Who is hunting who?

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I got this from my uncle, I do not know who to credit the photo to..
    But WOW!!!!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

That Magpie isn’t sticking around to see who wins!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

What an awesome picture Tuck

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Just wait til that bird sinks the left talons in, talk about taking it in a soft spot!!!

KTERSINAR
    marion IA

that is one hell of a shot want that for a screen saver

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Right click on the pic…

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Must be a golden eagle. They are the biggest I believe.
    Awsome pic.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

That bugger could carry me away…wow nice pic!!!

muskygator
    Foley MN

WOW! That is a great picture. I would not like to run in with that bird. Who is the dominant predator now?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Holy Cow!!!!! That is cool. He just learned his place in the food chain.

sumerr
    Minnesota

That is a PRO shot there. Nice high shutter speed on that camera of your Uncle’s!

I’ll bite… What’s the next photo? – up, up and away?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Like I said, I got it from my uncle, I have no idea who took it. Pretty darn nice though…

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

its on boone&crocketts website under trophy watch.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

ok.. is the joke on me?
    as a judge of photography I would say this has been what they call “photo shoppped”…..
    but nice job!! they took a lot of time with it…. I think the bird is an mature golden eagle.. then a coyote… and yeah.. a black billed magpie….
    if you look closer at the coyote.. there is a rope around his right rear leg.. near the foot.. as if he had been killed and hung up…. which from the perspective is exactly what Id say happened… there is also a blur right in the chest area.. Id say where the bullet hole was repaired…
    the perspective of the eagle is a bit off.. its a bit too big.. the magpie has to be well in front of the event.. magpies are 18-22 inches long! its hard to say how far back the eagle is.. but lets face it.. a magpie ISNT going to be on the ground close to a coyote… not REAL close!.. well.. not alive and for long… anyway.. Id guess this would make the eagle around 8-9 feet wingspan.. maybe bigger.. just a tad bigger than a large golden eagle… close though… the coyote is a bit too big too… just a bit though…. the lighting on the pair is beautifully done… a great job of parallel lighting and exposure!… just right for cut and paste…..

neither of the eagles claws are engaged with the coyote… sure it could be dropping it… but why did it attack from the back instead of the head (like normal?).. when killing something this big.. the talons need to go into the brain.. not the a s s….. a coyote will weigh at least 30#s.. the eagle is NOT going to lift it off the ground… nope…
    but even if I ignore the fact that the eagles wings are too sharp on the upper edge ( a good indication of cut and paste. the flying snow also looks “funny” more like blur than snow)…. there are TWO real killers here that are simple photography… just HOW close was that photographer standing and what kind of lens was he using?.. his depth of field is incredible!..
    so to get that and keep a shudder speed high enough to stop action THIS fast…. wow… just HOW did he do that? a telephoto would have the reach he would need.. but he is still going to have to be within 50 feet for this kind of detail (and yeah.. coyotes dont care if your that close do they? nor do eagles.. heck golden eagles are practically tame and they cant see well enough to know your there anyway!)…. with a minimum of 400mm focal length… there is a table to calculate this kind of thing… using focal length and fstop to calculate DOF (depth of field)… he has focus on the background as far back as you can see!… incredible!.. Ive taken photos of bald eagles at 50 feet with 400mm… geeeeee… Im jealous.. I dont get that kind of dof… ok.. so if I do that math… lets see… my formula uses meters.. Ill be generous and put him 20 meters away.. (I think he has to be closer!).. using F22…. with a 400mm ok.. is DOF is around 3.5 meters… Id say his REAL dof appears infinite… at there must be at least 30 feet of DOF with NO change in clarity…. well… anyway….
    very nice photo shop work… but NOT real… thats MY opinion….

sumerr
    Minnesota

Crazy cool.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

oh well.. Tuck… just cuz I say all that.. dont make me right… they are saying the animal is a fox.. not a coyote… Id say that could be true… in the shadow its tough to see.. does have some fox markings.. not real strong.. but strong enough… and being a fox makes an attack belieavable… fox are much smaller… and could certainly be killed.. and lifted for a little ways (maybe!)… though I still stand by what I say about the DOF!.. and that rope (or some kind of band) around the leg… well thats weird! lol
    I dont know why I just HAD to waste a bunch of time checking into this!… but it was interesting… thats for sure.. a shot of a lifetime if real…. which makes me wonder why Ive not seen it winning in wildlife contests.. as far as I can see first references to this shot were late last fall…. those are the first I found anyhoo….

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

General description: The Golden Eagle is named for the golden buff-colored feathers on the crown and nape of the neck. The adult body color is usually dark brown, and the dark-tipped tail is either darkly barred or spotted. Adult plumage is acquired over a three to four year period and involves a gradual reduction in the amount of white coloration. Immature Golden Eagles have white wing patches and white at the base of the tail. This bird has a wing span from 6-7 feet (1.8-2.1 m) and weighs 8-12 pounds (3.6-5.4 kg). It may carry a weight up to 7 pounds, but prey averages around 2 pounds.

Food habits: The Golden Eagle feeds mainly on ground squirrels, hares, and birds such as cranes, owls, and ptarmigans. While golden eagles are capable of killing large game animals (i.e., Dall sheep lambs, etc.), few killings have been observed. Eagles also feed on carrion.

Not really conclusive…

01bullitt
    Cedar Falls, IA

i think the magpie was flying away from the fox and the golden eagle flew down and smoked the fox

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

A friend of mine emailed me this… so that while the eagle was eating fox.. I could eat some crow…. this was taken by a finnish professional photographer.. I went to HIS website.. which is just a photo of HIM with a camera nearly EXACTLY like what I use… huh… isnt that funny?

oh well.. enjoy…

I got to find some crow recipe…

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/eaglefox.asp

*sheese* obviously I have NO idea whats real and what isnt!! I got fooled by the ship crossing Lake Superior gag too.. it was crossing the North Atlantic.. I even researched it and found nothing.. so I figured… hmmm ok.. Ill bite!.. and thats what happened here to.. when I researched there was nothing… not until 2 days after Christmas… the original shots were taken nearly a year ago…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.