Another Hunting Fatality

• VikeFan

An elderly man was shot and killed by a hunter in Mississippi Palisades State Park in western Illinois. The story Carroll County man, dog are killed by deer hunter is a little vague on details. Apparently, the victim was walking his dog in an area of the state park closed off to the public due to deer hunting.

The article makes it sound as if the man and his dog were both killed by the hunter, but other accounts say that wasn’t so. It is also not clear whether the victim was wearing blaze orange or was in heavy cover. The newspaper suggests that the victim was killed by a shot intended for a deer, with the victim in the background.

robby
    Quad Cities

This guy was walking his dog in an area of the park closed to non deer hunters. He walked right past a sign stating such. His dog was a very large brown german shepherd. He was walking across some prarie grass, the hunter shot. As the hunter approached the dog ran and he shot it. Only then did the hunter find the dead man and realize he had been shooting at a dog. Both the dog and the man were killed. There was another hunting fatality just south of where I live outside Milan, IL. It sounds like the hunter had a heart attack and then fell out of his stand. That is just the neighborhood rumor though, details have not been released. Elsewhere in Illinois a 15 y/o was killed while pulling a dead deer up into the bed of a pick up. He had his shotgun loaded leaning against the truck. Story has it that the deer slipped from his hands, knocked the shotgun over which discharged and killed him. Let’s all be safe.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Regaurdless of heavey cover or blaze orange if you are not sure of your target you dont shoot. I think they should give these cracker heads from the city a picture test before they give them a tag.Thats my 2cents

mjk318
    SE Minnesota

It’s more than unfortunate…one shot and a life time of regret, someone looses a beloved family member. I agree that you need to be sure of what you are shooting at and your background. Let’s all be extra careful out there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.