. And for whatever reason dogs seem to like carpets, table legs, etc. more then any pet toy you can buy them. The labs seem to be especially attracted to wood.

My son’s yellow lab chewed on stuff for the first year or so, but since has been perfect and is allowed to roam the house when they are working.

Perhaps the lab isn’t the best bird hunter, but for a family pet and a great duck retriever this dog is tough to beat.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I have a german wirehair pointer, he is almost three and still wound up tight. I just put in an invisible fence and that has been a real blessing. He will hunt till your legs fall off and then let the kids ride him around the house. He stays in the kennel when we aren’t there and does great with it. Once he did get out and brought all (100+) stuffed animals downstairs and put them in a pile for us. Good dog, would get another one in a heartbeat.

mjk318
    SE Minnesota

I have a six year old German Shorthair that is a great hunting dog. She has a very gentle personality and has been great with my family. Pointers by nature are kinda “high strung” but with exercise and attention they are a very good family dog.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I have a GSP too. 3 years old and still a little hyper; but is really a good housedog and hunting dog. Any shortcomings she has are from having a poor trainer (me) and not the breed. She is real high energy when we hunt or play but she can flip a switch and be a couch potato too. I really like GSP’s and Weimereiners (spelling?) fun dogs to watch hunt and seem to be real tolerant of kiddies.

dd

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have hunted behind a ton of dogs. You can’t go wrong with any dog, as long as you put in the time to train it properly. My main concern when I was looking for a dog was genetic problems. The problem with labs and golden retreivers has always been there are a lot of “bad” breeders out there. By this I mean they allow the poor traits of these dogs to breed through (hip displasia, temperment, etc.) My thoughts have always been to get a dog with as little chance of that as possible. Now that is not saying there are not good labs out there, you just have to do your research.

I also wanted to go with a short hair dog, for cleaning purposes after we are out of the field. I hunt a vizsla (similar to a weimeraner, but light brown), and have never been disapointed. He will do anything I ask, and will clean himself in his kennel in about 10 minutes. The only problem I have with him, is he always wants to be right next to you.

And for my money, there is nothing better then watching a dog on point. I have a great picture from this weekend, but forgot the camera at home.

Good luck, and do your homework.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

one thing I learned.. discussing dog breeds is like discussing religion… by that I mean.. when someone has locked in on a breed… often times there IS no other breed.. that one is the greatest bar none…. and you dont DIS their breed.. or furs gonna fly… after hunting with LOTS of dogs… you start to see they are all good…. well.. all good and all bad… in every breed there are good ones and bad one… and of course training really helps… you can take a dog with average ability.. if its well trained.. it will be a good dog… and if it has lots of drive and is well trained.. it will be a great dog…

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think Rivereyes hit the nail on the head

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.