Lost my huntin buddy today

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Remember that post Bowman made about Ehrlichiosis? >Bob Bowman’s Post on Ehrlichiosis< Well it got too far with my pup before it was diagnosed and I had to have him put to sleep today. It got to the point where he lost all his muscle mass and he couldn’t get up anymore. He’d try his little heart to get up just to please me but he finally couldn’t do it.

I’ve now lost 2 dogs to this condition in the past 6 months. And I’ve come to realization that there is no 100% tick prevention other than keeping them out of the woods. Both my dogs were treated heavily with tick meds because I hunted with them so much. After going through this, I wonder if I should even hunt with another dog.

Theres no screwing around with Ehrlichiosis. If you don’t catch it quick, chances are you won’t. Its becoming a very popular disease and is very dificult to diagnose.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss Matt.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s a good looking dog, Matt. Sorry to hear about your loss.

-J.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

That is a darn shame. Sorry to hear it.

Can you tell me a little more about this disease. I am concerned because my dog is out constantly.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Matt,
    From one dog lover to another…I’m very sorry for your loss

fish2live
    hampton,mn

sorry to hear about your loss i can’t even imagine what it will be like when it’s my pups time.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Im sorry to hear about your loss .

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Very sorry to hear of your loss Matt.
    Thanks, Bill

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

sorry to hear that matt. hang in there!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Matt, I’m really sorry to hear that bud. Both dogs… that’s gotta be tough.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Matt,

Sorry to hear about this…I had a Chessie 6 years ago who went into liver failure, put him on meds…took half the bottle back as it was too late, had to put him down…toughest day in my life

D

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Sorry about your loss.

Gundy

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

True bummer my dog had it. Caught it in time the crap is nasty. Hard to take but you must have a Dog

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Sorry to hear that also. I have a 13 year old Lab and I don’t think he will be around too much longer either. You have to climb that mountain again and get that pup and teach it all you can, that would be the only way to hunt again. I can’t imagine hunting without a dog!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Matt, I am sorry to hear about your loss. Two in such a short time.

Ron

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Sorry for your loss but you will always have memories to fall back on.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Sorry for the loss… I currently own a Springer and have had them my whole life..they are great dogs.

smp500
    Duluth MN

Matt, I don’t think you should give up on dogs, cus’ I think a dog could have a lot worse life than livin’ and hunting with you. I know its hard on a guy, but keep your head up and give another pup a chance to enjoy life, however long or short it may be…..

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Sorry for your loss Matt. Lenny’s right…..It’s a damn shame!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Sorry to hear of your loss, but don’t give up, life is short, enjoy it to the fullest.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sorry to hear it buddy. Nothing tougher than that. I’m at a loss for words. I’ll be giving my pooch an extra belly rub in memeory of your PUP tonight Matt. Hang in there buddy.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Like all the posts above, sorry to hear of that Matt.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Soryy for your loss Matt. Keep your head up!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr. Grow, I kid with you much. Not in this post. Putting a family member down is not something I can deal with easily. Takes the smile right off my face…as you are feeling now.

There are few things in life that can give a fellow the happiness of a dog…more so with a hunting dog, because of the hunting bond that only a master and a pooch can understand.

Anyone that has owned a dog…a best friend feels your pain. Your question should be…is the pain worth the bond of a new dog. Only you can answer that.

Thanks for sharing Matt, out hearts go out to you.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Matt, I have lost two chessies…not so close as you, but still lost. I will be thinking and wishing you the best!
    I have my third!

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Sorry for your loss. It was the hardest day I have had in a long time when I had to put mine down! Never heard of this disease before. Thanks for the info even though it is painful!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Sorry to hear of this, it is truly sad.

Best wishes for you and your friend.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

sorry to hear this Matt.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.