Deer sausage fiasco…

• fishinfool
    mn

Ye Old Butcher in Rochester gives a cost after weighing the meat and that cost is what you pay, (if you bring the meat in clean and trimmed. I HAVE NEVER PAID A ESTIMATE, ALWAYS WHAT THEY QUOTE , same in St. Charles and Chatfield. ESTIMATING IS CRAPOLA. They know what it cost if they have been doing it for long. FISHINFOOL

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Tuck, I hear your pain, but I also want to say that not all the Von Hanson’s work that way. I know the two owners of the Monticello store and they have treated me, Pheasants Forever, Crosby-Ironton teachers when they were on strike last year, etc…. with great product and cost. I think they have the best products and they (Monticello) would stand behind the product and make sure the customer is always happy. Sorry your experience hadn’t been up the level of years past at this VH store, but I hope everyone doesn’t paint with too wide a paintbrush about how the other VH stores work. That would be like saying all G3 boats are bad if you had a bad one, and we know that isn’t true. Or since a Browning gun jammed, then they are all bad. I know you might not go to them again, but I will bet you that they will still attempt to make things right. I know Tuck is a great guy and I know the Von Hanson’s stores that I have been to (Elk River, Baxter, Monticello, etc…) have always been good too, it was just something that went bad this time and I hope that the Von Hanson’s store in Cottage Grove can “fix” this situation. Happy Hunting and Fishing to everyone.

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

Can’t agree more about GREG’S MEATS in Hampton! The best recipies and reasonable rates. For anybody that makes their own sausage or w/e he also sells many seasoning packets.

Here is a link to view Greg’s success and some of his rates for processing….
    Greg’s Meats

Trust me, even if you don’t get anything processed there, go anyways and try out their products!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

but I hope everyone doesn’t paint with too wide a paintbrush about how the other VH stores work.

You are correct. Absolutely correct. I probably should not have used this soap box to air this issue. Cooler heads have prevailed, and Andy, the Manager called me today after he heard about this post on IDA. He is a stand up guy, and I give him a lot of credit for calling me back today.

Tim_C
    MN

I have always wondered how you can buy a ring of beef bologna at the butcher shop for $3.50 lb and and ring of deer bologna costs you $4.00 lb when you are giving them the meat to make it with.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Chris,

I worked at Von hansons throughout high school and I completely understand your reason to be upset. I just wanted to bring up the point that each store goes through literally hundreds of orders which unfortunatley causes mistakes to be made. However, every season many deer hunters would come in and treat the employees with disrespect and would shout about the smallest mixups that could have been easily fixed(Not saying that yours was small by any means)but when the butchers work close to 80 hour weeks preparing everyones deer the last thing they want is a customer screaming at them. Like I said you have the right to be upset about your meat and they shouldnt have messed up, its just unfortunate you decided to give up your business with a good company.

Lardy

That’s terrible customer service if you ask me! Not only did they stiff him on the 10 “extra”pounds ,but also by overshooting the “estimate by $160???? You have got to be kidding me! I’ll never go in there for much less than a bad steak! Thanks for the heads up Chris!!!!

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

If I don’t make it myself I always put my meat in the freezer and take it in after the first of the year. This way I know I am getting my own meat and they are not barried in work and able to help you. No matter how good VH meat shops stuff maybe, I would never take my meat to them because of what happened to you. They must be getting to big to care about customer service. I will find the local small town sausage place to get mine done. At least they care about their customers and not just making money. There are a ton of Sausage places that make great product.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

You are correct. Absolutely correct. I probably should not have used this soap box to air this issue. Cooler heads have prevailed, and Andy, the Manager called me today after he heard about this post on IDA. He is a stand up guy, and I give him a lot of credit for calling me back today.

Ok Chris, enough BS. IDA can be a double edge sword. But first, thanks for letting us know of your issue…information is what IDA is all about.

So the manager/owner called you…he gets on point for making the call…and one point taken away for hearing about the post and then making the call…so let’s just call it even.

How did he make it right with you? This is chance number two in my mind. Most businesses don’t have this opportunity. Your lack of info on his call…says…well, I’m not going to assume anything.

What was the resolution??

Did I mention that sharing good/bad experiances helps everyone?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I take mine to Hagbergs market in Lake Elmo…. Good stuff. Ask for Kristen and tell her you were referred by me. Your price will immeadietly double! No it won’t….She’s a buddy of mine.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You cannot go wrong with Greg’s in Hampton. They are the best of the best in my opinion.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

How did he make it right with you? This is chance number two in my mind. What was the resolution??

He offered to make it right by giving me the sticks. He still feels the math is right. I am not taking the meat. It was nice of him to offer.

Here is the deal, and VH not withstanding. When a customer is quoted a price, a decision is made at that time to order the product. In my case I had 53 pounds of meat, and to make 4 different kinds of sausage, I was told it would cost me $245. That was fine. But when you go to pick it up, and you are told it will be $160 more than the estimate, I lose my opportunity to say “Whoa!” That is too much. Just grind it, or give me a cheaper kind of sausage. We both said our piece, and came to an understanding. It was most likely an honest mistake.
    Done deal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

He still feels the math is right.

Customer service test failed on chance number two.

I don’t believe it was about “free” meat.

You’re right…time to move on.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Do deer make good cat bait?

bbfdog

go to pete’s meats in lewiston very good and honest

shayla

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, though not surprised. I tried the VonHansons in Elk River and Monticello and was displeased with both. It may be a ways out of your way, but I have heard lots of good reports about Meat on Mille Lacs up by Onamia. I think that’s where I’ll have my next sausage made.

2Fishy4U

Sounds like a great comapny; a bit more honestly would be appreciated.

Bottom line is I could order a side of beef from a repuitable place for less then these guys charged our friend.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

It may be a ways out of your way, but I have heard lots of good reports about Meat on Mille Lacs up by Onamia. I think that’s where I’ll have my next sausage made.

That is in fact where I will be getting it done. I have a place at Mille Lacs nowm and have bought meat there. VERY good! And you GET what you pay for.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I know that corcran meat locker used to make some dandy sausage, haven’t had any of thiers in a few years and couldn’t tell you if they are still good or not, just check it out.

shane

2Fishy4U

Chris, his final qoute is almost $8.00 a pound for sausage; absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like the guy in Lewiston might be a good alternative.

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

I would be steaming too. thats bs. in fact i accually work at meat on mille lacs. we are very fair priced, and take care of your meat. but i also would take the meat you want your sausage made out of after the deer season. otherwise it gets thrown into a bin with everyone else’s trim. in all reality its not that big of a deal because you dont even taste the venison in sausage but knowing im eating someone else’s deer would PERSONALLY bother me a little. other than that Meat On Mille Lacs has a very tight ship running, we clean up the meat the very best we can. i accually was the one grinding,and mixing all the venison sausage seasonings along with one other guy this year. wow was there a lot of meat going through that big grinder. anyways i would be really pissed about you experence there and i know personally i wouldnt go back.

wyatt

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.